PDA

View Full Version : [Contest Entry] Meet Charlie

darkback2
10-05-2008, 12:55 AM
This is charlie, a PC based Quad Mech Warrior/artist
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/4/9/9/charlie-29.jpg

I started working on her last sunday when I took a trip to the recycling center and picked up four pounds of aluminum at a dollar a pound.

I was originally planning on making a three legged mech for mechwars, but scrapped the idea when I realized there was no way I was going to be able to make a viable pc based tripod. My wife and I are currently building a mother in law for her mom to move into, and I spent a huge amount on a motorcycle and hexapod this summer. I priced SES brackets for the tripod and it was going to be a few hundred dollars. without servos.

I really enjoyed reading the article on making robot brackets by Matt Bauer in robot magazine. I do not have a CNC, but figured "it can't be that hard. So I made the trip to the recycling center on the island and started drawing pictures of what I hoped were flattened brackets using my cad software.

A sleepless week later I present you with Charlie. I had hoped to hold off posting pictures until I had some video to share, but I smoked my SSC-32 somehow ( think I shorted it against an aluminum panel.) So I'll have to wait until at least next friday.

I've been collecting servos for a while at a few dollars a piece from Ebay. They were about $2.50 a piece. So 12 would be $30 not including shipping. The head gripper neck and gun servos are all leftovers from vivian's arm. I sprung for a big ticket item...a USB RC interface. That was $39 bringing my total up to just under $75.

I hope to enter this robot in:
Mech wars
Art bots (painting)
Art bots Kinetic
The Shooting Gallarie

Here are the pics:

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/4/9/9/charlie-0.jpg
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/4/9/9/charlie-1.jpg
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/4/9/9/charlie-2.jpg
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/4/9/9/charlie-7.jpg
The leg design was "borrowed" from the crustcrawler hexapod HDATS. I made the brackets slightly shorter to fit the robot a bit better. I also rounded out the ends so that the shin rotates around the mounting point. That let me design the shins differently.
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/4/9/9/charlie-6.jpg
I cut the brackets out using a dremel a drill and a jig saw. I softened the edges using an angle grinder.
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/4/9/9/charlie-11.jpg
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/4/9/9/charlie-17.jpg
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/4/9/9/charlie-20.jpg
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/4/9/9/charlie-24.jpg
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/4/9/9/charlie-27.jpg
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/4/9/9/charlie-32.jpg
This face was inspired by IC Hexapod by Matt Denton.

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/4/9/9/charlie-33.jpg
I'm going to have to make a new computer mount at some point. The one here is from my hexapod. A part of me feels bad about taking lexi apart for this, but another part of me, the artist in me, just can't justify working with something that someone else designed, and anyone could buy off the shelf. I tried to justify working with a kit robot by saying that anything I might design would look about the same, but in reality that hasn't turned out to be true...at least I don't think so.

I am growing by leaps and bounds making this thing. I'm planning on writing a chapter in the book about the process. I'll try to post it soon.

Here is some video of charlie
YOUTUBE Charlie Live Fire Test

Added Rockets!
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/4/9/9/dsc_8622.jpg
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/4/9/9/dsc_8621.jpg

DB

DresnerRobotics
10-05-2008, 01:08 AM
Wow man, that thing is fricken awesome. And the fact that it's all hand built makes it that much better.

Can't wait to see it with an airsoft weapon mounted!

darkback2
10-05-2008, 01:14 AM
I did cheat a little bit. There are four SES brackets and a lynxmotion gripper.

Also, I'm torn because I have an Airsoft gun that I hacked for mechwars. $12 at walmart, but its really crappy looking and I don't want to "junkify" my junkbot...but I also don't think I can spring for a better looking gun and stay under $100.

DB

4mem8
10-05-2008, 01:19 AM
Hey DB, That is so cool man, Congrats on using cheap Alloy for the brackets. What type of servos did you get?. Great effort.

darkback2
10-05-2008, 01:34 AM
The servos are tower pro mg995s they don't use standard sized hornes so you have to modify SES brackets if your going to use them. Given that I made the brackets for this one myself I didn't have that problem. The servos are pretty strong, but not very accurate. I wouldn't used them on a humanoid or walker, which is one of the reasons I went with a quad. It also allowed me to use the crustcrawler levered leg design.

Oh...Thanks for the kind words everyone.

