PDA

View Full Version : Robonova or Robobuilder

xx2747
09-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Hi,
I'm deciding to get a humanoid robot. I have researched these robots on the web and will try to test drive a robonova on Robotservicesgroup.com, but still need some advice from the owners/experts. (I'm a beginner to humanoid robotics)

Thank You

darkback2
09-19-2008, 07:25 PM
OK...this is a bit of a shot in the dark...but here goes. You say you are new to robotics...how new? do you know absolutely nothing? or do you have some model building experience? The thing is that no matter which way you go pretty much everything is going to have its drawbacks. For example, are you set on a humanoid, and only a humanoid? If so then perhaps a robonova or KHR or basically any dedicated humanoid is the way to go. If you think you may want something more modular that you can change around later, then perhaps you should go with a robobuilder or bioloid kit. Really though I guess you should ask yourself what you plan on doing with the robot, then ask around to find out which robots can actually do what you want them to do.

Alright...good luck, and welcome.

DB

xx2747
09-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks,
I am completely new to humanoid robotics and am planning on just humanoid types. But as far as I am concerned, Robobuilder's Huno model is very quick and has a higher torque than the robonova.It's much cheaper and has smart actuators instead of robonova's rc-type servos. They both have a catch & play function, so I can start with basic programming. Robobuilder also has an object detection sensor, which robonova doesn't have.
Oh, and DB, I also live in Washington.(Edmonds):happy:

darkback2
09-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Super cool to have a neighbor. We should get together some time especially given that you are what a half hour away ignoring the ferry. I guess think of this as the beginning, and not the end, and no matter what you get, be sure you can get where you want to end up from where you are starting...

Don't worry, I am seriously considering the robobuilder kit myself because it is so capable...There are a number of threads on this site about it.

DB

DB

DresnerRobotics
09-19-2008, 11:30 PM
I can say as a big fan and owner of the Bioloid, I would recommend the Robobuilder to someone just starting out without hesitation.

engineer
10-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Cool tyberios, talk up the robo builder, RN-!'s been looking for more bots to beat on. welcome to the forum and hang in there we all started somewhere. robonova has gotten more sensors as the time has gone by and you can always try your own.What you can't ge
t here lem is in japan, hitec germany ships here ,there many ways to get a project done. hope to see you at the games
All Right who figured out when I got my tech from?

Adrenalynn
10-18-2008, 10:56 PM
["Vacuum Tube" is an automatic title, they go up in technology automagically as your post count increases.]

engineer
10-20-2008, 01:30 PM
hi adrenaline, thnx I thought it was becaus I haven't been online that much. I made the error of making a vista compatible computer dual boot with XP and have been farming bugs ever since. first my networking card, then media player the overclock profiles in Ntune etc etc etc and on ,,,,
still having fun and learning. I want to get back to updating RN-!, and sharing how to set the add ons up. Getting the gyros set right is tough. The article in robot is way off because the gyro command is actually a rate of change, the acelerometer is a state change ( as in: I've fallen dowm and am laying on my face or back 0 or 255,) this is different than the way I learned to use these sensor outputs in aircraft. But then we're using fewer inputs untill sonar, light, direction, and GPS get added.thank you. Engineer

xx2747
12-10-2008, 12:05 AM
I was recetly looking through the January ROBOT article and it described a hip joint set for Robonova (even had a price tag of about $80 too) and although I don't have the robot, I'm just curious: has anyone seen the actual set? It doesn't even mention it on the HiTec website.

Alex
12-10-2008, 09:17 AM
I didn't see the hip joint set in person, but talked to HiTec at iHobby about it and they showed me some up close pics. No surprise to me; it looks like HiTec did an excellent job with it;) I'm pretty stoked to see the hip joint set up close, but judging by past Robonova mod releases, it's difficult to say how soon it'll be released:(

xx2747
12-16-2008, 11:48 PM
Well,
I'm still deciding between biped kits and I came across the Kumotek-x robot with 17DoF. I like its quick speed and high torque. They're way better than Robonova's but has less capabilities. I don't think it has the pose-and-capture thing but still I think the software that the company states "user-friendly" will suffice. For now, the Robobuilder is out of the question, so its between these two kits. Maybe I could buy a used KT-X to fit my budget.