PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] Motor controller ?'s

sthmck
11-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Hey everyone. I have a few motor controller questions. I am working on a small table top robot.
Here are a list of the main parts right now.
Basic Stamp 2p
Parallax Development Board
Tamiya dual motor gearbox
Tamiya track kit
Pololu low voltage dual serial motor controller
I have a few other parts that are going to be used but they are irrelevant for my questions.

First of all the motors in the gearbox are supposed to use no more than three volts. Will I have any problems if I use more?
I will be controlling two motors, but right now I am just working on getting the controller to work with one.
Here are my connections:
Pin 1 on the MC is connected to Vin on the Stamp Board. I am a little concerned with this because this is supposed to be the motor power supply. This is why I asked about over volting.
Pin 2 on the MC is connected to Vss on the Stamp Board.
Pin 3 on the MC is connected to Vdd on the SB
Pin 4 on the MC is connected to Pin 1 on the SB
Pin 5 on the MC is connected to Pin 0 on the SB
The other pins are connected to the motor based on the manuals direction for single motor mode.
Does this sound like it should work?
If that is right so far then my next problem is resetting the motor controller. I am not sure what code I am supposed to use. The instruction manual that comes with the motor controller says that I need to reset the controller. I copied the example code that is given, but nothing happened. It is supposed to blink an led, but it doesn't.

If anyone has any idea what I am doing wrong I would appreciate some input. Thanks in advance.

Adrenalynn
11-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Does the manual really say to pull the motor voltage from the basic stamp? Seems like a one way ticket to buying a non-smoking basic stamp...

sthmck
11-06-2008, 02:55 PM
no it doesn't. That is one of the things that I was wondering. Just make a totally separate supply? Right now I have the stamp board hooked up to a wall supply.

Adrenalynn
11-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Yeah, the power for the motors should be coming from some high-current source.

The control wires from the motor controller should go to the BS.

I have one of those "toy" controllers here, but no BS. I haven't ever even opened the little motor controller - I had it in mind for a project, but quickly moved away from that scale and enlarged the project.

sthmck
11-06-2008, 03:29 PM
I rewired the controller, and wrote some code and now it is communicating, but I checked the pins that go to the motors and there is nothing.