PDA

View Full Version : fun and simple modifications

javafiend
12-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Hi all,

My robot is a 2 servo, differential drive bot with scanning Sharp IR sensor. The brains are basically the $50 robot board from SoR (http://www.societyofrobots.com/step_by_step_robot_step3B.shtml) with some modifications.

My 3 and 5 year old daughters are enamored with Wall-E so I kinda want to do something that might "interact" with them. I have considered just adding a shell to it and moving the scanning IR into a "head" position. My creativity and initiative have been low lately so I figured some fun and simple upgrades/modifications might be the spark I need to get back on track.

Thanks!

jes1510
12-18-2008, 11:20 AM
If you are looking for cheap mods you can look at the really cheap bowls they sell at walmart. That might make a great little shell. Put the sensor forward and raise it up so that it can look around and you could have a cute little turtle to play with the girls.

javafiend
12-19-2008, 06:03 PM
I figured I should probably put up a "before" pic or just something to spark ideas...

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/5/8/8/img_4292.jpg

sunithaya
12-29-2008, 12:23 AM
I would probably use a soft rubber ball (Walmart), cut it in half or a third. Since it is soft rubber you can easily mold it around your shape, cut eyes or whatever else and even cover it with pink furry stuff from the fabric section or feathers etc. Or a combination of metallic paint and sequins to create a scarab.

jes1510
12-29-2008, 11:09 AM
I would probably use a soft rubber ball (Walmart), cut it in half or a third. Since it is soft rubber you can easily mold it around your shape, cut eyes or whatever else and even cover it with pink furry stuff from the fabric section or feathers etc. Or a combination of metallic paint and sequins to create a scarab.

I like that idea. The painting and stuff sounds like a fun project for the kids.

javafiend
12-30-2008, 09:01 AM
I agree, that is a really good suggestion. I think I might go with something a bit more rigid than the rubber ball, though, just to help it's survivability. I guess adding new behaviors to it should be something I should consider as well. Currently it just does obstacle avoidance.

Adrenalynn
12-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Wood and metal mixing bowls work great...

Consider the behaviors of interacting with people - sound, touch, body heat, etc. Those are the kinda things that make it seem more "pet-like". Look at Pleo for an extreme example...