PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm in love! (RoboBuilder)

JoeStrout
10-29-2008, 04:31 PM
I just got the RoboBuilder Creator (Black) kit today for my birthday (is my wife awesome or what?), and spent the morning assembling the HUNO model.

I love this kit! I'm feeling serious affection for the RoboBuilder company, too, though I have also have some misgivings (mainly regarding the robobuilder.net web site).

Things I love:

1. The full-color manual was excellent, and the video tutorials are a nice touch. (Though I only watched a little of those, and mostly assembled the bot from the manual.)

2. All parts were very neatly packaged, right down to having all the bolts pre-sorted and labelled. Including a high-quality screwdriver was a nice sign of class, too.

3. It all looks very hackable the head, for example, appears to be held together with screws, and contains plenty of empty space and get this: the PCB board therein appears to have a prototyping area with solder pads! That's just awesome.

4. The design of everything is superb: joints, cables, nut wells, all just fits together as it should. I'm loving it, and (hey Trossen!) eager to buy some extra joints and other upgrades.

Things I don't love about it:

1. Out of the box, the bot can walk, side-step, and turn, and has one other motion (a wave). That's it if it falls down, it can't even get up.

2. Four additional motions are installed by the CD, but they're of only moderate interest. It still can't get up from a prone or supine position.

3. So you're forced to look for motion files to download from the website. The manual doesn't suggest where you should do that, but I'd heard here about robobuilder.net... but, as others have pointed out, this is a horribly designed web site and the downloads don't work at all under Firefox. How hard is it to make a file-sharing site? (I see that we have a motion files area here (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=16), which will help, but it's still pretty sparse.)

None of that is really a huge deal I expect to have to create many motions on my own anyway. But I thought the motions frequently seen in the demo videos (getting up, tumbling, etc.) would be included.

Still, the hardware is beautiful, the controller is ATmega-based, it can be programmed in C, and it all looks very hackable and expandable... I love it!

JoeStrout
10-29-2008, 04:39 PM
1. Out of the box, the bot can walk, side-step, and turn, and has one other motion (a wave). That's it if it falls down, it can't even get up.

...Unless, of course, you notice the "A" and "B" buttons at the top of the remote, or read page 74 of the manual a little more carefully than I did.

Sheesh.

So I take back that objection they do have all the basics covered out of the box! I thought my love had a flaw, and it turned out the flaw was in myself...

Cheers,
- Joe

DresnerRobotics
10-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Our current plan is to use the Data Center (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/downloads.php) here at the TRC to host our own Robobuilder File Sharing center, as the Robobuilder.net site does have some issues (such as the serial number registration requirements, incompatibilities, etc).

It is a new humanoid, but our hope is that as it matures more and more user created motion files will populate our Data Center.

Glad you like your Robobuilder! I got to play with ours for about 4 days straight at Robogames, and even fought Zog from Farrell Robotics with him (and didn't do nearly as bad as expected, though they went easy on me :p )

Bullit
10-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Happy Birthday Joe!
New robot for your birthday! What could be better then that?

Enusi Malik
10-31-2008, 01:15 PM
I have been hearing more and more people preferring robobuilder, it is beginning to change my opinon on the kit, good stuff :-)