PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Mech Builders

DresnerRobotics
10-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Can't divulge too many details, but if you would like your current progress on your Mech project showcased in a certain well known publication about robotics... I need the highest quality photo of your mech ASAP.

Doesn't matter if it isn't finished, the point is to showcase the work being done and the projects in progress. That said, if you have weapons picked out and/or available please mount them, if only temporarily for the pictures. Want to make these look as much like Mechs as possible.

I need photos with good lighting, preferably on a uniform color (or just white) backdrop. Please send a couple for me to choose from.

Please try to get these to me within a week or so, I'm trying to get this article written and sent in ASAP. You can send them to me here: Andrew @ trossenrobotics -dot- -com-

Thanks!

darkback2
10-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Do you want writeups as well or just photos?

Here are pictures. Tell me if they are good enough.

DresnerRobotics
10-29-2008, 04:47 PM
You can include a write-up, absolutely!

Disclaimer: I may use some, all, or none of it. :p

4mem8
10-29-2008, 06:15 PM
I'm at work now Tyberius, but when I get home tonight I will take some more of ED-209 in better lighting. done deal.

gdubb2
10-29-2008, 07:06 PM
I'll have to put Bhekas guns back on, but it will be done...

Gary

Sienna
10-29-2008, 08:42 PM
*sigh* I have the chassis prototype pieces, but no metal bending tools. And the feet still need to be cleaned and put together... so, looks like I will miss this one.

Sorry Tyb.

srobot
10-29-2008, 08:57 PM
I'm working on CAD for my Mech, should be done by next Tuesday... Will that work for you, or do I need to hurry up? :)

As for actually competing at RoboGames 2008 it's really a tossup... Like I've said before, building my mech and getting to RoboGames will take some large coin (about $1000 for a week at a hotel and 2-way flight). As for my Mech, I'm looking at an upgrade of over $500... Hardware upgrades will be minimal as I want to prove that software is huge (this will also keep the cost down).

Anywho, do you still want me to upload some pictures?

DresnerRobotics
10-29-2008, 10:27 PM
*sigh* I have the chassis prototype pieces, but no metal bending tools. And the feet still need to be cleaned and put together... so, looks like I will miss this one.

Sorry Tyb.

When do you think is the soonest you could have something photo-worthy? It doesnt need to be finished at all, as long as it resembles a mech and not a pile of parts :p

Scotty- I'm looking for actual photos, not CAD renderings. Have anything along those lines?

billyzelsnack
10-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Sienna. Have you done the research on metal bending tools yet because I'll be riding that boat soon? What have you found out? Or.. Maybe I might just be lazy and buy whatever they have at the Harbor Freight store.

srobot. I have two conferences in San Francisco that are less than a month a part! I figure that if I have a bot ready I just have to go. I've been talking about entering Robocup for years. Robogames is a nice stepping stone. I just need to freak'n get started into the scene.. I guess that's when the real expenses start showing up though.. Multiple trips to Japan/Korea/etc per year.. Now that's expensive!

srobot
10-29-2008, 10:48 PM
It doesnt need to be finished at all, as long as it resembles a mech and not a pile of parts :p

Scotty- I'm looking for actual photos, not CAD renderings. Have anything along those lines?

I should have something resembling a mech by the 7th of next month (I will also try and get a gun by then also). I hope this will work for you?

srobot. I have two conferences in San Francisco that are less than a month a part! I figure that if I have a bot ready I just have to go. I've been talking about entering Robocup for years. Robogames is a nice stepping stone. I just need to freak'n get started into the scene.. I guess that's when the real expenses start showing up though.. Multiple trips to Japan/Korea/etc per year.. Now that's expensive!

Yup, I know what you mean.

Adrenalynn
10-30-2008, 12:09 AM
I have numerous brakes, Billy'. Whatcha lookin' for? I have several from Harbor Freight, and several larger. Depends what you want to do and the gauge you want to do it in. For lighter-gauge stuff, Harbor Freight actually has several cool brakes. For $300ish they have a cute 24" box/pan "finger brake" that has fingers down to 1". They have a bead-roller you can put in a vice that works fairly well for an organ-grinder style. Their flat 36" brake is a must-have up to about 12G mild - cheap and effective. They don't really have a good radius brake that I've seen, though.

billyzelsnack
10-30-2008, 02:01 AM
I understood about 10% of the above post! Let's continue the conversation here.. http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?p=22608#post22608

