PDA

View Full Version : Mech Warfare at Bay Area Maker Faire 2019

GhengisDhon
02-21-2019, 09:38 PM

Its not 100% guaranteed yet, but its looking highly, highly likely that Mech Warfare (along with other Robgame remnants) will be at the Bay Area Maker Faire for 2019. We should know all the details in the next couple of weeks, but start planning for it now. Pretty excited about it!

The Bay Area Maker Faire is scheduled for May 17-19 (Friday – Sunday). It's located at the San Mateo Fairgrounds not to far from where Robogames has been held the last few years.

We do need to get some idea of who is going to be there so they can plan for how big of a space we will need. The regular Tucson R-Team crew will be there along with Columbia University.

Please respond here in this post to give an initial idea of how many teams will be coming. Spread the word around too... in case not everyone is paying attention to the forums anymore. They entry fee is still “To Be Determined” but it is expected to be similar to Robogames. For all you college teams out there... the entry numbers will NOT be limited to “two” per registered Mech (as at Robogames) so no need to “pad” the number of Mechs you are bringing to get everyone in. In a few weeks, they will give me a link to a website that I can distribute to the teams to register.

As for format.. we're more open to running the event how we see fit (i.e., more than one format). Maker Faire would like to see as many matches/activity going on as possible. We can run it as in the past with a double elimination bracket tourney, or round robin, pick up matches, 2 vs 2, or whatever we like. We are open to suggestions...

Get your Mechs Ready... We would really like to see as many of the past teams as possible there!

jpieper
02-22-2019, 06:40 AM
I'm almost certain to bring at least one mech, likely two, with an outside chance of 3 depending upon if I can convince Mikhail to come.

jwatte
02-22-2019, 01:58 PM
That's 10 minutes from where I live and 5 minutes from where I work, so ... yeah, I'll have to be there. I'll borrow my daughter's AX-12 based 'mech. (Onyx has donated too many pieces to be recoverable at this point.)

GhengisDhon
02-22-2019, 11:04 PM
Guess I should list the Tucson Mechs that will be there as well

Confirmed are:

Nomad
Apophis
Domino
My new mech that has yet to be officially named

I'll add more as they confirm...

Robobaggins
Ra

byi
02-25-2019, 03:45 PM
The Princeton group will probably be bringing a mech. It's a new group, so we'll have to see if we can finish in time, but things are looking good. Looking forward to it!

GhengisDhon
03-03-2019, 07:53 PM
It's official. We're in.

The fee will be $40 for the full event pass or $15 for a day pass.

Stay tuned for the registration details.

GhengisDhon
03-03-2019, 07:54 PM
Columbia/West Point will be bringing 3 mechs.

And I understand Cal Poly will be there again with their Mech.

cire
03-03-2019, 08:23 PM
I've wanted to get back in the mix for a while, I might bring a new robot, or at the very least fix immortal up to compete again. I just need to figure out how to make good guns Don, is your offer still up?

jwatte
03-03-2019, 08:54 PM
Yeah, some kind of light preload on the feed seems needed. The design I've been using seemed to have a 10-15% dry fire / false load rate.
The twisty 1/4" spring feed seemed alright, although I don't thing we necessarily need the long feed-from-the-bottom setup that R-Team favors?

Gertlex
03-04-2019, 12:10 AM
There's a real chance Numa2 will be ready...!

Do we know registration, etc. deadlines for this yet?

GhengisDhon
03-04-2019, 08:47 PM
The Harvard Team is in as well.

GhengisDhon
03-04-2019, 08:58 PM
I just need to figure out how to make good guns Don, is your offer still up?

Yes. Offer is still good. Let me know what you need. I can either send you (or anyone else) the stl files for the gun (or even print you one if needed).

The barrels/hoppers it fits are:
https://www.evike.com/products/35481/
https://www.evike.com/products/41032/

I had some spare drive electronics for it... but not sure if I have any left. I can at least send you the schematics & code.

GhengisDhon
03-04-2019, 09:02 PM
Do we know registration, etc. deadlines for this yet?

