PDA

View Full Version : FSR Kit

ianham
11-12-2008, 08:41 PM
HI,

I was thinking about purchasing a FSR kit to be used as a LED dimmer. Basically I am going to mount this at the bottom of my cup holder in my car with a lexan disk over top. When I put a drink in the cup holder the LEDS will light up then when I drink some the leds will dim eventualy going out. What kit would you recomend and will this even work?

Thanks...

Ian.

Also isn't shipping to Canada a little pricey?
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3715/canadianshippinki9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Adrenalynn
11-13-2008, 12:52 AM
Hi Ianham, welcome to the forum!

You would also need a microcontroller of some type - an Arduino would be my suggestion.

4mem8
11-13-2008, 03:56 AM
ianham: Freight M'mmm Try living in New Zealand and getting items from the rest of the world, UPS and FedX are outrageous in their freight costs, I now talk to the companys I deal with before buying to get a better freight rate and usually we strike a deal, If not I go somewhere else. Since being on several forums I have struck some really neat friends [Personal] and they have offered to send my gear from the states to NZ at a considerable reduction in freight, as long as you have something like PayPal it's as easy as 123. At this point I must say a very big thank you to those people that have helped me with sending my products to NZ, Thank you.

Matt
11-13-2008, 11:19 AM
A trick to get around the freight is to have it shipped to a friend in the states who transfers it over to regular mail for you. Unfortunately, as a company, we have to stick to UPS.

A cup full of liquid is pretty light for those FSRs. You might be better off rigging up a simple switch and using a light that softly turns on and off.

Adrenalynn
11-13-2008, 11:25 AM
A strain-gauge might better answer the design criteria, of indicating the amount remaining though... My digital scale will indicate hundredths of an ounce, and it employs a digital strain gauge (AKA Load Cell). I haven't gone looking to source them though.

Actually, an Analog Load Cell might be even better on a microcontroller. You should be able to build a simple amplifier and increase sensitivity.

SteamBoat
11-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Wouldn't a basic R/C (Resistive/Capacitive) circuit handle the fade? A micro switch to charge the circuit and turn on the lights.

Or do you mean that a full cup gets full lights and lights out for an empty cup?