Sienna
10-30-2008, 06:39 AM
When do you think is the soonest you could have something photo-worthy? It doesnt need to be finished at all, as long as it resembles a mech and not a pile of parts :p

I dunno quite honestly. I live in an apartment, so I don't exactly have room for a garage full of metal working tools like some of you. The feet I can work on easily, when I get some sand paper. The Chassis (which without it the bot is only two legs) I can't do at all until I can get it bent. (I got it cut during the sale that Big Blue Saw was having recently... and of course when I get it in I realized that one of the edges wasn't dimensioned on the drawing I sent them :() If someone in the MD area has a box brake with small fingers that I can use, I can get it done. Otherwise, it might be a while. Not having the tools (or space for them) sucks! I would be willing to ship the parts to someone if they would offer to bend it on their brake, but shipping both ways could delay it up to 10 days.

Sienna. Have you done the research on metal bending tools yet because I'll be riding that boat soon? What have you found out? Or.. Maybe I might just be lazy and buy whatever they have at the Harbor Freight store.
Yes, as Adrenalynn suggested, you want a box brake. I have done metal stuff before, just back in college where the robotics club had tools readily available.

DresnerRobotics
10-31-2008, 01:43 PM
C'mon guys! I know there are more builders out there than just these few. Cough up some pictures!

Sienna
10-31-2008, 04:52 PM
Sorry Tyb! Just not ready :( All I have is a pile of parts.

srobot
10-31-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm working on it!

Give me till Friday the 7th and I'll get you some pics.

billyzelsnack
10-31-2008, 08:04 PM
My robot is currently just an ankle. Well.. Almost an ankle.

gdubb2
10-31-2008, 08:13 PM
Pics sent...

Gary

elios
10-31-2008, 09:09 PM
lol, im still waiting for my parts to arrive from the states...

DresnerRobotics
11-04-2008, 12:54 PM
I need the pictures in by the AM of this Friday by the absolute latest.

Anyone else?

elios
11-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Why so? my parts still havent arrived...

Adrenalynn
11-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Fixed date constraints. No big deal, you just won't be able to take part in a cool announcement that he hasn't made yet. :D

DresnerRobotics
11-05-2008, 12:49 AM
Why so? my parts still havent arrived...

Have deadlines man :) Sorry.

billyzelsnack
11-05-2008, 02:47 AM
Maybe there will be a follow-up article for the slackers?

4mem8
11-05-2008, 04:05 AM
Pics sent Tyb, hope they are ok.

srobot
11-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Still working....

What time on Friday?

gdubb2
11-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Run Scotty... Run like the wind...

srobot
11-06-2008, 07:22 PM
: )

I have a beta version built!

I was going over the rules and saw the one about the height... can mine be shorter than 10 inches?

Either way this is still a beta so I can change it later.

I'll get the pictures uploaded in like 3 hours.

btw - I don't have the gun or cam yet so I made some mock up parts.

srobot
11-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Here we go :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/srobot/sets/72157608724303289/

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3015/3008935907_5e290798b8.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3295/3008935909_160d1be43d.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3010/3008935927_ff769edf06.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3213/3008935921_bacd685b48.jpg?v=0

(Higher quality images are on the above link.)

His name is Mechling, he is better then the very best, because there is no word for this we call him Sir!

Sir Mechling!

I completely changed my Mech from the original "dog" to a "human" because the idea can easily and cheaply be copied by other builders interested in building a Mech. It can also be scaled up with cheaper or more expensive servos. Currently this is built with AX-12+ Robotis servos. In the final version I plan to use cheap Hitec 411 servos, a SSC-32 controller, and homemade brackets cut with a bandsaw. Anyone may take my idea for this and build upon it or do a complete copy, I don't care.

Anyone up for building Lady Mechling? lol!

Edit - The part about Sir and all was a joke, although his name is still Mechling.

Sienna
11-07-2008, 07:30 AM
I hope Mechling can look "up", or else he will be firing upon everyone's ankles! :D

<insert monty python quote here about black knights and ankles>

srobot
11-07-2008, 08:19 AM
I hope Mechling can look "up", or else he will be firing upon everyone's ankles! :D

<insert monty python quote here about black knights and ankles>

Yup, he sure can! I hope the other robots can shoot down. :D

darkback2
11-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Yup, he sure can! I hope the other robots can shoot down. :D

Shooting would be a waste of amo. Charlie will just sit on him.:p

Sit Charlie, Sit...good girl.