DB

4mem8
10-05-2008, 01:51 AM
Just wondered what type you purchased of E-bay, I had two of those tower 995's i also purchased of Trademe (http://www.trademe.co.nz/) NZ similar to e-bay, and they were crap servos, but as you say good enough for the purpose in hand.

revoltage
10-05-2008, 02:27 AM
Wow good looking robot. Great work DB, really impressive!!! :)

darkback2
10-05-2008, 02:32 AM
I read an article somewhere where a person used the electronics from more expensive servos to control Tower 995's. They ended up with a pretty good servo for not much money. As in yank the electronics from a plastic gear servo and put it in a 995. Not sure how that would work out, but seams like a good idea.

Also, this is a junkbot. If I had say 12 hitech 5990TG's laying around I may make the swap, but given the budget limits I'll just have to make do.:p

Db

DB

darkback2
10-05-2008, 02:35 AM
Wow good looking robot. Great work DB, really impressive!!! :)

Thanks revoltage. Can't wait to see picks of the lawnmower your making. You can see how I used just 4 inches of T slot aluminum in the 9th picture from the top. Also in the picture featuring the hexapod next to the quad. I attached the hump to it.

DB

wireframewolf
10-05-2008, 04:11 AM
I love this robot! It's a walker, it's made mostly from scratch, it's got a gripper, it looks good, and it's PC based! Kudos to you.

Just out of curiosity, what is that tiny computer mounted on the back of your robot, and what is it running?

4mem8
10-05-2008, 04:27 AM
Yeah, the gears are ok in those servos it's just the electronics, So if you can swap out the electronics you could end up with a pretty good servo, but hey, As you said it's a junk bot and whatever you use if it works it's great. Will have to see what i can dig up. to make one.

ScuD
10-05-2008, 05:14 AM
Man that is sweet looking!

It has this sort of turtle-meets-alien-species vibe flowing off of it that really makes me want to see it move!

Get the damn bot done! :D

Enusi Malik
10-05-2008, 08:06 AM
That's awesome man good stuff there.

DresnerRobotics
10-05-2008, 10:23 AM
DB you might check out the Open Servo project (http://www.openservo.com/), only thing is they're I2C controlled rather than PWM.

And you'd have to build em yourself in hopes of staying under budget.

As far as the guns, why not pick up a pair of airsoft gun boxes from Matotoys in Canada for $10?

darkback2
10-05-2008, 10:24 AM
I love this robot! It's a walker, it's made mostly from scratch, it's got a gripper, it looks good, and it's PC based! Kudos to you.

Just out of curiosity, what is that tiny computer mounted on the back of your robot, and what is it running?

The computer is a sony vaio vgn-180 UX. you can find them for about $700 on ebay. It weighs a little under 2 pounds and runs winxp at 1.2 gh.

I got it a few years ago for the purpose of making smaller PC based robots.

Also, I'll try to get a better PC mount done in the next few days. I have to make up for the past week with the whole ignoring the wife to build thing, and I can't get any video's done until next weekend at the earliest because I smoked my SSC-32 yesterday. I'm not sure if replacing broken parts that break during the build should count in the cost...if so then I'm over...but the part is really for my hexapod and I stole the original one out of there so...yeah...you get it.

Seriously thanks for the feed back. I want to add a bit more...thanks.

DB

Adrenalynn
10-05-2008, 11:07 AM
What happened to your SSC-32?

They're pretty repairable.

gdubb2
10-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Looking good.. I like it
Gary

darkback2
10-05-2008, 02:46 PM
What happened to your SSC-32?

They're pretty repairable.

I'll mail it to you...don't know. It just stopped. :(

Oh...and thanks Scud an Qdubb2. I'll try to get some head moving videos using a phidget 4. I actually thought about using 4 of them to control it when the SSC-32 stopped working. I have 6 from trying to get my hex working using only phidget 4s...but the setup required is really heavy.

DB

lnxfergy
10-05-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm not sure if replacing broken parts that break during the build should count in the cost..

For reference, the Trinity Fire Fighting competition has a Cost Effective award, similar to the contest you are running. Their rules are:
If you put in $50,000 in labor and destroyed $5,000 in parts finally getting it to work, but your final robot has less than $200 in actual parts in it, then it is a good contender for this prize.

It does not matter what you paid for the parts, but only what they are worth. A motor that originally cost $50, but is now for sale in a surplus catalog for $5 is now a $5 motor. However, if you got a $50 motor for free from a friend, then itís still a $50 motor even though you got it for free. On the other hand, if you destroyed three $50 motors in building the robot, you only have to account for the one motor that is actually on the robot.