I have the registration link but its a bit of an involved process so going to pioneer it first and figure it out before I send it out. Not sure what the deadline is though...

jwatte
03-05-2019, 02:28 PM
I would love STL files!
Do these mount to the Double Eagle AEGs, or some other kind?

cire
03-05-2019, 08:00 PM
Yes. Offer is still good. Let me know what you need. I can either send you (or anyone else) the stl files for the gun (or even print you one if needed).

The barrels/hoppers it fits are:
https://www.evike.com/products/35481/
https://www.evike.com/products/41032/

I had some spare drive electronics for it... but not sure if I have any left. I can at least send you the schematics & code.

Great! I can print it myself, I would just need the files, the more CAD files you have for a gun assembly the better... I have electronics for running a gun, but not for a pre-loader or a sensor to tell when a BB is in the gun itself - not sure if you guys do that still or not.

jpieper
03-22-2019, 08:20 PM
Any updates on if the registration process is good to go?

GhengisDhon
03-22-2019, 09:56 PM
Do want to confirm to everyone that we are 100% positively in the Bay Area Maker Faire for 2019.

Still trying to figure out/navigate the registration process. I think we are bit different than their normal event structure. We have an "event" and then "participants" need to register for the event. There's other Robogames remnants that are doing similar things so we'll get it figured out. It may be that I may collect the fees directly and pay Maker Faire all as one lump sum or they may provide a link for everyone to pay individually. (the other alternative is for everyone to register directly with Maker Faire - but that is a pain in the ass and I don't want to go that route.)

Our maker Faire event page can be found here:
https://makerfaire.com/maker/entry/69327/

We're working on a fb event page as well.
https://www.facebook.com/events/616843088780005/

I apologize for the registration delay... if all goes well this year and we want to continue at Maker Faire in the future the process should go smoother. (We're also talking about potentially trying to get into the NY Maker Faire for those on the East Coast at some point as well.)

cire
03-31-2019, 07:53 PM
Is it safe to assume all of the information on the 2018 transponder thread is still up to date? http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?20853-2018-Robogames-Mech-Target-Plates-Transponder

Are my transponders from 2012 still good? How does someone get a new one if they didn't have one?

GhengisDhon
03-31-2019, 11:00 PM
Is it safe to assume all of the information on the 2018 transponder thread is still up to date? http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?20853-2018-Robogames-Mech-Target-Plates-Transponder

Are my transponders from 2012 still good? How does someone get a new one if they didn't have one?

We will be using the same transponders and target plate system as last year in 2018 (which are a slight modification of 2017 system). Target plates and transponders from previous years will not be used.

The target plates and transponders will be supplied by RTeam at the event. Just follow the mounting instructions in the links above. It is helpful you supply your own cables if you want to route them cleanly through your mech.

GhengisDhon
03-31-2019, 11:18 PM
Here's status on the Maker Faire Registration Process. In a couple of weeks or so (mid-April) Maker Faire will send me private EventBrite Maker Entry Pass links that I will distribute to the teams. The cost will be $40 for the whole event or $15 for single day passed (plus EventBright fees)

I will need the teams to email me back with the Mech Team names and the individuals on each team. It's not like in past years at Robogames where the team size was limited to two (so there's no need to pad the number of mechs coming.) I would like to get an accurate count of the expected number of Mechs and team sizes so we can plan accordingly. It would also be good if everyone would let me know when they arrive and how long they will be there.

The schedule for RTeam will we will be arriving on Thursday and setting up the arena. On Friday we will do the qualifications and probably do exhibition matches (or maybe start the tourney if everyone is ready). We have a lot more freedom on how we run this than we did at Robogames. We may do the double elimination bracket, or we may do round robin brackets to try to get as many matches in as possible.

So send to the following email:
[email protected]

The Mech Team Name
Names of who is on the team
When the team arrives/departs the Maker Faire

So you all there:

GhengisDhon
04-16-2019, 10:52 PM
I received the links for registering at Maker Faire Mech Warfare this evening. I'll begin distributing them shortly. I have heard from some of you who said you were interested but not everyone. I do want everyone to respond with the above info so I can keep track of the number of participants and Mechs.

