PDA

View Full Version : So I filed for unemployment..

Electricity
08-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Thats right, as of this Sunday, I will no longer have a job. As some of you may remember, six months ago I helped to found Desiderata Action Sports, a small airsoft and paintball store in Lutherville, MD. We went from being 50/50 airsoft and paintball to about 95% airsoft.
After returning from vacation last thursday, I was told that last sunday would be my last day. Basically, I was laid off. I sat down with my boss and told him how crappy I thought it was that he would dump me, with three days notice, immediately after I just spent all this money on a vacation, especially when he would certainly expect two weeks notice from me. He agreed to keep me on for an additional week, which is this week.
Unfortunately I have not yet been able to find a job. believe it or not, finding a job that pays ok money and thats hiring immediately is some what hard to find when you don't really have any skills you can put on paper..
So.. I filed for unemployment, I can not afford to go even a week without a paycheck. The bills would start piling up, and rent is due.
This really sucks.
Anyone hiring in the Baltimore County area?

ScuD
08-28-2008, 11:55 AM
Man that sucks E'... aren't there any clauses in your contract stating the length of the term that's needed before laying you off?

Back here they need to pay us at least 3 months after we got sacked.

Hope you find another job soon man:sad:

Adrenalynn
08-28-2008, 12:05 PM
[Comfort], E'!

I'm on the job prowl myself. It's ugly out there. Keep your chin up, something will come along soon!

ScuD
08-28-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm prowling for a new job as well...

Something 'll turn up before you know it, E'.

meanwhile, play around with your 'bot some :wink:

sam
08-29-2008, 10:40 AM
That sucks E'. I'm sure you'll find something.

How is your store going? Can it support you for a while?

Adrenalynn
08-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Considering that's where he got laid off from, I'd guess "no". ;)

scar3cr0w
08-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Your boss sucks! .... canning you after a vaca....ugh
I got layed off this spring as well (thanks G.W.)..I hope the unemployment money can keep you above water untill you find something good!

srobot
08-29-2008, 03:47 PM
I heard that McDonald's pays $9 an hour. Plus a free meal...

Other then that, I can think of anything... :(

A-Bot
08-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Sorry to hear that. I guess I won't be buying my airsoft gear there after all.

sam
08-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Considering that's where he got laid off from, I'd guess "no". ;)

Oh, oops I thought that E' had this store was a side thing and he had another job.

Adrenalynn
08-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Naw, "Ooops" is in a different state, even. :D

"Who's on first, What's on second"... ;)