Thought it might interest you.

-Fergs

darkback2
10-05-2008, 09:33 PM
For reference, the Trinity Fire Fighting competition has a Cost Effective award, similar to the contest you are running. Their rules are:
If you put in $50,000 in labor and destroyed $5,000 in parts finally getting it to work, but your final robot has less than $200 in actual parts in it, then it is a good contender for this prize.

It does...though for the junkbot challenge it isn't so much applicable. The idea is to make people be more creative with the things they already have, and challenge people to make the old into something new. I don't want to limit people based on what they already spent, more to show them what they already have. I spend a lot of time wishing...I wish I had an IC hexapod...I wish I thought of virtual walking cartoon thingies...I wish I had a robobuilder kit...I wish I was 4mem8, and had made a walle from scratch and won a bunch of awards and lived in New Zealand...I wish I had half of what I saw in Crabfu's shop...or the Trossen closet...and I wish I knew half of what adrennalyn does...or even how to spell adrenalynn with out looking it up. I could go on. But the junkbot challenge is about appreciating what you have. I just spent an hour watching TV with my new robot charlie. we are like buds now. I want to take her to work every day and sit her on my desk...Heck I'm taking her to work on thursday and friday and I'm going to talk about her all damn day. and I only had to spend about $75 to have her. Compare that to the $2000 I spent to make Vivian, or Big Mac...Or even the $700 I spent to get my crust crawler, she was a steal. my wife is getting jealous.

All I can say is...for now I'm happy.

DB

BMoscato
10-05-2008, 09:51 PM
It does...though for the junkbot challenge it isn't so much applicable. The idea is to make people be more creative with the things they already have, and challenge people to make the old into something new. I don't want to limit people based on what they already spent, more to show them what they already have. I spend a lot of time wishing...I wish I had an IC hexapod...I wish I thought of virtual walking cartoon thingies...I wish I had a robobuilder kit...I wish I was 4mem8, and had made a walle from scratch and won a bunch of awards and lived in New Zealand...I wish I had half of what I saw in Crabfu's shop...or the Trossen closet...and I wish I knew half of what adrennalyn does...or even how to spell adrenalynn with out looking it up. I could go on. But the junkbot challenge is about appreciating what you have. I just spent an hour watching TV with my new robot charlie. we are like buds now. I want to take her to work every day and sit her on my desk...Heck I'm taking her to work on thursday and friday and I'm going to talk about her all damn day. and I only had to spend about $75 to have her. Compare that to the $2000 I spent to make Vivian, or Big Mac...Or even the $700 I spent to get my crust crawler, she was a steal. my wife is getting jealous.

All I can say is...for now I'm happy.

DB

All I have to say is DAMN... I thought I was the only one that sat around and had a bunch of wishes. By the way, great project on Charlie.

metaform3d
10-05-2008, 10:10 PM
I'm impressed by the labor involved, DB. Easy enough to buy some brackets -- not so easy to design and build them yourself using hand tools. It really looks awesome. I build brackets regularly, but frankly yours are better.

That said, the definition of your contest may somewhat favor oldsters and packrats. If I happen to have a bunch of stuff that I can cobble together into a robot then I'm ahead of someone who has nothing, even if our ideas are just as good. I just spent the money ahead of time. On the other hand I have ordered more parts than I immediately needed from Trossen taking into account that I might want them for a "junk bot" in the future. So perhaprs Trossen should encourage/sponsor your contest.

Just saying.

darkback2
10-05-2008, 11:28 PM
I'm impressed by the labor involved, DB. Easy enough to buy some brackets -- not so easy to design and build them yourself using hand tools. It really looks awesome. I build brackets regularly, but frankly yours are better.

That said, the definition of your contest may somewhat favor oldsters and packrats. If I happen to have a bunch of stuff that I can cobble together into a robot then I'm ahead of someone who has nothing, even if our ideas are just as good. I just spent the money ahead of time. On the other hand I have ordered more parts than I immediately needed from Trossen taking into account that I might want them for a "junk bot" in the future. So perhaprs Trossen should encourage/sponsor your contest.

Just saying.

yeah...I know. It actually came up last time. Part of what I hope people take into account when judging the contest (its going to be another poll vote like last time) is the persons experience/where the parts come from. Newbs are forgiven for spending over the limit, especially when the parts they purchase will be used in other robots. Electricity who won last time spent a lot more than $20 on his parts. It was his first robot though so all was forgiven, and he got my vote. It was more about the creativity involved in making his robot. heck anyone who can make a walker using plastic forks deserves something.

