PDA

View Full Version : One more thing about SSC-32...Important

ahmed
10-18-2008, 08:31 AM
helooooooo guys /girls agien

how are u ....... i hope every one here is fine and doing well ..

i have another qus about SSC-32 :

1. There is software for SSC-32 board which is SSC-32 squnecer which u can make sequnces in it and then send it to the board ...my qui is .. i want to make IF cases to control the input from the sensor (only one sensor i will use) ...could i make if caces in the software ? and how ?

2. The other thing is that ..can i use EEPROM with large capacity (more than 32kb).

3.My input will be Ultrasonic sensor ..i want to measure the distance ..how can i make timming the
SSC-32 suqncer if there is ?

4. unitl now i cant figure out where are these inpust pin the board ..can somebody clearfy it to me where is located and how to use them in the programing ?

best regards for all of u

ahmed

darkback2
10-18-2008, 08:55 AM
My guess is that the SSC-32 is probably the wrong tool for the job you are looking to do. couple of questions.

You are looking to use a distance sensor for what? Are you going to make a walking robot? wheeled robot?

Also, what is the ultimate end you currently have in mind?

DB

Adrenalynn
10-18-2008, 09:39 AM
I agree DB: It's absolutely the wrong tool unless you have an external microcontroller as well - I thought we had established that?

The input pins are next to the baud rate pins. The *only* thing you can do with them (without rewriting the firmware) is to send their 8bit content down the serial line.

And do you really want a 0-255 granularity on sensor data?

ahmed
10-18-2008, 09:59 AM
My project to to bulit hexapod robot with 18 servo motors .. am not sure if SSC-32 is the rit selection for my project
coz i want to include just one sensor in my project .But SSC -32 is easy to control through software and we can use bluetooth to communicate with which are good advantages .

if the SSC-32 is not the rit choice so what ur suggetion for me to use with acceptable cost (not more than 80 $) ?

Zenta
10-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Hi,

As a servo controller the SSC32 are very good for the prize. The onboard slot for a EEPROM are used to store sequences runned with the internal GP player. But you also need a microcontroller or a botboard with ex. Basic Atom Pro for sending "live" control data to the SSC32.

BTW, where have I seen the cool avatar of yours before...;)

ahmed
10-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Hi,

As a servo controller the SSC32 are very good for the prize. The onboard slot for a EEPROM are used to store sequences runned with the internal GP player. But you also need a microcontroller or a botboard with ex. Basic Atom Pro for sending "live" control data to the SSC32.

BTW, where have I seen the cool avatar of yours before...;)

i didnt get u on how use microcontroller for sending ''live '' data to ssc32 ...can u explain it to me plz .. i can work with AVR contorller

lnxfergy
10-18-2008, 07:02 PM
The SSC can do two things: run pre-defined servo movements, and accept commands from the serial port. If you want your robot to use a sensor to interact with environment then the first thing is out of the picture. Hence, you will primarily be using the SSC as a means to interface the 18 servos to either a microcontroller, or a PC (probably using some wireless connection).

Either way, the micro or PC will connect the SSC via a serial port, and you will have write a program the checks the sonar sensor, and then tells the SSC how to move the servos. The SSC can't do anything with the sonar value, just pass it along for someone else to deal with. In fact, the SSC can't do anything with most Sonar sensors, you would have to use a module such as the Maxbotics EZ1, which can put out an analog voltage corresponding to distance.

-Fergs

ahmed
10-18-2008, 11:43 PM
Thanks very much Inxfergs ..
i want to run pre-defined movements by SSC but in the same time i want to interface it with micro to read the value of the sensor and then tell the SSC to do something ...my quis are :

1. u know the program stored in EEPROM in ssc and i want to run many sequnces in that program ..how does SSC know which squnces will selectd if the sensor read value in the micro ?.

2. how does ssc communicate with mico ..via RX,TX in the micro ?

Adrenalynn
10-19-2008, 12:18 AM
1. It doesn't. Can't do. No. Not without rewriting the firmware. It doesn't know how to run anything. A microcontroller or PC has to tell it which sequence to run.

2. Serial. Either TTL or RS232 levels

ahmed
10-19-2008, 02:12 AM
so can anyboy do a toturial on communication between ssc and micro ?

Adrenalynn
10-19-2008, 03:36 AM
What micro? Have you read the SSC32's documentation? It's online.

ahmed
10-19-2008, 07:44 AM
Avr controller

Adrenalynn
10-19-2008, 02:06 PM
It'd be a little dependant upon which AVR, but the upshot is (did you read the manual) you're going to send some data to it, and get some data back:

In pseudo-code:

Send [to SSC32]: VA<cr> //Read analog value on input A
Recv [from SSC32]: some value 0-255 in binary(!), 8 bit value
let AnalogA = returnValue
0b00000101/AnalogA = AnalogA_Voltage

If we wanted to center the servo on Servo0, we'd send:
#0 P1500<cr>

Like I say - reading the manual would be helpful. We're sending a pulse of 1500uSec to port #0 here.

If we wanted to set the sequencer "Left High" to 2000uSec and "Left Middle" to 1700uSec we could send:
LH 2000, LM 1700<cr>

Specifically sending and receiving data from the UART on the AVR in C is going to depend on the AVR. The different families use different signals and different definitions.

ahmed
10-20-2008, 08:38 AM
i red this commands in the doucoment of ssc32 ....i want to know why ssc32 have ports for inpust since it cant control its self? could i wirte if cases in the code using ssc32 insturctions ? how ?

darkback2
10-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Hey,

After looking at what you want to do, I'm thinking you need to either choose a different tool for the job, or look at making a PC based robot...I know you don't want a "host controller" attached to your robot, but that is where various wireless solutions come to play. Look at using a Zigbee (sp), or some sort of micro PC if you go the PC route, also check the meet W.A.L.T.E.R (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1544&highlight=walter) thread to see about using a microcontroller to control a robot.

Again...just trying to be helpful.

DB

Adrenalynn
10-20-2008, 11:26 AM
It has input ports so that it can take INPUT and SEND IT TO THE PC OR MICROCONTROLLER.

"if cases using SSC32 instructions" - I'm sorry - I don't understand that question.

Do you know any programming languages yet?

The SSC32 "commands" aren't a programming language. They're simple commands.

You can write programs on a PC or microcontroller to make decisions based on input from, or output to, the SSC32.

That's it. The SSC32 has no programming language of its own.

Adrenalynn
10-20-2008, 11:27 AM
Maybe you should get an Axon instead? http://www.trossenrobotics.com/p/axon-microntroller.aspx

It has a bunch more memory and can control 20ish servos, and is open source.

darkback2
10-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Also check out the HDATS from Crustcrawler (http://www.crustcrawler.com/products/hexcrawler_hdats.php?prod=4). They use a microcontroller coupled with 2 mini SSC's to control a hexapod. Seams like you could get the electronics, and borrow the code.

DB

Adrenalynn
10-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Nod. Any microcontroller could control the SSC32 (if the MC had enough memory to get the job done). I was going for the Axon suggestion because:

1) it has tons of memory
2) it has a good support community
3) it controls servos directly - all one piece, no additional pieces required
4) it's open source
5) it already has both servo and sensor open-source code available.