PDA

View Full Version : [Discussion] Where do you get your Aluminum

ooops
12-18-2008, 08:10 AM
Just curious as to the best source for Aluminum for projects. With all the talk about scroll saws, band saws, and milling machines, I have began wondering where everyone gets there Aluminum.

ScuD
12-18-2008, 09:10 AM
Scrapyard! Absolutely positively without a doubt the best source ever.

They tend to sort the scrap metal in piles of the same materials, although you're not sure of the exact alloy, you will be sure it's aluminum :happy:

At least, here in Belgium that's the best way to go. It's 90% (!!!) cheaper than going to the local home depot-variant and you can usually find stuff you wouldn't find in a shop (eg short sections of 1/2" thick plate)

Aluminum sheeting is a bit harder to find in the scrapyard though, but if you can scrounge around you should be able to find what you need, and then some.

ooops
12-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Scrap yards are such wonderful places:)

I pretty much get all I can carry from work (alum sheets), but I was wondering where everyone else shops.

gdubb2
12-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Recycle yard..Mostly 6061, buts thats what I like anyway.

Bullit
12-18-2008, 11:41 AM
I use these guys http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRAR?PMSECT=0000001916
Fairly inexpensive.

For bending we use 5052, for machining we use 6061.

billyzelsnack
12-20-2008, 01:04 PM
I recently ordered some 5052 sheets from use-enco. I used the code RFS25 to get free shipping on a $25 order ( valid until the end of the year. )

The order was shipped in two excessively large boxes ( only really needed to be one box ) and both were poorly packed. Two of the sheets were damaged quite a bit because of the poor packing. I sent them an email describing what happened. I didn't even ask for anything. I was just letting them know. They sent me a response back almost immediately saying they apologize and due to the low retail value of the shipment they were going to refund my credit card and I can just keep the metal.

Quite impressive customer service. I'll be ordering from them again.

robot maker
12-23-2008, 02:44 AM
i get mine from scrap yards since near my house and metalsdepot.com,sometimes if need fast homedepot or special pieces mcmaster.com,smallparts has some too

4mem8
12-24-2008, 04:16 AM
Being in the boating industry there are always scraps which i find useful for my projects.

Matt
12-25-2008, 03:32 PM
We have a pile of thicker plates in the back room we can garage sale if someone is interested. By thick I mean not bendable. Good for chassis on med to large bots. Email Andrew for details :)

DresnerRobotics
12-25-2008, 10:58 PM
We have a pile of thicker plates in the back room we can garage sale if someone is interested. By thick I mean not bendable. Good for chassis on med to large bots. Email Andrew for details :)

They're about quarter inch thick, I want to say 6061 aluminum by the look and feel of it. Honestly if anyone is looking for some we'll let them go for cheap ;)

darkback2
12-25-2008, 11:16 PM
Believe it or not the scrap yard near my house is almost out of the good stuff...Great...now I'm going to have to pay full price.

Hopefully they'll get more.

DB

Adrenalynn
12-26-2008, 01:17 AM
Length x Width? You have a message from me.

bobasan
12-27-2008, 10:17 PM
www.metalexpress.com