PDA

View Full Version : Another guy we'll need to contact

ScuD
10-12-2008, 11:58 AM
I've seen this thing a few years ago, been wanting to build a biped ever since.

IMHO, the most awesome mech I've ever seen

Here (http://home.ctlnet.com/~mechadon/mechadon.htm)

jes1510
10-12-2008, 12:18 PM
I love his solution for the "knee" joint. It looks like it gets mechanically supported when at rest so the servo only works while it is lifting the leg. That's nice!

billyzelsnack
10-12-2008, 05:10 PM
S3004 servos for something that big?????

ScuD
10-13-2008, 02:21 AM
Yes, see the comment above you explaining that :happy:

Since the forces are dead-center on the servo axis when the bot is "prone", the servo's need not be ultra powerfull to perform their task.

jes1510
10-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Did anyone notice this little guy?
http://home.ctlnet.com/~minimechadon/minimechadon.htm

BMoscato
10-13-2008, 10:32 AM
I like how he fabricated the PCB as the cockpit; very intelligent use of space and gives a great dynamic to the project.

billyzelsnack
10-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Yes, see the comment above you explaining that :happy:

Since the forces are dead-center on the servo axis when the bot is "prone", the servo's need not be ultra powerfull to perform their task.

Yeah. I saw that. Sure it works for standing without much load on the servos, but at some point you'd like your robot to move!

DresnerRobotics
10-13-2008, 10:57 AM
As long as it can stand pretty well on one leg at a time, that method works. It is pretty limited as far as walking gaits go, the old hexapod 2s from Lynxmotion used this concept, and got way with using HS-322 servos on a 12 servo hex.

ScuD
10-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Each pro has it's con

MSpurk
10-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Yeah. I saw that. Sure it works for standing without much load on the servos, but at some point you'd like your robot to move!

Umm. You should watch the videos where it shows the robot walking. You can actually get a pretty good walking gait with weak servos. I built a quad using HS-311 servos (you know the $8.99 servos from Tower Hobbies). It can walk with 3 pounds of weight on the bot, plus the bots weight.

As mentioned above, the way that leg is designed, the servo only needs to be strong enough to pick up the leg. The linkages are taking the load. The servo motor itself is under essentually zero load. Even with the leg not perfectly aligned the load on the motor is reduced. As soon as you start moving away from that in-line the load increases.

-Matt-