PDA

View Full Version : 3 inch Linux Computer, sub $200

metaform3d
12-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Someone on another forum sent me this link. It's not of interest to me at the moment but since I didn't find any posts about it here I thought I'd pass the information on. Looks pretty swank if you want a 1-Watt Linux system (http://foxlx.acmesystems.it/?id=4) with all the bells and whistles.

LinuxGuy
12-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Someone on another forum sent me this link. It's not of interest to me at the moment but since I didn't find any posts about it here I thought I'd pass the information on. Looks pretty swank if you want a 1-Watt Linux system (http://foxlx.acmesystems.it/?id=4) with all the bells and whistles.
It's been awhile since I looked at this one. It's a nice small low power system, and with the XBee/MMC add-on board it could be a nice platform to work with swarm robotics and/or wireless sensor networks. Right now though, I am more interested in the BeagleBoard (http://www.beagleboard.org) because it has the capability to process video and audio right on board.

8-Dale

Adrenalynn
12-22-2008, 06:26 PM
The Axis boards go way back - I have a long and sordid history with them.

Here's one that's easily to hand from Circa 2000 ;)

robot maker
12-22-2008, 10:17 PM
look good but is it only linux only ,beagleboard

It's been awhile since I looked at this one. It's a nice small low power system, and with the XBee/MMC add-on board it could be a nice platform to work with swarm robotics and/or wireless sensor networks. Right now though, I am more interested in the BeagleBoard (http://www.beagleboard.org) because it has the capability to process video and audio right on board.

8-Dale

lnxfergy
12-22-2008, 10:31 PM
look good but is it only linux only ,beagleboard

I'd personally say that's a plus...

But in all seriousness - windows CE (or whatever the new name for embedded windows is) has been fairly overpriced and useless for a long time. Linux is the obvious choice of OS for non-real-time embedded systems. And the beagleboard is an embedded system (as opposed to say a Pico-ITX which simply a small PC)

-Fergs

Adrenalynn
12-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Actually, there's pretty good Linux-derived RTOS kernels out there too.

robot maker
12-22-2008, 11:10 PM
linux is a great software for robots but alot of open source software wont work with it and some devices, and not really user friendly like windows is
i have many linux programs that hope to add to my designs but still software is a problem that works with it
like sapi engine,opencv ,and real good AI software not HAL or ALICE i have a really good one but problems with it on linux
only thinking about it for web cam
but i guess sofar the best and easy to use with my design is SRV-1 backfin camera 500 mhz,also on another design (johnny five ) 2 500 mhz camera,s insteadf of camera hook up to that board maybe 300 mhz each if both on at same time

I'd personally say that's a plus...

But in all seriousness - windows CE (or whatever the new name for embedded windows is) has been fairly overpriced and useless for a long time. Linux is the obvious choice of OS for non-real-time embedded systems. And the beagleboard is an embedded system (as opposed to say a Pico-ITX which simply a small PC)

-Fergs

Adrenalynn
12-22-2008, 11:16 PM
OpenCV compiles and runs fine on Linux. Been doing it for many years.

SAPI is a cheap hack. CMU and others have MUCH better speech engines for... wait for it... Linux.

There's only one kind of AI - the neural network you train and implement task-specific from the ground up.

I guess that pretty well sums up the "linux problem"

robot maker
12-22-2008, 11:53 PM
well that some good news,adding some might be a problem (speech engine)
learning linux is maybe the hardest for me ,others maybe not so hard since they use it and then convert all c++ and other codes to it will be again supre hared besides the biggest AI,THE software its self does run on linux but the long code for AI is bigger problem besides the main board design for that software,others in the group of the person who made the AI says it very hard,but working on it,i think sapi was one,but still i love windows very easy to use ,most all software works for it,only linux is faster,so you get a faster itx board

OpenCV compiles and runs fine on Linux. Been doing it for many years.

SAPI is a cheap hack. CMU and others have MUCH better speech engines for... wait for it... Linux.

There's only one kind of AI - the neural network you train and implement task-specific from the ground up.

I guess that pretty well sums up the "linux problem"

jes1510
12-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Robot Maker if you want to give linux a try then download the Ubuntu live CD. Burn the image to a CD and boot off of that. It's a complete Linux package that will allow you to try it out without actually installing or changing anything on your system. If you don't want to do the download and burn then you can request them to send you a CD. It's free (as in beer).

http://www.ubuntu.com/

robot maker
12-23-2008, 12:25 AM
i have that one and thats the one they trying to port the code over too,main software not a problem works great with that software its the main lines of codes,and all the hex codes for main board that was design for that project,and there is many many many c++ codes foe each inputs ,sensors I/O,S ENCODERS and all of them,plus the exe programs that runs the board,many dll files its a major job,i know the person who knows linux very well is working on it says it hard it must be
you supplying free beer

Robot Maker if you want to give linux a try then download the Ubuntu live CD. Burn the image to a CD and boot off of that. It's a complete Linux package that will allow you to try it out without actually installing or changing anything on your system. If you don't want to do the download and burn then you can request them to send you a CD. It's free (as in beer).

