PDA

View Full Version : Mech Noobs' Questions

srobot
09-30-2008, 09:38 PM
Hey guys : )

This is looking way too cool to stay away from. :cool:

I don't have the time to read through all of the treads to answer my questions, so I hope you can answer them for me.

1) How wide are the 'roads' in the city going to be?

2) Will there be a standard in bot mounted cameras? I'd hate to buy a $100 dollar camera, only to be told it's the wrong type.

3) If 2 is no, how are other people importing the video into VB (like Matt Bauer)? And what cameras are they using?

4) I will be using the Bioloid system. Is Zig100 fine? If not what should I use?

5) Which guns are easy to mount to the Bioloid (links would be great)?

6) I've seen some stuff about main screens at the event showing what the builders see, will I need to include this into my program?

I guess what I'm wondering is if other then building my robot to work, and following the rules on the Mech website, is there anything else I should know?

Thanks,
--srobot

Adrenalynn
09-30-2008, 09:45 PM
>> how are other people importing the video into VB (like Matt Bauer)?

DirectShow

>> I've seen some stuff about main screens at the event showing what the builders see, will I need to include this into my program?

Video Splitters are the plan right now, no code changes required.

DresnerRobotics
09-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Hey guys : )

This is looking way too cool to stay away from. :cool:

I don't have the time to read through all of the treads to answer my questions, so I hope you can answer them for me.

Glad to have you onboard Scotty, no prob.

1) How wide are the 'roads' in the city going to be?

At least 2 feet. Probably closer to 30 inches.

2) Will there be a standard in bot mounted cameras? I'd hate to buy a $100 dollar camera, only to be told it's the wrong type.

Eh, my hope is to find an affordable solution that everyone can use. There are no limitations on what you can use, I just hope to find a solid choice. We're looking at wifi cameras, I have found a couple but I'm trying to source the smallest, lightest, cheapest one I can find.

3) If 2 is no, how are other people importing the video into VB (like Matt Bauer)? And what cameras are they using?

Sort of up to you, as Adrenalynn said there is DirectShow. I'll probably integrate a browser into mine that feeds from my IP camera.

4) I will be using the Bioloid system. Is Zig100 fine? If not what should I use?

Zig100 should be fine. If its working for you you're ahead of me in that department (I havent had any luck with the Zig100 so far). I'm suggesting everyone look at a Zigbee/Xbee solution for control.

5) Which guns are easy to mount to the Bioloid (links would be great)?

Well, these arent necessarily easier to mount than anything else we've found, but they're lightweight and should do the trick for the competition.

I've ordered 6 of these: http://www.toyeast.com/v3/pdtdetail.asp?pdt_id=A09000166

There are a few different flavors in the VSTank section of that site. A few others found a source for just the gearbox/firing mechanism (you'd have to make your own barrel) in canada. Mato something was the site, maybe someone else can chime in.

6) I've seen some stuff about main screens at the event showing what the builders see, will I need to include this into my program?

We'll have A/V splitters that we should hopefully be able to split off. Not sure how it'll work with wifi cameras though, but we've got 9 months to figure that out.

I guess what I'm wondering is if other then building my robot to work, and following the rules on the Mech website, is there anything else I should know?

Thanks,
--srobot

Eh, that's pretty much it. Jon Hylands is gracious enough to be developing the wireless targeting units. They'll be xbee based, small and lightweight. We're using piezo electric sensors on lightweight target panels along with those. We're shooting for around $50 for the entire scoring unit, the target panels should be dirt cheap as well.

Adrenalynn
09-30-2008, 10:27 PM
>> We'll have A/V splitters that we should hopefully be able to split off. Not sure how it'll work with wifi cameras though, but we've got 9 months to figure that out.

Use VGA splitters, mux 'em down, then use VGA to NTSC output - or a screen with VGA input. Then people will see whatever the pilots are seeing. As I mentioned, you're welcome to my professional broadcasting equipment, then you can do PIP/POP/Splits/etc for 4-8 devices.

srobot
09-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Thanks!

What are you thinking the ip cameras will run as far as cost? Also what kind of quality are we talking with those?

For "melee", will this include punches and such?

From what I understand, the point is to either hit the targets with BBs or knock the other robot over, and is nondestructive?

DresnerRobotics
09-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks!

What are you thinking the ip cameras will run as far as cost? Also what kind of quality are we talking with those?

For "melee", will this include punches and such?

