PDA

View Full Version : Tracked base design.

jdolecki
08-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Here is my latest Drawing for a tracked base. It uses 2 Banebots gearmotors.

DEM is Latin for "Deus Ex Machina" Which means "God from the Machine"

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=571&stc=1&d=1219714628

sthmck
08-25-2008, 10:17 PM
I was designing something along these lines a while ago. Yours looks great. Do your triangles rotate too? I mean I dont know if you have ever seen that movie with the landmaster or something like that. I think it was damnation alley. Im not sure though. Anyway in that movie the vehicle had four sets of wheels. Each set had three wheels setup in the triangle configuration that you have. When the wheels would hit an obstacle that was to tall they would flip over the object and keep on going.

Matt
08-26-2008, 02:02 AM
What material are you thinking about for the tracks?

sthmck
08-26-2008, 07:38 AM
It reminds me of one of those belts that is used to drive superchargers. I wonder how much it would cost to get a few of those, they would probably make pretty good tracks.

sam
08-26-2008, 07:47 AM
Here is my latest Drawing for a tracked base. It uses 2 Banebots gearmotors.

DEM is Latin for "Deus Ex Machina" Which means "God from the Machine"

Pretty cool your design! Can I ask you where you got the idea for Deux Ex Machina?:veryhappy:

ooops
08-26-2008, 08:11 AM
Very cool look! Do plan on "whipping these out" your self? Or haveing them machined?

Adrenalynn
08-26-2008, 11:28 AM
It reminds me of one of those belts that is used to drive superchargers. I wonder how much it would cost to get a few of those, they would probably make pretty good tracks.

Yeah, they tend to be pretty pricey.

I'm using vacuum cleaner belts in our next SciOly build. I've been testing them recently. They need a little belt softener (solvent) but they work GREAT. I use the notched belts with the mating pulley wheels.

Electricity
08-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Wow, pretty nifty design. What do you plan on putting up top?

4mem8
08-26-2008, 02:53 PM
The tracks are similar to my Mattracks on Wall-E, except for the internal gearing on each wheel.

jdolecki
08-26-2008, 08:51 PM
These will be a part Of my "Home Defense Network". As I prepare to move "Off the Grid" I will need to protect myself and Property from those who wish to do me harm. In the beginning they will be just for recon as they patrol my property but I hope to soon have then armored and weopnized in the near future. As you can see the top is pretty wide open for any type of payload package.

sthmck
08-26-2008, 09:19 PM
Wow you must have some lame neighbors.

Adrenalynn
08-26-2008, 09:21 PM
And not live in the US - 'cause even joking about such will get you a visit from the folks over at the BATF...

sthmck
08-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Well that actually depends on where you live believe it or not. Cuz where I come from people can get shot for stepping on your land. Ok not really where I live but there are some super redneck people in the southern part of WV that do that kind of stuff.

Adrenalynn
08-26-2008, 09:56 PM
You shooting someone is one thing. Building an automaton to do the shootin' is pretty much a different story...

sam
08-26-2008, 10:01 PM
Something goes wrong in the programing and the robot wanders off and shoots evrything that moves. That could be very bad.

sthmck
08-26-2008, 10:37 PM
Yeah, but then again if a robotics welder went crazy and killed someone it would be an "industrial accident". Sure the company that makes them would still get sued, but it isn't murder. I know that sentry bots with guns is a little on the extreme side, but how do we determine when an accident becomes something more than that? I wont be putting guns on any robots, but what that does not mean that a robot could kill some one. I always hated Asimov's three laws (I dont dislike his books though), because they are so unrealistic as far as real robots go. The majority of the robots being made now dont even know what a human is let alone how to not kill one. Do the builders get tried for the crimes of their creation?

Adrenalynn
08-27-2008, 01:06 AM
Absolutely.

I'm not a lawyer, and so I can only offer my lay opinion of course.

Gross Negligence or Criminal Negligence is the big question... Also laws against "booby trapping" which immediately come to mind.

metaform3d
08-27-2008, 02:26 AM
First Quantum and his army of hexapods, now jdolecki and his heat-packing sentry bots -- I think we have some serious contenders for official mad scientists here...

JonHylands
08-27-2008, 07:54 AM
Regardless of what your intended use is, unless you plan on spending thousands of hours developing a robust track system, you'd be better of either (a) building a more standardized tracked base, or (b) buying a commercial one. A decent commercial one for working outside in any weather over rough terrain is going to cost, big time (ballpark $5-10K).

jes1510
08-27-2008, 08:50 AM
The only thought I have is that if it is going to work outside then the gear train will get fouled with junk pretty quickly.

Electricity
08-27-2008, 01:05 PM
Is it for zombie defense? Because then you have to get some extra facial recognition software running to make sure you hit them in the head. And then ofcourse you'll need 'partial facial recognition' for the ones with half a face.

droidcommander
08-27-2008, 01:21 PM
I for one welcome our Robotic Sentry Overlords!

DroidCommander

Xan
08-28-2008, 02:16 AM
Is it for zombie defense? Because then you have to get some extra facial recognition software running to make sure you hit them in the head. And then ofcourse you'll need 'partial facial recognition' for the ones with half a face.
:veryhappy::veryhappy: