PDA

View Full Version : I'm obviously retarded

metaform3d
10-31-2008, 01:17 AM
Obviously the reason things are going so badly for me right now is that I decided to start a Halloween related Phidgets project the night before Halloween. So I'm a retard.

Here's what I'm doing:

- start C# 2008 IDE
- select "New"
- pick "Windows Forms Application"
- when the blank forms window appears, double click on it
- from Form1_Load, scroll up to the "using" area
- add "using Phidgets;"
- attempt to build

At this point I get an error that says that "Phidgets" is unknown -- did I perhaps forget a "using" statement?

The crazy thing is that I have other C# projects that have the same "using Phidgets" statement, which I can load into the same running copy of the C# environment, and which work fine. What the hell am I missing?

Please respond by PM because I'm 250 messages behind on this forum and I'm not sure I'll ever catch up. Thanks.

darkback2
10-31-2008, 07:48 AM
probably the wrong person to be answering this because I don't know anything about c#...but two ideas

One is copy the header from a program that works...see if that works, and if not possibly reinstall the phidgets API...

In Max/MSP under windows, the phidgets object only works if you capitalize the word phidget...except sometimes when it only works if you don't...and I can't tell what the difference is between those times...

Hope this helps.

Alex
10-31-2008, 08:34 AM
I'm also PM'ing you now, but Did you add your reference to the Phidget Library?

"Project -> Add Reference -> under .NET tab, select Phidget21.NET Runtime v2.0.50727"

metaform3d
11-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks to all who responded. I was able to make headway by copying a project that worked and gutting it. You're probably right, Alex, that the problem was the missing "add reference" step. When I examined the project that worked it didn't have any references listed in its properties, so I assumed I didn't need it. I'll try that next time I get a chance.

In any case, let me introduce you to Scary Ghost, the world's simplest Halloween robot.

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/7/0/5/cimg2106.jpg

It's basically a coathanger on a servo, a light sensor and a flashlight for an electric eye scheme, and a PC hidden under a plastic tarp. When a trick-or-treater breaks the beam the ghost screams and wiggles back and forth. My daughter decorated it and did the voice acting.

The only thing I bought for this project was a CAD$11 Phidget light sensor, so I think this qualifies as a junk bot.

metaform3d
11-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Here's video:

YouTube - Scary Ghost
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpOnt2mkum8

Alex
11-03-2008, 10:39 AM
too funny meta! I bet you scared the crap outta some kids with that:D