From what I understand, the point is to either hit the targets with BBs or knock the other robot over, and is nondestructive?

I'm not entirely sure on the final cost. We have a great camera we've found, 30fps @ 640x480 and great overall image quality (reviews I've seen are fantastic) but they retail for about $270 so we're looking to get them directly from the manufacturer. Biggest thing about them is they're small and light, probably 100 grams once the casing is removed. I might just bite the bullet and buy one at full retail to determine if they're going to work out for us.

Melee will be relatively limited I'm guessing. I'm restricting weapons to simple ones, such as axes/maces and hand to hand... honestly though if your going to try to charge my robot you'll be lit up like a christmas tree before you can reach me. Nothing like a target running right at you at 1mph :p Ranged weapons are the emphasis here, not meant to be destructive though. Unless of course you're participating in the hardcore class, then you can expect *some* damage. I dont think the airsoft class will have anything to worry about, these airsoft guns don't hurt.

Whats that Adrenalynn? You're volunteering to be my main person in charge of all things AV for the event? Great!

Adrenalynn
09-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Sorta OT, but just so you know I'm serious:

Here's a 4 channel video mixer/keyer/audio mixer:

Here's the 32 channel audio mixer, I have another 16 channel Mackie in the box below:

Broadcast-grade HD anyone [the operator pictured makes standard SAG dayrates]?

Maybe you need some mics and wireless audio? Sennheiser ENG wireless bodypacks, butt-plugs, Suure mics and my big shotgun.

I'm too lazy to dig out the roadie case right now, but it has 9x LCD 7" monitors, 3x Sony broadcast rackmount 4" monitors, 4x VGA->NTSC, a 16 channel Micro-Mackie, and Sennheiser receivers for audio. I have a larger case that has the Internet-side for webcasting, as well as the 8 channel video FX/mixer board.

All this goes in either roadie cases for the rackmount stuff, or armored transport cases for the other stuff.

I also have decks from DVCAM, DVCPro, all the way to 300+lb DigiBeta. A few miniDV cameras (NTSC), and wireless video senders (5.8Ghz, VideoComm Tech) for the DVCProHD cam and two of the miniDV...

DresnerRobotics
09-30-2008, 11:23 PM
You've officially volunteered yourself Adrenalynn. No way you're getting out of this one.

4mem8
10-01-2008, 02:01 AM
Nice collection Adrenalynn, Your definitely the person with that gear, I'd say Mech wars is lucky to have you aboard. Nice.

Adrenalynn
10-01-2008, 03:22 AM
Thanks, 4mem!

The production and broadcast stuff is actually pretty fun. I was really at the forefront of "webcasting" which was kinda neat.

I need to plug this stuff in and see if it still works. Except for the camera which sees a fair bit of use, most of the broadcast gear was last plugged-in when I webcast the Chicago iHobby Expo a few years ago.

Adrenalynn
10-01-2008, 03:34 AM
Actually, I lied. The last time was the SkiDazzle show...

Typical kinda webcast. Four live feeds, broadcast feed, feeds out to the show monitors and monitors at the booth. Interview area - you can see the mic in the foreground on a boom. DVCAM deck, dual commercial DVD. That's the little 16 channel Mackie in the middle right, and on the lower right is the titler for the video FX. Keyboard in the center is for the custom 1U webcast encoder we built, it's in the roadie case.

The guys in the picture were a partner and an employee of mine - I'm safely behind the camera taking the picture. :)

Sorry, Scotty, I'm done with the threadjack now.

gdubb2
10-01-2008, 11:10 AM
These are the guns from Canada.. 1st post in this thread

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1933

Gary

srobot
10-23-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm thinking about either doing Mech Wars, or Humanoid Kung-Fu this year for RoboGames. Very hard choice!

I had a thought about the arena for MWs, maybe both the red side and blue sides can have cutouts in the top with holes to the inside big enough for our wireless stuff to fit in?

The only fear I am having is that people's wireless camera/RC gear will not work through 1/8 - 1/4 inch plastic... Mounting the receiver(s) in the box, with a usb (or whatever) cord running to the computer (again, or whatever you are using) would solve this.

What do you guys think?

gdubb2
10-23-2008, 06:02 PM
I don't think it will be an issue. I wandered around my house using my PS2 wireless gamepad controlling my mech (ALA I-Bot converter) and was getting 40 feet through plaster/lathe walls. I doubt that the lexan would pose much of a problem for the other 2.4 GHz stuff.

Just my opinion though
Gary