PDA

View Full Version : [News/Announcement] Autodesk Student Community - Free Autodesk Software

srobot
10-07-2008, 01:33 PM
I'm a member on the Autodesk student community.

There is quite a bit of free software for download like AutoCAD Electrical 2009, Autodesk Inventor 2009, Autodesk Showcase, Autodesk SketchBook Pro. These are all Pro versions, although they give you a student key.

The software will be no different then with a normal key, other then all of the CAD parts you create will have a "water mark", that when opened, will tell you that they where created in a Student version. The key will last for 13 months (although a newer version should be out before then).

I get a normal keys from a friend (legally), although there is nothing wrong with the student keys.

The downloads for the programs are also fast, although because of the size it can take a few days to download.

You will need to be invited to join, so if anyone is interested I can send you one.

I can't find any rules about age, although (based on replies here) you need to be a registered student of a school.

Cheers,
--srobot

elios
10-07-2008, 03:30 PM
i have autodesk inventor 11 professional. i really like it, and have made numerous projects. I thought that the help manual was a bit insufficient and i couldn't find the necessary help.

Sienna
10-08-2008, 06:23 PM
You DO need to be a registered student to join. Unfortunately, or I would be using it.

I wish I could afford a license to Inventor, I really do...

srobot
10-08-2008, 09:02 PM
You DO need to be a registered student to join. Unfortunately, or I would be using it.

I wish I could afford a license to Inventor, I really do...

Can you show me where you see that?

Here is what I've found:

Invite Page:

Invite Your Friends

Invite Your Friends & You Could Win*!

Spead the word about the Autodesk Student Engineering & Design Community and you'll be entered for a chance to win an "Autodesk Build Something" t-shirt. Simply enter the email addresses of up to 10 of your friends to invite them to join the community. When at least five of your friends register for the community, you'll win a t-shirt! Invite as many friends as you like - you are eligible to win up to three t-shirts for your referrals.

Please note, we do not store and will not use the email addresses you submit to invite your friends -- this is just a way for you to tell them about the resources, design tools, and networking available on the community.

Terms and Conditions (http://students8.autodesk.com/?nd=invite_rules)

*This special offer is available to student community members in the US and Canada ONLY.

Adrenalynn
10-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Does this monster violation of Autodesk's copyrights need to be pasted here in its entirety, or can a link simply be provided instead?

Please edit your post and use links and remove AD's copyrighted page(s) from your post.

Thanks!

4mem8
10-08-2008, 11:15 PM
M'mmmmm, good point Adrenalynn.

DresnerRobotics
10-09-2008, 12:05 AM
I received an invite from a friend and was brought to a page asking for my student email address, so I'm pretty sure this is still for students only ;)

Eric
10-09-2008, 06:35 AM
Just a quick opinion of one who participated with Autodesk and their educational program. I got in touch with Autodesk's Ed. program back in 1992. They were generous enough to provide me with 3D Studio v1 and v2 when it came out (pre 3d Max), as well as AutoCAD. Their assistance helped launch a second career path both through college and professionally. With that help, I worked in both engineering and broadcast as careers, using my skills learned from their ed. program. If you are a student, (high school or college) I would highly recommend working with them and letting them know what you think. I wouldn't be overstating that meeting their educational representative at Siggraph '92 changed my life.
Just my 2 cents...

Sienna
10-09-2008, 06:47 AM
From the Autodesk Student Engineering and Design Community Terms and Conditions:

2. If you open an account on this website, you must complete the registration process by providing us with current, complete and accurate information as prompted by the applicable registration form, and meet all the requirements set forth in the registration process.
Emphasis mine.
http://students8.autodesk.com/?nd=terms_conditions

From the registration page:

Please note that you must enter a valid, school-issued email address to register:

Hence, if you do not have at least a minimum of a school issued email, (e.g., if you do not attend a school) you are not eligible.

And while you could probably register a .edu domain and hand out emails, it would defeat the purpose of the program. And too many people doing that will simply cause Autodesk to shut it down.

I would gladly pay 1/10th the price of the software for a not for profit, watermarked "Hobby" version. But, they don't seem to offer that unfortionately. (Pro/E Wildfire does, but after learning 3D CAD on Inventor LT, their UI is just primitive.)

srobot
10-09-2008, 07:32 AM
I'm registered with just a normal gmail account (may be because I joined via invite?).

All the same, I edited my first post.

ScuD
10-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Incidentally- does anyone know of a simple CAD / 3D development environment that has a simple physics engine? As I understand it, something like Inventor enables you to eg. put a few gears in a row, and turning one would make the others turn respectively.

I constantly have some mechanical linkages in my mind, but lacking the correct knowledge of both mechanics/math, I have a hard time figuring out the correct angles/distances etc.

I tried Sketchyphysics, but with the time it takes to get things working the way they should, I'd had milled the parts, polished them to a high-gloss state, and figured out the thing didn't work the way I want about 4 years before getting it simulated correctly in sketchup...

So, if anyone has a tip on some software (preferrably opensource or at least something with a free trial and not too steep package price) it'd be much appreciated.

srobot
10-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Yes, inventor works great for this -- Let me know if you want an invite.

Other programs, I think Linux has a few. Although I would guess that you are on Windows. Have you checked Softpedia?

ScuD
10-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Unfortunately, I'm no longer a student :)
Linux variants will do as well, I'm running a dual boot system.
I've been looking around a bit but haven't really found anything yet, probably just using the wrong words in google..

srobot
10-13-2008, 07:57 AM
Unfortunately, I'm no longer a student :)
Linux variants will do as well, I'm running a dual boot system.
I've been looking around a bit but haven't really found anything yet, probably just using the wrong words in google..

Ask in Ubuntu Forums.

They are a helpful site.

http://ubuntuforums.org/

bodhibuilder
10-15-2008, 02:51 PM
AutoCAD and Inventor look like excelent software to learn to use. they would also be pretty useful in robot design! can i get an invite to their free download? that would be great!

srobot
10-15-2008, 03:06 PM
AutoCAD and Inventor look like excelent software to learn to use. they would also be pretty useful in robot design! can i get an invite to their free download? that would be great!

Please PM me your email.

bodhibuilder
10-15-2008, 03:20 PM
PM sent.