PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] whats a good linux system for robots

robot maker
08-30-2008, 06:00 PM
i have copies of just about every linux operating system and i wanted to know what everyone thinks is the best system and why
i iuse mostly windows xp pro stripped down in my robot designs ,but would like to add linux latter on to it
also what is a good book to learn linux systems

lnxfergy
08-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Depends on your needs. There are many linux distributions out there, some are easy to install, many are not so easy. Once you get them installed, the primary differences between systems are how easy it is to install new packages, how many packages the system has, and how good the documentation and forums are.

As far as easy to learn and well supported, Ubuntu probably takes that cake right now - it's a fairly straight forward installation on most common hardware, and has a very large user base (thus more people on the forums... your main source of support with *nix systems). Even Ubuntu has several versions though - I tend to use Xubunutu which is similar, but replaces the GNOME desktop manager with XFCE, thus lightening the system load and making everything run faster.

I believe that LinuxGuy has spoken highly of Gentoo linux, but as I recall, that requires more knowledge for install, etc...

There are also many mini distributions out there (such as Damn Small Linux, or the miniBSD), which are tailored for systems with small flash drives and minimal hardware.

Just about every *nix system out there will support any programming language you like: C/C++, Java, Python, etc... It's a matter of finding a system you like.

-Fergs

robot maker
08-30-2008, 06:39 PM
i have both,i did hear that gentoo is really good for robotics
thanks for your help

Depends on your needs. There are many linux distributions out there, some are easy to install, many are not so easy. Once you get them installed, the primary differences between systems are how easy it is to install new packages, how many packages the system has, and how good the documentation and forums are.

As far as easy to learn and well supported, Ubuntu probably takes that cake right now - it's a fairly straight forward installation on most common hardware, and has a very large user base (thus more people on the forums... your main source of support with *nix systems). Even Ubuntu has several versions though - I tend to use Xubunutu which is similar, but replaces the GNOME desktop manager with XFCE, thus lightening the system load and making everything run faster.

I believe that LinuxGuy has spoken highly of Gentoo linux, but as I recall, that requires more knowledge for install, etc...

There are also many mini distributions out there (such as Damn Small Linux, or the miniBSD), which are tailored for systems with small flash drives and minimal hardware.

Just about every *nix system out there will support any programming language you like: C/C++, Java, Python, etc... It's a matter of finding a system you like.

-Fergs

jes1510
08-30-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm an Ubuntu fan but I pretty much like anything based on Debian. It really depends on what you need. If it's a small installation on a flash drive then Puppy or Damn Small Linux may be the best choice. If it's a full installation then Ubuntu will probably be great for you. In all fairness I have never played with Gentoo but I have heard good things about it if you know your way around a *nix machine.