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Adrenalynn
12-23-2008, 12:40 AM
>> and then convert all c++ and other codes to it will be again supre hared

You do, of course, realize that Linux is written in C and C++, right? And that the vast majority of hardcore apps are written in exactly the same C++, right? And that, in fact, Unix and C/C++ have gone together for as long as either has existed, right?

jes1510
12-23-2008, 01:21 AM

You do, of course, realize that Linux is written in C and C++, right? And that the vast majority of hardcore apps are written in exactly the same C++, right? And that, in fact, Unix and C/C++ have gone together for as long as either has existed, right?

True 'dat. In many cases simply compiling for (or on) the target system will work. If you're porting to linux then C is a good thing.

BTW the "Free as in beer" line means the discs are free as in no cost.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/free_as_in_beer

Adrenalynn
12-23-2008, 01:24 AM
OT, and I apologize, but I have a First Edition K&R here. Purchased in '80, I think, and I had it autographed at a show by both K and R...

robot maker
12-23-2008, 01:53 AM
i tried to convert one of the oap project based on linux to windows and they said it was hard,so other way aroung would be the same and with about 30 or more codes to change ,wow major changes,still i love my windows xp pro,but someday like to use both designs on same robot,just to have them

also dont see to many robot designs here in linux,i could be wrong .only one sofar is one by linuxguy

Adrenalynn
12-23-2008, 02:03 AM
Time to put the mod hat on:

This is growing way off topic, and I think this sidetrack is about beaten to death: This thread is about the Axis embedded Linux computer. Let's talk about the Axis embedded Linux computer specifically.

Thanks!

jes1510
12-23-2008, 02:43 AM
I like the fact that the XBee board also has an MMC slot. That really looks like it would make a pretty nice little off the shelf telemetry box. I'm not sure what's up with the USB 1.1 though. I assume that the root hubs are on the die. Is it a really old die?

Adrenalynn
12-23-2008, 02:51 AM
I suspect so. My 8+ year old board is an ETRAX 100. It has 1 USB 1.1 exposed to a header - but that's not to say there's not another on-die, I'd have to boot it to find out - probably could, haven't looked at it in years...

That said, there are chips on the bottom of my board that I haven't tried to cross-reference - they could be USB root hubs...

Ethernet is through a Broadcom chipset on mine, a BCM5201. My ETRAX100 has a single 52pin (26 dual) header on it. The specs aren't too far off though.

4mem8
12-24-2008, 04:10 AM
Man, I wish I had your Knowledge Adrenalynn, You are a walking encyclopaedia.

Adrenalynn
12-24-2008, 04:52 AM
When I was a kid, the other kids used to wield that statement like it was an insult or something. [shrug] Never bothered me. Encouraged me to read the Encyclopedia Britannica from cover to cover over a couple cold winters... ;)

4mem8
12-24-2008, 05:25 AM
Just out of curiosity Adrenalynn, do you have a photographic memory?

Adrenalynn
12-24-2008, 05:55 AM
I'm about as close to an "eidetiker" as it reasonably gets. Only I'm a little "strange" in that respect (and a lot of others ;) ) - I have a form of synesthesia related to it. My memory is largely keyed to sound and smell rather than pictures. The "pictures" come in response to [frequently synthesized] sound or smell. But this is rather very off-topic. ;) Sorry - probably (definitely) belongs in PM.

SteamBoat
12-29-2008, 08:06 PM
When I was a kid, the other kids used to wield that statement like it was an insult or something. [shrug] Never bothered me. Encouraged me to read the Encyclopedia Britannica from cover to cover over a couple cold winters... ;)

Must have been some damn long and cold winters.
Even for a 3 inch Linux Computer (does this count as staying on topic?)

MArk B.
Why did I call? Oh, I was walking past a german bakery and heard a truck backup. That combination always reminds me of you. :rolleyes:

Adrenalynn
12-29-2008, 11:11 PM
It's easy when you don't have the whole "friend thing" getting in the way. ;) I found that even for a 3" Linux Computer, it's easier to read from M to A, then from N to Z. Take some of the predictability out of it...