And as for Trossen, when I ran the first contest past Matt he ponied up a robot prize. We didn't have enough people participate, but who knows what the future holds. heck...get cobbling!

Bah...enough.

DB

Adrenalynn
10-06-2008, 12:38 AM
What'd you use for machining the slots in the brackets?

darkback2
10-06-2008, 01:02 AM
What'd you use for machining the slots in the brackets?

That was sort of a hard part. I used a dremel and the jig saw. The dremel has a weird little circular saw blade. I would make a small cut with that and then finish it off with the jig saw. One problem though is that the aluminum gets hot and smears with the dremel. I probably should have used cutting grease...but I'm lazy, and that is wicked messy. The dremel blade gets "full" quickly so you have to grind it on some steal to clean it out. might be doing that wrong too. I tried using the small abrasion blades, but they wore out too quickly and smelled like cat piss. In any case its worked so far which is pretty much how I do things.

DB

Adrenalynn
10-06-2008, 02:16 AM
That's pretty cool. I use abrasive blades, and then the jig-saw. The two "tricks" are a steady hand [duh] and pressure, and using a precision extension so you can get in level and have finger-tip control.

I'm always looking for a better way. Lately I've been lazy and just drill a few holes and then get the sabersaw in there.

4mem8
10-07-2008, 01:00 PM
If it is of any help here I use a template [usually MDF medium density fiber board] place this over the alloy with hot melt glue and use a hand held router with a copy bearing and machine it out that way, Then bend to shape. good clean edges when finished. Works for me.

jes1510
10-07-2008, 02:22 PM
If it is of any help here I use a template [usually MDF medium density fiber board] place this over the alloy with hot melt glue and use a hand held router with a copy bearing and machine it out that way, Then bend to shape. good clean edges when finished. Works for me.

For cutting aluminum? What kind of bit do you use? That sounds like a really clever way to do it but I have never heard of cutting aluminum with a hand router.

darkback2
10-07-2008, 03:02 PM
that seams like a good idea because then you have a copyable prototype. I generally print the parts out on cardstock, cut them out with an exacto knife, and then trace them on the aluminum with a sharpie. I cut out the shapes using a jig saw and dremel, and then grind the edges to the line using an angle grinder...not the best at all. but it does the job. I make holes 1 size too big so that I have room for personal error, and wiggle room because my bends aren't always the best. This aluminum stock is relatively think. The thinner stuff bent too sloppily. I either use the brake/bender at work to bend the big lines, or a pare of sheet metal plyers for the smaller stuff. The router with copy bearing sounds like a good idea. If only I had a router...

darkback2
10-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Only thing is with a router how do you get small things? I would think that the finer the blade the smaller the thing your cuttcan be...but maybe thats not exactly right.

DB

Adrenalynn
10-07-2008, 03:23 PM
I've done 3/8" aluminum in three or four passes. Really no harder than like 5/4 oak. ;)

4mem8
10-08-2008, 12:04 AM
I will try to post some pics over the weekend with the type of tools to use. Basically my router is held in a vice and a 6mm tungsten carbide cutter is used. I then drill a hole in the alloy to be cut larger than the cutter bit to be inserted. I then place the jig and alloy that have been hot melted over the cutter and the ballrace rests against the template and you move slowly cutting the alloy.

darkback2
10-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Hey, Either Alex, Andrew, Adrenalynn or Matt...could you guys add this as a project submition for the over all project deally?

DB

DresnerRobotics
10-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Not after that K-9/Jimmy Neutron comment.

Alex
10-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Hey, Either Alex, Andrew, Adrenalynn or Matt...could you guys add this as a project submition for the over all project deally?

No problem DB, I just moved this thread to the project showcase section and changed the thread prefix to "Contest Entry"! I was planning on asking if you wanted me to do this, but just kept getting sidetracked.

Good luck!

darkback2
10-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Not after that K-9/Jimmy Neutron comment.

