PDA

View Full Version : Project showcase. A

Semicton
08-21-2008, 07:25 PM
OK, so I don't exactly fit the envelope when it comes to professional robot-hardware building lol. Sometimes, I am overwhelmed by the amazing projects here on Trossen. Many times, I feel a bit substandard to everyone and yet, I am extremely proud to show one of my projects that has been sitting inside its box for 6 months and put together in a few hours while reading the great instructional book that comes from parallax.

http://www.husko.net/downloads/photos/boebot.jpg

A Bread - What? Board !?!
As a C# Phidgets guy, this is was my first experience with a bread board. I only heard about such a thing when I talked to a friend at work a few months ago before I bought this little critter. This seemed to be almost pure engineering genius when I first started reading about it and hooking stuff up to it.

A built in potentiometer in the servos? That was new to me too! I wish all my phidgets servos came the same way. Very cool.

A basic stamp microchip with a free editor. Limited for sure but I've read a little about the propeller chip and I wonder if it can work with the socket I have for this board.

I bought this thing before the release of the boe-bot kit for Microsoft Robotics Studio and I'm really geeked about the blue tooth add-on that I can use with MRS.

I purchased crawler kit and the tank tread kit to keep me interested on the cheap as I learn more about building robots.

This is my hobby project I will be working on for the next month. Before I get back to my Phidgets.

Cheers!

Adrenalynn
08-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Cool!

I'm breadboarding a project for the tutorials section right now, pretty simple, plan to have it all photographed this evening.

The Parallax Propeller P8X32A-D40 (http://www.parallax.com/tabid/142/List/1/ProductID/332/Default.aspx) doesn't need a socket or anything - just plug it into your breadboard spanning the center and go.

Semicton
08-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Excellent! Looking forward to this tutorial. Thanks Adrenalynn.

Adrenalynn
08-22-2008, 12:52 AM
Alas, not gonna happen with this hardware. Turns out the serial senders that sparkfun sells aren't so hot. Wish I'd searched the forum before buying them. Going to have to go to mine, maybe, but they're not available in quantity. Zigbee, maybe. . . Sigh.

4mem8
08-22-2008, 04:31 AM
Husko: The fact you have posted here is cool, So do not feel that you do not fit the professional robot hardware building scene, We all have to start somewhere, and your project is cool. Keep up the good work Husko.

Hephaistos
08-22-2008, 10:46 AM
OK, so I don't exactly fit the envelope when it comes to professional robot-hardware building lol. Sometimes, I am overwhelmed by the amazing projects here on Trossen. Many times, I feel a bit substandard to everyone and yet, I am extremely proud to show one of my projects that has been sitting inside its box for 6 months and put together in a few hours while reading the great instructional book that comes from parallax.

You should never feel substandard, we all had to get our start somewhere! What's really cool is that you are excited and motivated with what you are doing. I think that is awesome. Nice work on your project. Keep up the great work Husko!

sam
08-24-2008, 06:46 PM
At least programing is less of a mystery to you. I am still pretty lost in terms of programing. How can you program transistors? :confused: I might learn a couple of things later on.

I was completly new to both (all three actualy) aspects of programing, electronics and lectricity and building. Keep us updated on what you are doing with your nice little robot. It's always inspiring to see what others do.

Semicton
09-01-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the support :)

I purchased a sonar ping sensor from the local Radio Shack today on a whim. I actually went there to purchase a multimeter but was surprised to see they were selling boe-bot stuff so i picked it up. Right now, the ping sensor is mounted directly into the bread board but I have a servo and mount kit shipping to me in a few days.

lLOL here is a silly little video I made. I just purchased my first video camera couple days ago too so don't expect much. The Flip camera made the music and cut around the edges a bit. I'll post some more videos when I get my servo mount kit. Oh and I also have a wrist rotate kit for my SES on the way shipping. I'll post some videos of that when I get it put together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESjPMMVnv4Q