PDA

View Full Version : [Just For Fun] Vote for your favorite TRC Member!!

Alex
10-27-2008, 04:22 PM
EDIT: Thread closed, see this post (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showpost.php?p=22539&postcount=25).

So... I was asked the other day, "Why don't we have a favorite TRC Member Contest?". Well, here ya go:

Vote for your favorite TRC Member

Winner receives a $75 Gift Certificate from ThinkGeek (http://www.thinkgeek.com/)!!

Yes, now is your chance to say who is your all time favorite TRC Member. We'll first start by asking everyone in the TRC to submit their nominees here in this thread.

Rules and Guidelines
Each nomination must include your reason(s) why you are nominating this member. Reasons can be repeated, but reasons like "because he/she is cool" will not be counted as a nomination, haha. TR employees and TRC mods are excluded:p The nominations will end one week from today on November 3rd 2008. Once nominations are closed, we'll tally up the numbers, and the top 10 members will be added to a poll in this thread. The poll for the winner will be closed on December 1st 2008

Get your nominations in!!

DresnerRobotics
10-27-2008, 04:24 PM
So where do I pick up my Thinkgeek Gift Certificate?

ScuD
10-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Great, a popularity contest among geeks, just what we needed :p

Nonetheless, I vote for Lynn, for the endless amount of knowledge she puts into this forum.
And the fact it's impossible to have her opinion altered in any way over any subject.

:veryhappy:

srobot
10-27-2008, 05:06 PM
I'll have to think about this one :)

Adrenalynn
10-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Thank you, Scud!

Although I'm a shoe-in, looks like I'm specifically excluded. [pout]

It is the thought that counts. So you can call Tyberius a knee-biter and I won't ban you. ;)

4mem8
10-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Hey what a great idea, I will be putting vote in when I get home from work tonight.

Modelmaker
10-27-2008, 08:40 PM
Thank you, Scud!

It is the thought that counts. So you can call Tyberius a knee-biter and I won't ban you. ;)

Well he is a knee biter:tongue:

Adrenalynn
10-27-2008, 09:48 PM
Careful there, you didn't offer to vote for me [yet]

jes1510
10-27-2008, 10:42 PM
I nominate Crab-Fu. He not only makes amazingly nice machines but he is an outstanding member. He also supplied the prizes for his very own contest to inspire creativity.

4mem8
10-27-2008, 11:50 PM
I nominate Mdenton for his brilliance in fluid motion with his hexapods. So cool. I would also like to nominate 2 others here,
Crabfu for his simple but very effective junk like bots, again so cool. and Zenta also for his work with fluid motion Hexapods.

ScuD
10-28-2008, 04:17 AM
Thank you, Scud!

I completely overlooked the "no mods allowed!!" part... must be sleep deprivation.

In that case, I too nominate Crabfu, for combining aesthetics with functional robots.

Eric
10-28-2008, 06:18 AM
A real no-brainer for a real brainer.
Adrenalynn... The talent and vast knowledge exceeds all that is rational in this world. I still don't believe she's human. I think she is a Google beta-program that has run away. :happy:

4mem8
10-28-2008, 06:46 AM
Eric, great choice, totally agree with you, but unfortunately we cannot vote for her, [Pity really]

darkback2
10-28-2008, 08:12 AM
OK...this is going to sound mega cheezy...but who wouldn't you vote for? With very few exceptions I have found everyone on this website to be an inspiration. Think about it. if it wasn't for sierra I woudn't have ever thought tripods could be viable. Adrenalynn is incredibly helpful, crabfu is an inspiration beyond all...Matt denton? can I say I wish I could walk a mile in his shoes because then I would be a mile away with his shoes and his robot. Matt Bauer? what is it about guys named matt who build robots? Zenta for inspiring me to get a hexapod...and then a quad...what is next? John Hylands and all his crazy walking shooting robotty goodness, not to mention the fact that the guy prints his own circuits. The guy who does robogames? Rpedro and his crazy kondo posts, Electricity making whicked cool stuff on such a tight freeking budget? Tyberious who now has a freeking dream job? 4mem8 whose building skills are...and even revoltage who lives in freeking egypt. Oh...and not to forget droid works who showed me that it is possible to make a living doing this. There isn't a person here who I haven't drawn some inspiration from...:robotindifferent:

DB

Alex
10-28-2008, 08:21 AM
I agree totally DB! There are so many incredible people here, I don't even know where to start with the nominations:D

remember though, only three nominations per member and all Mods & TR Employees are dq'ed:

Adrenalynn
Tyberius
myself
Matt

Modelmaker
10-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Seriously I would have to say
Crabfu for some awesome looking stuff (and the fact that he provides his own contest prizes)
and everyone else like DB said everyone here is awesome.

