PDA

View Full Version : Containers?

Adrenalynn
09-03-2008, 04:09 PM
This only SOUNDS OT. And I don't want to explain it... ;)

Anyone out there think of a couple common containers, available anywhere geographically, that have the approximate measurements 10cm x 10cm x 8cm and 10cm x 10cm x 12cm ? They'll be rectangular in shape, not round.

TIA!

[examples of what I'm talking about would be Rubbermaid, Tupperware, Gladware, or maybe some plastic box that some food or condiment product comes in or ... ?]

jes1510
09-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Your examples are probably the best bet. Perhaps walking through the local Walmart will give you a better idea.

Adrenalynn
09-03-2008, 06:40 PM
I was looking for something a bit more specific. I haven't found any fitting those parameters yet...

Thanks anyway though!

4mem8
09-03-2008, 07:12 PM
I will have a look for you this weekend.

Eric
09-03-2008, 08:53 PM
2 bad ideas...
1. make it out of heavy card-stock http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir3/dm_box/
or
2. I don't know where... but that's about the size of coffee mug boxes. Post office and/or ups store may have that size (obvious answer I know, but but never hurts to bring it up)
Beyond that, I can't see anything arround my house... tough question!

jes1510
09-03-2008, 10:12 PM
I believe walmart carries foam core board as well. You can pick up a pretty large sheet for pretty cheap and you can cut it with a razor knife.

Adrenalynn
09-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks, all!

Sorry - I should have been more clear. If I were looking to make 'em, I'd make 'em from Plexi. :)

Eric - some notions to check out!

There's a certain national science competition that is spec'ing those sizes this year for their goals. "With lables removed" which leads me to believe that, like last year, the goals will be a "common" grocery-store or similar item. They tend to tell their judges/organizers "pssst! Go buy ____ and use it for your goals". I'm trying to figure out what those common items will be so we can exactly match their goals in testing/practicing with our robot. :)

Next time I'm at the grocery store, I'll bring my tape measure - believe you me, it's not the first time the night manager at the grocery store has seen me wander in and measure their packaged goods for hours on end. :)

In the meantime, with those new notes: some common and inexpensive prebuilt plastic item - please keep your thinking caps on! :D