PDA

View Full Version : Airsoft BB's

MSpurk
11-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Question some regarding the airsoft BB's.

I know they come in various weights with the heavier bb's flying truer, but are they all the same size? I bought some cheap bb's from Wally World, no idea how much they weigh (I imagine the lightest available), and they measure .233"

In paintball you have to chrono your gun before and after the match. Obviously, in this case higher ball speeds aren't important. Is there a way to "turn-up" the velocity on air-soft guns?

I know we have some airsoft players here, so I suspect they have more knowledge on the subject.

Thanks,
-Matt-
Cutting-Edge Robotics

jes1510
11-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Actually I have been curious about this as well. I have my guns and need to design the feed system. I also need to do some test fires.

Quantum
11-28-2008, 11:24 PM
I believe the only way to increase air-soft velocity is to change out the spring.

Adrenalynn
11-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Unless it's a green-gas gun - some of them can be dialed-up and down a bit.

The standard airsoft size is 6mm, but the quality of the ammo will dictate how closely it makes that mark and with what consistancy (and how "round" it really is).

Quantum
11-29-2008, 12:57 AM
Even if its a gas gun the the spring is what adjusts the velocity the same in paintball guns.

Adrenalynn
11-29-2008, 02:34 AM
Yes and no. Just like in paintball guns, you can adjust the tension against the spring leading to additional pressure in the chamber. The gas guns have the stored energy to overcome the additional tension - the electric guns don't tend* to have that power.

*I've seen some large spring and electric guns with velocity adjustment - but it's hyper-rare in my experience

Sienna
11-29-2008, 12:49 PM
I know they come in various weights with the heavier bb's flying truer, but are they all the same size?
Yes, plus or minus manufacturing tolerances. (Better the BB, smaller the tolerance.)

For the crap barrels that come on standard walmart toys (6.11mm is what I measured on my walmart gun), they will fire anything. Stock AEG barrels are typically 6.08mm, and "tightbore" barrels are 6.03mm to 6.01.

If you take a tightbore and precision BBs, and use those on your bot instead of the stock plastic or metal barrel, the gun will be more accurate, and you will gain a significant amount of speed. (Going from a 6.11 to a 6.03 you will probably add 25fps, simply because the air can't escape around the BB.)

I would recomend everyone get a long tightbore barrel (http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=31_55&products_id=2980) (500mm should give you enough to cut apart for multiple mechwarrior guns), and a bag of precision BBs (http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_44_191&products_id=2437) (5000 should last you a long time...).

I believe the only way to increase air-soft velocity is to change out the spring.
In a traditional AEG (motor, gears, piston, spring) yes, that is correct. In airsoft, you build the gear box and spring set to attain the velocity you want.