PDA

View Full Version : [News/Announcement] The New MechRC Humanoid Robot is here!

DresnerRobotics
11-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Trossen Robotics is proud to be the first in the United States to offer the new MechRC Humanoid Robot (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/mechrc-robot.aspx?a=blog)! This new ready-to-walk robot is a breakthrough in price to performance at only $599.99 USD.

High torque metal gear servos, LiPo batteries for longer run times, a fluid 3D visual software programming interface for easy custom motions, and a remote control unit are included. Everything you need to have you own walking robot is included in this ready-to-walk kit! With over a hundred pre-installed motions and sounds you can get this robot throwing some dance floor shapes or some killer fighting moves straight from the box.

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/images/productimages/mechrc/MechRC-4.jpg (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/mechrc-robot.aspx?a=blog)

YouTube - The Evolution of Robotic Dance

4mem8
11-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Pretty neat robot Tyberius, What are your thoughts modding for Mechwars? Or is it dedicated to dance type instructions?

Droid Works
11-19-2008, 03:39 AM
Awesome! I cant wait to get one.

openmindedjjj
11-19-2008, 12:46 PM
ya it is a pretty good deal for the price. the servoes are pretty strong with 180 oz torque which is good and it comes with a controller as well i would love to get one.

darkback2
12-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Hey...You guys made it on...

ebay.

Thought you would find this amusing. The person obviously just copied your blog post directly into their ebay posting...

Mech RC on ebay. (http://cgi.ebay.com/MechRC-Humanoid-Robot-Trossen-Robotics-from-New-Jersey_W0QQitemZ110323673504QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item110323673504&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50)

DB

DresnerRobotics
12-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Wow, that's highway robbery at that price too.

4mem8
12-12-2008, 01:19 PM
M'mmm Interesting that who ever is selling these can up it to that price, I mean Trossen also has to make a profit and their price is way below that, I wonder if they are retail? or just some flyby night ppl. Hope they don't sell any at that price.

Adrenalynn
12-12-2008, 01:54 PM
That is kinda bad because they appear to be claiming to represent Trossen Robotics. If it were me, I'd probably have eBay do a Take Down...

billyzelsnack
12-12-2008, 06:11 PM
My guess is they'll also wait until/if someone buys it before they even buy it themselves. My brother "won" an ipod touch on ebay and the guy flat out told him it'll be a few days since he had not bought it yet. wtf.

RightHandofDoom
12-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Xmas came early for me. Proud, new owner of a MechRC here. Anybody else having fun learning how to make this robot move?

Adrenalynn
12-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Welcome to the forum, RHoD - and cool handle!

Congrats on your new XMas gift!

DresnerRobotics
12-20-2008, 06:45 PM
I've played around with the software a good amount and was pretty impressed. As far as ease-of-use goes, this is one of the best software packages I've seen.

I'll be honest- when I first heard about this robot I was thinking: Aww great, another subpar budget humanoid. Then Limor sent me one to evaluate and my entire opinion changed. Super strong servos, metal gears, LiPo batteries, and a solid software package backing it. One of the best values on the market right now.

RightHandofDoom
12-20-2008, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

This is the first humanoid bot I've purchased. I take that back. I bought an I-sobot a few months ago, but returned it immediatly. Just not enough challenge.
It was a very tough decision between the Robonova and MechRC. The newer technology and lower price got me. I sure hope they improve their web presence though. Lots of dead links kind of have me worried. I'd love to try and add a gyro as soon as they're available.
The software does seem pretty straight forward and easy to understand. I've been able to create a few movement files and download them OK.
Now if I could get my hands on that Evolution of Dance file and show off MechRC's stuff, I might be able to get a few sold. Until then, I'll be busy trying to duplicate it. I just ripped the sound file off UTube.

Wish me luck!

DresnerRobotics
12-20-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm pretty sure I have the MechRC inventor's email in my contacts, I'll shoot him an email on monday and see if they have that motion file available.

Thanks for the welcome!

This is the first humanoid bot I've purchased. I take that back. I bought an I-sobot a few months ago, but returned it immediatly. Just not enough challenge.
It was a very tough decision between the Robonova and MechRC. The newer technology and lower price got me. I sure hope they improve their web presence though. Lots of dead links kind of have me worried. I'd love to try and add a gyro as soon as they're available.
The software does seem pretty straight forward and easy to understand. I've been able to create a few movement files and download them OK.
Now if I could get my hands on that Evolution of Dance file and show off MechRC's stuff, I might be able to get a few sold. Until then, I'll be busy trying to duplicate it. I just ripped the sound file off UTube.

Wish me luck!

RightHandofDoom
12-31-2008, 09:23 PM
*Sigh*
I'm wondering if I should have gone with the Robonova.
The right foot (Forward/Back) servo just took a dump. It'll be interesting to see if the whole bot gets replaced, or if I get to replace the servo.
Barely two weeks old and I'm only a third of the way recreating the Evolution of Dance routine.
I haven't torn it apart so the warranty better be OK.

4mem8
12-31-2008, 11:05 PM
Man, That sucks for a new bot.

DresnerRobotics
01-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Did you pick it up from us?

If so:

I'm not in office today, but if you give me a call tomorrow I can look into the warranty process for you. We'll get you taken care of one way or another.

*Sigh*
I'm wondering if I should have gone with the Robonova.
The right foot (Forward/Back) servo just took a dump. It'll be interesting to see if the whole bot gets replaced, or if I get to replace the servo.
Barely two weeks old and I'm only a third of the way recreating the Evolution of Dance routine.
I haven't torn it apart so the warranty better be OK.

RightHandofDoom
01-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Thanks for your help Andrew. I really appreciate it.
I packed everything up last night, then thought about doing a little more troubleshooting.
I'm a noob when it comes to servos and robotic controllers, but my job entails repairing laptops, computers, printers, so I know how a screwdriver works.
It seems to be fine cold, but after few minutes of activity the servo starts moving by itself and goes slack. I wonder if it's the servo, or the controller? I'd love to try to troubleshoot this myself, but I'm not wearing my "I void warranties" t-shirt right now.
I've printed off the RMA form and will call your office tomorrow.
One last question.
Should I have opted for the robonova? I know you can't answer here, but maybe a PM?

Thanks again,

Patrick

RightHandofDoom
01-06-2009, 09:09 PM
It's nice to find a company that treats it's customers so well.
I have the replacement already and everything seems to be working.
Thanks for all your help Andrew.
Now if I could find some other MechRC users out there.

RightHandofDoom
02-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Just an update and a small problem. Been having fun working out new moves for my MechRC. Got the first minute and 45 seconds of the Evolution of Dance done. Granted 90% of the moves come with the robot. Too bad the onboard memory will only hold 1:45 of WAV file.
Looks like I have a wire going bad now. The left thigh servo goes slack when the wire is stretched. I've pulled some slack from the controller end, but it seems the short is at the servo. Hate to bug you about this Andrew, but would you know the wire gauge on these? 32AWG maybe? I see where I can get servo wire but I haven't a clue about the right size.
Wish someone else on this board would get one of these!