I said I was sorry. I even offered to lose rep power. really...we aren't friends anymore? Well...ok.:(

DB

DresnerRobotics
10-08-2008, 03:43 PM
I forgive you, only because you're buying me drinks on the TRC Night Out at Robogames 09 though :D

4mem8
10-08-2008, 10:38 PM
M,mmm Wish i was there to buy you guys some drinks for all the help you have given me, Oh well maybe one day.

darkback2
10-15-2008, 01:06 AM
Here are some videos showing charlie moving around.
Sitting, standing, walking around

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EICkTLqs14s
RC control...Software I got a device that takes in RC signals from a receiver and translates them into an HID device for the computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrWyvruRZ5I
Gun mount and camera. The gun could move around a lot more, but I want to keep it inline with the head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfhfygTP398

Getting better all the time!
DB

revoltage
10-15-2008, 01:37 AM
That a cool robot wow, I envy your robot Db. Nice video

4mem8
10-15-2008, 02:56 AM
Nice video's DB, Your Robot is coming on fine. Good job.

darkback2
11-09-2008, 11:46 PM
Ok...so its been a while. Last night Charlie and I got to perform at a local coffee shop. I used charlies IR sensors and cameras as instruments. Gepetto also made an appearance. All in all I had a really good time. Here is a link to the video. (http://rockhoppersdailygrind.blogspot.com/) I don't know how to imbed it in the post...

As for Charlie, I haven't made much more progress outside of:
1) Reprogramming the walk cycles separating the updown motion of the legs from the forward backward motions,
2) Made sub programs that allow the robots position and IR sensors to trigger different sound effects which I used in the concert.
3) Made other sub programs that allow me to control either the gate, or the lean functions of the robot using an RC controller.
4) Made a sub program that allows me to use a wiimote to control the robot.
5) rewrote the interface for the SSC-32 so that it behaves in a more linear fashion.

Well...you get it.

DB

darkback2
12-02-2008, 11:08 PM
So Charlie has sat...unbothered for some time now. I finally got back to messing with her to get things squared away. OK...

I originally was controlling charlie using a MFtech RC to USB interface and a regular RC transmitter. Problem there is all of my transmitters are 4 channel, and I need a fifth channel to trigger the gun...getting a new radio would probably disqualify charlie from the junkbot contest so I figured...

There was also the problem with charlie's USB kritter cam, and getting that information off of the robot in a manageable way. I finally settled on just using the controller controlling charlie as a host, and linking it to another computer. The problem there was that the remote desktop software that I tried was incredibly slow.

So I came up with another solution. I wrote software in MAX which sends the video data from the sony vaio to another computer. From the other computer I can send mouse and key commands which in turn control charlie.

Here is a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= You'll have to excuse the sniffling...I'm sick

I was going to shoot a second video of charlie walking around while I control her from another room, but the USB to serial converter freaked out and crashed max...bad...I have to reinstall.

More tomorrow.

jes1510
12-02-2008, 11:42 PM
Oh man I love it! Are you going to get the fine control you need to aim the gun?

darkback2
12-03-2008, 12:10 AM
I'll have to admit...these MG995 servos are really crappy...I don't really expect to win with Charlie...just have a good time. I'm trying to cut back on spending money, and make the whole robotics thing pay for itself. Given that it doesn't pay anything...I guess that means I don't have any money to spend on robots.

MAX/MSP is a really cool bit of software to program with...that said, the latest version just crashed and is totally kicking my butt. I will have to call tech support tomorrow because I can't get my program to start up again.

Thanks for the kind words though...maybe I'll get lucky at mechwars.

DB

darkback2
12-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Ok...So I decided to try driving charlie from the other room. Shot a video of the disasterous results. The camera is pretty low and far forward on Charlie's body, and that leads to not being able to see obstacles that charlie can't make it through. I'm thinking I'll do one of two things. I may A, move the IR sensors to the front of each of the forward legs, or possibly easier add a second camera in a better position. I'll have to see what works best. Here is a video of the attempt. I tried to make a lap around the stool. Seven minutes in a servo on the back leg heated up to the point where it caught fire melting the case. I'm not sure how to deal with this back leg, its been nothing but trouble. may just set it and forget it. As is its all a bit embarrassing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIPXOzfFRhY

darkback2
12-04-2008, 11:20 PM
So I made a few changes to Charlie...May give up soon on the whole junkbot bit and put some real servos on this bad girl, haven't really decided yet.

In anycase, I pulled out the SSC-32 and added another wire for connecting a 9 volt battery to the logic power supply as per the instruction manual and Adrenalynn's advice. Hopefully when servos are catching on fire this will keep the SSC-32 safe. I also changed the throw of the back hind leg so that the servo should get more mechanical support. Hopefully this will prevent a repeat of lastnights fiasco. My wife still won't let me close the window in my studio.

OK...

DB

darkback2
12-05-2008, 10:00 AM
I won't give up. I'l just be ready for what comes. SO I've decided I'll just use cooling grease inside of the servo cases. I'll try to cut the back off of them using a dremel, and glue/screw an aluminum plate to the back to help get some of the heat out. That should hopefully end the melt down business. So far its only one of the servos. I may swap it out for a real servo...maybe one off of lexi my hexipod to see if that makes a difference. Might just be throwing good money after bad. Option 2 is to just keep a ton of these crap servos around and get really good at replacing them between rounds. Seams like you either spend the money up front, or down the line...but you do spend it.

Then again, if I was burning out HS 5645s I really would be crying wouldn't I.

DB

jes1510
12-05-2008, 12:58 PM
After watching the video again it looks like you may get better performance if you slow the servos down.

darkback2
12-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Yeah...I just sped them up because it is so damn boring waiting for the robot to finish each step...bt your probably right...slow and boring it is.

I do want to wait to get the cooling grease into the cases though. I'm a little tired of the smell of burning servo.

LinuxGuy
12-05-2008, 02:59 PM
I read an article somewhere where a person used the electronics from more expensive servos to control Tower 995's. They ended up with a pretty good servo for not much money. As in yank the electronics from a plastic gear servo and put it in a 995. Not sure how that would work out, but seams like a good idea.
You can also convert these to Open Servos (http://www.openservo.org), which some are testing with now. This gives a lot more capabilities than most servos have, including PWM or I2C control and position sensing.

8-Dale

jes1510
12-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Perhaps ramping the speed up and down would help. Right now it looks like they are being yanked full sped to their positions and with all that mass it it throwing things around pretty violently. It does make for a great show though ;)

darkback2
12-05-2008, 03:49 PM
I'll give slowing things down a try. As for a conversion...those guys have much steadier hands than I do...

I don't know tough...looks like a cool way to get a lot more servo for the money.

DB

Adrenalynn
12-05-2008, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't think burning-servo is ever a good sign. Maybe the cheap servos use cheap lubricant? Maybe you'd be better served by disassembling them completely, stripping the cheap lube, and replacing it with good quality teflon suspended in white lithium?

darkback2
12-05-2008, 05:25 PM
I'm pretty sure it has to do with overloading them...but I could be wrong. Its only one servo...the back leg lift servo which also seams to be taking the most weight. This would be a lot easier if Charlie were a hexapod...I'm whining I know. I'll check into the lube about the same time I check into the cooling grease.

I cut the back off of the one servo case, and replaced it with aluminum. I'm hoping that will help get things cooled down. Outside of that I'll have to strip the whole bot down and put Charlie on a diet.

I know...I'm putting a lot of effort into being cheap. Again, I may just replace the lift servos with something real...

DB

No0bert
02-04-2009, 02:03 PM
I don't really expect to win with Charlie...just have a good time.

Pffft....

Congratz!

darkback2
04-15-2009, 11:09 PM
So Charlie grew a pair over the past few weeks...Charlie is definately no longer a junkbot. I added 11 hs 645 servos. I added 8 to the legs, 1 to the pan for the head, and 2 to the gripper. I also added platforms I'm hoping to mount mini rockets on before mech warfare at robogames 2009. I finally got the relay hooked up for the gun.

I'm glad I got a chance to play with charlie because it shows how badly I need to change the interface. It is just too clumsy.

On another note today I got to do a live fire test. I was trying to shoot some soda bottles. The interface is not the best, and will need a bit of work. I believe the interface on Squidword will work a lot better, and with minor adjustments I can modify it to work with charlie also.

Here is a new video.

YOUTUBE Charlie Live Fire Test

lnxfergy
04-16-2009, 12:01 AM
So Charlie grew a pair over the past few weeks...Charlie is definately no longer a junkbot. I added 11 hs 645 servos. I added 8 to the legs, 1 to the pan for the head, and 2 to the gripper.

Careful there, your bots are gonna become spoiled.. I mean look what happened to tyberius, he gave a bot a few AX-12s, and BAM they demanded RX-64s... so strong, they threatened to break his fingers if he didn't carry out that order....

-Fergs

darkback2
05-18-2009, 11:13 PM
I added the rocket mounts to charlie.

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/4/9/9/dsc_8622.jpg
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/4/9/9/dsc_8621.jpg

DB

Adrenalynn
05-19-2009, 01:45 AM
Wicked! And Shiny! Me_Likey!

darkback2
05-19-2009, 09:30 AM
I think it may be about time to upgrade the lift servos...

alaterlight
01-29-2012, 12:40 AM
I like it :p and will do it