PDA

View Full Version : trying to dabble in code

pladoh
09-13-2008, 12:13 AM
Okay since forever i thought the only way to controll robots is to program them through complicated code, but i was introduced to an eisier way via rc. But now that I'm in the water I'm going to start swimming in the deep end. what is code, contollers, boards, usb and other stuff? is there a program i should install, book to read and hardware to purchase? everyone started somewhere... what should i do?

Adrenalynn
09-13-2008, 12:22 AM
Learn what code, controllers, boards, usb, and "other stuff" is. :)

It would take me a week to explain all of that when a few simple google searches would suffice instead...

pladoh
09-13-2008, 12:32 AM
what would i search? Im sorry when posting on this thread assume i know nothing, :]

DresnerRobotics
09-13-2008, 12:32 AM
Electricity started a Beginners to Robotics tutorial here: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=2143

Covers some of the basic concepts, but really the best way to answer broad questions is to start Googling away. Wikipedia is a great resource for understanding basic concepts of code, microcontrollers, etc. I'd suggest you start researching a bit and come back with specific questions, as those are much easier for us to answer.

The Basic Atom and Basic Stamp microcontrollers use a form of Basic that is very easy to learn, you might want to start there.

jes1510
09-13-2008, 12:56 AM
There is a really great book called "Making Things Talk" that covers a lot about microcontroller programming. It is kind of Arduino-centric but the concepts transfer to other things fairly easily. It doesn't really cover robots but it does give a pretty good overview of how to program the board to do stuff. If you see one in a bookstore pick it up and leaf through it.

Adrenalynn
09-13-2008, 01:30 AM
We need to go a large step back from all that.

USB: Universal Serial Bus. It's the plug on your computer that modern mouse and keyboards plug into.
Serial Port: USB is a type of serial port. Serial communication means one bit at a time goes down the wire.
Microcontroller: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcontroller
"Code": Any sequence of statements given to a computer written in some human-readable programming language. See Also: Computer Programming.

pladoh
09-13-2008, 05:01 PM
k thanks guys i appreciate the help!