I do have some your contact info, so may contact you directly if I haven't heard from you.

byi
04-17-2019, 12:34 PM
I received the links for registering at Maker Faire Mech Warfare this evening. I'll begin distributing them shortly. I have heard from some of you who said you were interested but not everyone. I do want everyone to respond with the above info so I can keep track of the number of participants and Mechs.

I do have some your contact info, so may contact you directly if I haven't heard from you.

Sorry for the delay. We're having some nontechnical issues and likely cannot make it. Hoping to figure that out shortly.

byi
04-19-2019, 04:33 PM

It looks like we can't make it. Rather disappointing to all of us, but we plan to use the extra time before the next event to implement new features. Best of luck!

jwatte
04-20-2019, 12:05 AM
I just received the registration link by email (thanks, guys!) but I don't know when the last possible date is.

jwatte
04-24-2019, 06:40 PM
So that I'm all in sync: Where is the latest specification for physical mount of target panels?

jpieper
04-25-2019, 05:37 AM
To add another question... I'd be interested in broadcasting my laptop's screen over the 5.8Ghz video if you're going to have the public display again. Anyone know what a viable VGA->5.8Ghz (or Displayport) adapter would be?

byi
04-25-2019, 11:05 AM
To add another question... I'd be interested in broadcasting my laptop's screen over the 5.8Ghz video if you're going to have the public display again. Anyone know what a viable VGA->5.8Ghz (or Displayport) adapter would be?
If I understand correctly, most transmitters take a composite video signal, so a normal VGA -> RCA adapter would work. I've also seen some transmitters that take HDMI input. I've been looking into it for a rather unconventional control scheme we're currently working on.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

jwatte
04-25-2019, 12:27 PM
To answer my own question: this thread specifies the panels: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?20853-2018-Robogames-Mech-Target-Plates-Transponder

Note the 4-pin molex connector harness requirement!

jpieper
04-28-2019, 09:16 PM
GhengisDon: Do you plan on having a video display again? Any hint on what transmitter(s) R-Team is using so that I can get a compatible one to display my view?

GhengisDhon
04-28-2019, 11:02 PM
GhengisDon: Do you plan on having a video display again? Any hint on what transmitter(s) R-Team is using so that I can get a compatible one to display my view?

When you say video display... I'm assuming you mean for the Mechs (we also have videos in the arena now). We're using a variety of cameras/displays. There's really a lot more variety and better quality than just a few years ago.

You will want 5.8Ghz with multi channels; 32 or 48. I'm still using a TS5823 200mW Transmitter on my Mech that I bought several years ago with a Lumineer camera. A lot of people are now using integrated cameras/transmitters as well which seem to work well. Which ever camera you do use, you will want to shield it with plexi-glass or bring spares.

For receivers, most of us are now using integrated displays/receivers. There's a big choice now on ebay/amazon. The model I use is no longer made. Make sure you get one with "Diversity". It makes a big difference in video quality. I've also recently just purchased an "Eachine ROTG02" that plugs into a laptop or android device. Seems to work well but haven't had much time on it yet.

We'll also loan out our displays to people if they are having video issues as long as we're not fighting.

What we did last year, which was really cool, is we had monitors on a stand in front of the arena and would tune in to each competitors video so the audience could see the Mechs view as well.

jwatte
04-29-2019, 01:16 AM
I agree on Diversity. When I tried before that, I just got garbage, add a diversity receiver and it's smooth as butter. This was for .. 2017? Can't have gotten worse since then. However, HobbyKing seems to have stopped selling their transmitters in the US, so if you need to wait for eBay shipping, time may be running out ...

jpieper
04-29-2019, 05:40 AM
Thanks! Yep, I'm planning on using a similar semi-custom 5.8Ghz video-over-IP as I used last time, but wanted to be able to transmit to the monitors standing in front of the arenas from my laptop. "fpv transmitter" was the search term that let me find the right stuff. It will also help make sure I can pick 5.8 channels that aren't co-located with the video transmitters for my telemetry.