PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] 0/16/16 Pump Control

DevinCharles
09-28-2008, 12:49 AM
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post as a new member. First off, I'm an ME student, so control on the robotics side it totally new to me...sorry in advance. (Here's my intro: I'm an ME at RIT, 3rd year, I'm currently interning at Amphenol AIO in the Energy Division. We make connectors for anything energy related from sea-floor oil exploration to solar residential and commercial installations.) Anyways... I need to control somewhere between 16 and 24 12VDC pumps at low amperage (I'm guessing around 250mV although I haven't measured exactly yet) from a PC interface. I've been searching for a while and finally came across the 0/16/16. I think this is the perfect controller for my project, but I really want to make sure of this before I buy it. I want to control the pumps on/off for specific time intervals, hopefully at least as accurate as a second. Also, it says here: http://www.hvwtech.com/products_view.asp?ProductID=139

That: "...and 16 digital input/output that are triggered by 4 to 30 Volt signals..."

Does this mean if I use the USB interface I can use the inputs as outputs?

Thanks for you help
and sorry for the novel,

Devin

Adrenalynn
09-28-2008, 04:29 AM
Welcome to the TRC, Devin!

That's 250mA each @ 12vDC, correct? Or about 6A total? From the manual: "Maximum Continuous current sink is 2 Amps."

So it's not going to handle sinking that kind of current directly. Don't fret, though... Slapping something like an opto-isolator or other simple low-current relay system in front of it will resolve that.

Again - welcome!

DevinCharles
09-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Sorry, I should have added this in there, but they won't all be running at the same time. There might be a situation where I have two running at the same time, but most of the time it will be a single pump running, then stopping and switching on another pump.