PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] robot scorpion

openmindedjjj
11-20-2008, 12:51 AM
ok so i have a bioloid hex robot and wana make a hexapod but not just any hex i wana make a scorpion so i pretty much just need to add a tail. well i wana do that first and then add claws and everything else later, my qustion is.. i dont relly know a lot about robots but is it possible to add a smaller servo for the tail since i dont need large ax-12s just for a tail which dosent require a heavy load! i wanted to add smaller servos to make a tail but im not shure if i would be able to program it or if it was even compatable? is their a program like java or c++ i should use or is it even possible sence i would be using the cm-5 or would i have to buy a new microcontroller? what do you guys think? http://www.nevadapca.org/Images/Images/scorpion.jpg

Adrenalynn
11-20-2008, 03:08 AM
Hex = 6.

Scorpions have eight legs, plus their pedipalps. They're actually in the same class as spiders (Class: Arachnida Order: Scorpiones) Arachida have eight legs.

If you want a Scorpion, you're gonna need 8 legs plus the pedipalps (the leg-like things that the claws are on) plus the tail. Also notice the segmentation of the legs. Oh, and of course, you're going to have to have two body segments...

The CM5 isn't set-up to do regular PWM for analog servos. So it's bioloid or bioloid - and they don't make micro-servos. So you'd need another servo controller and something to interface to it. After that, you'll need to make your own brackets.

Zenta
11-20-2008, 04:01 AM
Hi, a scorpion octopod (8 legs as Adrenalyn mentioned) would be cool.
Actually I've experimented with scorpion walking gait:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsw0TQOtbYU

And here some more testing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug1ajSmjNAc

Good luck with your scorpion project!

-Zenta

4mem8
11-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Always good to see your video's Zenta, A pleasure to watch.

Zenta
11-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Always good to see your video's Zenta, A pleasure to watch.

Thanks 4mem8!

I didn't mean to hijack this thread, my point was only that you'll need 8 leg to perform true scorpion gait ;)

4mem8
11-20-2008, 11:31 AM
I count about 38 servos for that project, And that's NOT counting the 7 body segments that would be required to make it move and look real. Building it is one thing [A challenge], Programing it is another, Not enough out puts on the SCC32 for this one, Daisy chain I suppose but more space required. And oh man, the batteries involved to run all those servos, Plus all the other electronics. Big task I say. I hope you have a big bank balance openmindedjjj. My projects look easy compared to this one.

Adrenalynn
11-20-2008, 11:40 AM
For a project like you describe, 4mem, wait for the new ServoWizard. Only 25 servos, but runs over the I2C and about half the width of a SSC32 (so rumor has it)

openmindedjjj
11-20-2008, 05:26 PM
ok sounds good! ya i was also thinking about putting 2 bioloids together in order to get more servos working and then linking the 2 cm-5's so they could think as one robot!
haha and no my bank account is rather small 800 is about all i have to spend
ya i wanted to add all 8 legs plus a tail and claws but thats about 40 servos and it would be pretty heavy even for the strong ax-12's he would have for legs.

Quantum
11-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Take peek on Lynxmotion's forum there was a user that was making the same thing he got pretty far with it as well. Not sure if he ever finished it thou.

Paul