DB

sthmck
11-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Charlie is a girl?

darkback2
11-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Happyness is a warm gun. (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=2105&highlight=sexual+dimorphism)

DB

srobot
11-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Charlie is a girl?

lol! :veryhappy:

Charlie will just sit on him.:p

That is a problem and we are, um, working on it. *Gulp*

I am not really planning on winning for this first year, it is more just for the fun of it. That's not to say I won't try to get 1st of course.

As far as total cost, I'm looking at ~$150 USD (if bought new) for my final version of Mechling. I hope this will show people who are interested in Mech Wars that they do not a 2 foot tall, 10 pound, "super servo fighting thing" that will cost a few thousand dollars. If enough smaller robots are built for Mech Wars maybe we could even have a lightweight class!

I may still take a higher power 'bot to Mech Wars in adition to Mechling (can anyone say "Black Ice"?).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_ice

btw - My main robot for RoboGames will be William in the humanoid events. Secondary will be Mechling and (if built) Black Ice for Mech Wars, and in third priority will be Mad Dog for Lego Sumo.

srobot
11-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Happyness is a warm gun. (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=2105&highlight=sexual+dimorphism)

DB

So is Mechling a boy or a girl?

darkback2
11-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Thats the cool thing about charlie (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=2481). I spent under $100 making her on new parts. With the exception of the computer which could be switched out for something else, you could probably get all of the other parts for under $300. OK...so that is twice what you are spending, but you get the picture.

Check out the junkbot challenge (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=2472).

DB

srobot
11-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Thats the cool thing about charlie (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=2481). I spent under $100 making her on new parts. With the exception of the computer which could be switched out for something else, you could probably get all of the other parts for under $300. OK...so that is twice what you are spending, but you get the picture.

Check out the junkbot challenge (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=2472).

DB

Cool!

I love seeing cheap robots.

What servos are you using?

Does your ~$300 include the cost of a camera? I forgot to say that my $150 does not include the cost of a camera because there are sooo many choices (at a huge swing of prices).

darkback2
11-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Probably...lets see

Phidget 8/8/8 ~ $80
2 IR sensors ~ $45
USB webcam ~ $40
Gun ~ $20
Servos ~ $45 MMG 995s from ebay (bulk purchase)
Gripper Assembly ~$15
Scrap aluminum ~$ 3
Total ~$248 again, not including the computer.

srobot
11-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Probably...lets see

Phidget 8/8/8 ~ $80
2 IR sensors ~ $45
USB webcam ~ $40
Gun ~ $20
Servos ~ $45 MMG 995s from ebay (bulk purchase)
Gripper Assembly ~$15
Scrap aluminum ~$ 3
Total ~$248 again, not including the computer.

Mind if I ask what webcam? :)

darkback2
11-07-2008, 01:53 PM
its a kritter cam...came with an ER-1 of mine. Its just a usb camera. nothing special. That is where the computer comes in. USB webcam broadcast using either CUSEEME or some other program. you can get them on ebay for way under $45. I was just throwing out a figure there.

Using a wireless internet cam...much more expensive option...(excluding the computer ofcourse.

I guess the way I see it, the computer was chosen because I could build it right into robots that don't weigh very much, and use it as the brains in a lot of different robots. My wife just got me a new UMPC...a Wibrain. It was under $600 including shipping from australia...puts it kind of on par with a pico ITX once you have all the other aspects of using one of those worked out...though its much more expensive than say the controller board from a robonova or bioloid.

Oh...and I think I left out that I used an SSC-32 on charlie...about $45

DB

srobot
11-24-2008, 04:39 PM
Tyb - When will the article be out? :)

DresnerRobotics
11-24-2008, 06:12 PM
Whenever the next issue of Robot Magazine hits shelves ;)

Thanks everyone for your picture submissions, I rounded up everything that everyone provided as well as some pictures from the site and sent them in with the article, so the editors have a lot to work with!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to sleep in hopes of sleeping off this plague I've caught.

Adrenalynn
11-24-2008, 07:00 PM
You seem to be hyper-susceptible to the plague lately... :tongue:

Feel better!

gdubb2
11-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Well, since Robot is only published 6 times a year, and I just got the Jan/Feb 2009 issue, I guess it will be out about Jan or Feb.....Pooh..

Gary