PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] Stream webcam from PC based robot

anandoc
11-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Hello folks,

I have been searching this for quite sometime and also went through all the posts here. I am trying to design a pico-ITX based robot which will also have a webcam. I was trying to stream the webcam feed via wifi. So essentially, I can sit on my control PC on my desk and watch the stream from the robot PC via wifi.

I was wondering if any of you have done anything similar to this before and had any good ideas. I came across Tincam streaming software, but was wondering if there is anything better and light weight than this. Thanks.

Adrenalynn
11-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Hi Anandoc,

Did you have a look at the MechWars thread on this topic (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1932)?

DresnerRobotics
11-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Simplest solution is just to use an RDP connection to the pico-ITX's desktop. Latest build of RDP streams video pretty well.

Adrenalynn
11-06-2008, 02:30 PM
That's so heavy for that. Why not any of the light-weight streaming apps made for that? Much less latency if nothing else.

CUSEEME, Skype Video, ooVoo, ... The list of nice tight applications with minimal latency is really high.

anandoc
11-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the reply Adrenalynn. That thread mostly talks about dedicated IP cameras or cameras which operate over 2.4 Ghz (non-Wifi). I am looking for a setup where I can just connect a USB (or firewire) webcam to my onboard pico-ITX robot and then the onboard computer can just run a streaming server and I can view it via windows media player (or any other player or via a custom written app) on my desktop. The bot would obviously be on wifi.

Tincam seems to have a lag of about 10 seconds so its not really real-time. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Thanks for the replies Tyberius and Adrenalynn. I dont wanna use RDP because its just a waste of bandwitdth for a simple job. Taxing the wifi adapter more would result in more power consumption, which means lesser battery life? Adrenalynn, you seem to mention quite a few applications. Lemme google them up and see what they are all about. Thanks a lot for the pointers. I wil lpost back with my findings.

EDIT# 2: All those softwares like Skype need me to have an account with them and route the video feed from their servers. This is not what I need. I am not going to have the robot on the WWW ... just on the local network.

DresnerRobotics
11-06-2008, 03:01 PM
That's so heavy for that. Why not any of the light-weight streaming apps made for that? Much less latency if nothing else.

CUSEEME, Skype Video, ooVoo, ... The list of nice tight applications with minimal latency is really high.

Because it also gives you full desktop access to the PC, and is simple as it's built in to windows. It may be heavier than a pure streaming app, but it allows you 100x the access to the onboard PC. It streams video pretty decently too, enough for me to navigate around my house with.

Sienna
11-06-2008, 06:07 PM
what about things like VLC? Can that open a usb connection?

Adrenalynn
11-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Anything that can take a live input under Linux VfL can technically stream it back out live.

robot maker
11-06-2008, 07:17 PM
here is a really good steaming software for usb webcam and IP webcams

http://www.webcamxp.com/home.aspx
this should be close to what you are looking for

Hello folks,

I have been searching this for quite sometime and also went through all the posts here. I am trying to design a pico-ITX based robot which will also have a webcam. I was trying to stream the webcam feed via wifi. So essentially, I can sit on my control PC on my desk and watch the stream from the robot PC via wifi.

I was wondering if any of you have done anything similar to this before and had any good ideas. I came across Tincam streaming software, but was wondering if there is anything better and light weight than this. Thanks.

anandoc
11-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks robot maker. webcamxp seems to be a good catch. I am tinkering with that now. Thanks again!

EDIT: Thats exactly what I was looking for. It can stream in Flash too! Now I can embed that in my C# application! Thanks again!