For the best Mod I would have to say Adrenalynn. not only does she keep everyone here in check , but she a massive contributor too.

Droid Works
10-28-2008, 09:47 AM
I nominate Adrenalynn (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/member.php?u=1711). She is the most helpfull and knolageable person on the fourums.

4mem8
10-28-2008, 11:55 AM
He he, Who didn't read the intro, Adrenalynne is a mod Droidworks.

4mem8
10-28-2008, 11:57 AM
DB, Great choice of words, Couldn't have said it better myself. Everyone should give themselves a pat on the back on this forum.

Adrenalynn
10-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about it last night, and it'd be totally impossible for me to name three. It would require me to slight too many people that have been way too big a help.

I have a pile of hardware here from DB, and a pile of conversations.
I have hardware and tremendous knowledge from Ooops.
I have a lengthy involved PM from 4Mem helping me out with track sourcing - and other stuff.
Scud responding to electronics questions
Metaform and his pointed insights
A couple members working on 3D models for me
The 'bots on the site that are truly inspiring - there's a good handful of users represented there

Then there's the regulars that chime-in with help for others, questions I don't have but absolutely need to be answered.

Look - this is a solid quality community that I'm proud to be a member of. I don't think it needs a popularity contest. And if it did - well, there's the [underutilized] rating system.

Hopefully mods are allowed to vote. 'Cause if I am, I'll put in my protest vote now. My three:

1. Everyone here
2. Everyone here that's ever answered a question and turned the lightbulb on
3. Everyone here that's ever answered one of MY questions, or has selflessly contributed in other ways [such as gift-hardware] to my own growth in this field.

Adrenalynn
10-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Tyberious who now has a freeking dream job?
DB

And is also the creator of Mech Wars, has three articles, (including a cover), in SERVO? Who has also driven much needed attention to both the community and to hobby-robotics in general with the publicity garnered by Mech Wars? I feel fairly assured that they didn't just hire him because they needed a hairball rolling around the office. Cats are cheaper and eventually produce more volume... :tongue:

Then there's Alex, the unsung hero, who does a TREMENDOUS amount of backend work here that is subtle but crucial. And is still 110% customer-service focused, even with the distractions.

And you want to talk about "unsung" and "hero"? Imagine poor Jen. She's the lone woman immersed in that environment who brings the organization of always getting our products out the door and into our collective hands on-time. She's never in line for the "thanks" because the boys are playing with robots and playing with the forum, and otherwise facing the public directly. ;)

And, of course, Matt. Without him, we wouldn't even be HAVING this conversation. This is a cost-center, not a profit-center for his business. It's his foresight that keeps it here. And he's also good for stirring-up the deep difficult discussions. ;) Not to mention keeping all these pieces described here from flying off at some physics-defying velocity in an utterly chaotic mess...

Alex
10-28-2008, 02:39 PM
thanks adrenalynn;) I'm still trying to find some damn time to upgrade these forums! There's some real cool stuff in the new version that I want to see running in the TRC!!

I didn't really look at this as a popularity contest, but rather a way of thanking everyone for all their awesome contributions, and giving someone a very well deserved $75 gift certificate to ThinkGeek,

But, everyone made a great point. It's just waaay too difficult to narrow down our choices to three members. So, let's just open it up and take away this limit, k?

Everyone who has already placed their votes, please copy and paste them in a new post here after this post and include any other member you'd like to nominate. ALSO, please bold face each member's username that you are nominating so that it is easier for me to tally up the numbers.

darkback2
10-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Hey Alex,

I think that is the foundation of the protest. Everyone here contributes to everyone here. It speaks to the beauty of this community and this forum. To ask us to list everyone who we think is important would give us a list of everyone. I propose we either change the nature of this contest? Is this a contest? Or base it on something more arbitrary such as post count, rep points, or I don't know...a post most diserving of charity...I really need this prize because... I don't mean this as a dis, please don't take it that way, it is just what it is. Or...how about whatever the prize is is simply used by the group as a whole. What if this was like tramp, or the things we lend out to eachother...we could get something cool from think geek. com, and mod the heck out of it to the point where it was unrecognizable. I propose we start with matt by the way.

DB

Modelmaker
10-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Here's my vote http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/memberlist.php

Alex
10-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Well said DB, I see your point (btw, it wasn't a contest, rather a "thank you to _____" kinda thing). I guess I just looked at it differently than most. For now, we'll just cancel this then... If anyone wants to discuss the idea further, just PM me.

DresnerRobotics
10-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Pfft. Alex just didn't want to give me the gift certificate!

Adrenalynn
10-28-2008, 04:51 PM
I'll give you a gift. I still owe you for what you added to my order. Thor!'s making it for you right now...