PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try Google Chrome yet?

spiffwilkie
09-04-2008, 07:47 PM
I just downloaded this browser and like it so far. There are a couple things I'd change (The default pop-up handling for one) but I do like how clean it looks. My screen seems a lot bigger without all the big toolbars and menus. I'm not sure I can wean myself from Firefox though. Google will need to have a lot of add-ins and extras to get my attention. Firefox's third-party support is what I really like.

Rudolph
09-04-2008, 10:37 PM
I had to boot into Windows for a bit yesterday, so I gave Chrome a shot for a couple hours. Overall it seems okay. One major problem for me was the overall appearance of it; I thought XP looked too PlaySkool, but at least I could change XP.

Personally I didn't miss AdBlock much, because I've got the hosts/hosts.txt thing downloaded/installed/copied/whatever to redirect many ad hosts to localhost. All I get is a wad of "server not found" errors.

I also really don't care for it's "phone home" practices. I'm happy to have google-analytics blocked on my computers. Google doesn't need to know any more about me than it already does from my gmail account.

I quickly noticed the parallel processes; I loaded a bunch of tabs that usually make Firefox painful, and it did really well. The JavaScript execution was beautiful as well. I didn't do proper benchmarking (cause I don't really care), but seat-of-the-pants tells me that gmail loaded at least 4 times faster in Chrome than FF (< 1 second, as opposed to ~3.5 seconds). I was also pretty happy that the Flash plugin worked (yes, flash is generally okay by me) but I do miss my FlashBlock plugin :)

I'd say that once it's polished a bit and more preferences/options are available it might be usable for me. Well, that and after the Linux port anyway.

Matt
09-04-2008, 11:44 PM
>>>I'm happy to have google-analytics blocked on my computers. Google doesn't need to know any more about me than it already does from my gmail account.

LOL, great line. Thanks for the chuckle.