PDA

View Full Version : Mech Warriors of Yesterday Japan 2000

majortom1001
09-14-2008, 03:56 AM
Salute

Thought you all might like a look into the recent past, Japan as in all things robotic, has produced a Mech Warrior Robot. Reasons unknown it seem's like it never took off, maybe no organized events. Well whatever I've had mine for some time now and have been scouring the net to find another one. Would have loved to battle them, anyway when I found this site with the Mech War contest I was hooked. This last week I received my BOILOID and plan to use this as my base for entry. Looking forward to the challenge of taking a design and building the whole thing myself.

Dream Force 1 built by Takara 2000
This guy is fast, twists and bends at waist, has one gripper hand that rotates and closes, other hand for options (Airsoft Gun) take a look anyone know a current model? Other options are a Gripper, Rocket Launcher, and assorted close in weapons, One Bad Boy. Has 4 target area's, springloaded shields that fly off when hit, targets keep count of hits and relays back to controller after 5 hits robot powers down and has to be reset from controller. Remote control only, no onboard CPU, no onboard sensors except hit switches. Remote Controller display's hit zone and number of hits also a battle reset switch. Would have liked to take this guy up against another one but am looking foward to raise some heck with the one I plan to build.

See you all at Mech Wars.

4mem8
09-14-2008, 04:59 AM
Very nice majortom101,not bad for it'syear.

DresnerRobotics
09-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Can't be that old... I see an I-sobot in the background. Wonder what happened with this.

Vsions
09-14-2008, 11:53 AM
I bought one of these in 2001. It was pretty cool for its time. I just dont think it the hobby robot community was developed for it at the time as it was about $500. It was also only available as an import ans all the material for it were in japanese. It also was very weak in every aspect and did not actually walk. It had wheels under the feet. It looked like it walked but it never actually lifted its feet of the ground. I borke mine trying to upgrade its bb cannon. I shorted the entire thing out somehow and it never even turned on again.

4mem8
09-14-2008, 01:29 PM
That's quite sad visions, Considering you paid $500 for it, as this was a lot of $'s back then. Any chance of modding it, or not. Maybe to much involved for that.

majortom1001
09-14-2008, 01:45 PM
The yellow one in the pictures is mine, also the I-sobot. I took the pictures for the forum as a example for the target concept. Yea it's not a true walker, as it takes a step forward the wheel motor housing extends out from the bottom of the foot, drives foward and retracts setting the foot flat again. All in all a great Bot for it's time and fun to, mine still runs great today and I can only hope my Bioloid last as many years.

Vsions
09-14-2008, 03:14 PM
That's quite sad visions, Considering you paid $500 for it, as this was a lot of $'s back then. Any chance of modding it, or not. Maybe to much involved for that.

Yea I was pretty upset I killed it. Unfortunately I did not have any electronics know how to really figure out what was wrong, and the board inside of it was far too complicated for me to mess around with. Live and learn I guess...

sthmck
09-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Now that i think about it my brother had one of these things. We tore it up within two weeks. We wanted to see how it worked. I'm not sure what happened to it.