PDA

View Full Version : Wifi Camera?

Syko913
12-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Would a Wifi cam like the one used on the Rovio bout be able to be used on another robot?
I don't know anyone that has taken one of those apart before,But I want to use it on the Mech I'm going to start building.

jes1510
12-28-2008, 02:29 PM
This (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1932&page=19) thread has a ton of information about various cameras people are using. I don't think anyone is using a camera from a Rovio though. The last few pages o the thread talk about wifi cams. I will be using one on my mech.

Syko913
12-28-2008, 02:30 PM
I just thought it would be interesting to use the Rovio cam since you can stream online video.

DresnerRobotics
12-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Well you can essentially do that with any wifi cam.

Given that the Rovio runs about $300, you can drop $300 on a higher end, actual wifi camera and get a MUCH better picture quality and framerate. The Rovio's wifi camera is no better than the $100ish ones we've found so far.

Syko913
12-28-2008, 02:48 PM
Links to Wifi cameras ty? If you got msn let me know so we can talk more.

jes1510
12-28-2008, 02:48 PM
Tyberius speaks the truth. I'm streaming 640 x 480 video to Roborealm (thanks to Steven) via wifi using a sub $100 camera.

edit: Check out the link I posted above. There are several cameras there.

Adrenalynn
12-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Yeah, for $300-and-change you can get an "HD" web-cam from Axis...

DresnerRobotics
12-28-2008, 04:21 PM
Links to Wifi cameras ty? If you got msn let me know so we can talk more.

Only keep MSN on my work machine ;)

Yeah check the thread linked above, we've been listing cameras we find there.

Jes what kind of framerate and latency are you getting with that camera? Mine was about $100 and I can only get 320x240 to work decently.

gdubb2
12-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Tyb.. I have the Airlink too, the best I can do is 320X240 at 30 FPS with virtually no latency. I'm using Roborealm, and I have found that if I use the Joystick module, I only get about 16 FPS and a lot of latency. No Joystick.. no latency. This module seems to be my biggest slowdown.

Syko913
12-28-2008, 05:06 PM
as far as top of the line cams go,im not looking for that,jus a wifi cam,because im gonna use the psp as a access point so i can stream live video there and maybe try to use the psp as a remote too.

jes1510
12-28-2008, 06:12 PM
Only keep MSN on my work machine ;)

Yeah check the thread linked above, we've been listing cameras we find there.

Jes what kind of framerate and latency are you getting with that camera? Mine was about $100 and I can only get 320x240 to work decently.

Framerate is around 20FPS in Roborealm. Latency seems to be in the 200-300mS range but that is just a guess.

Rudolph
12-28-2008, 06:14 PM
If all you're after is a camera, you can do _way_ better than the camera in the Rovio, for half the price. Rovio's camera is pretty cheap, very low picture quality (especially in low light) and seems to be pretty well ingrained into the robot.

I enjoy mine, much more since I added a couple headlights to it. Pretty useless as a webcam though. Much more entertaining as a toy.

DresnerRobotics
12-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Framerate is around 20FPS in Roborealm. Latency seems to be in the 200-300mS range but that is just a guess.

Is it any better outside of Roborealm? Just as a straight video feed?

jes1510
12-28-2008, 08:14 PM
I haven't checked the framerate outside of RR but I shot a couple of videos for you. One shows the latency as best I can. The other shows a corner of my cluttered office and my lab assistant waiting for me. Youtubes compression makes the video look much crappier than it does in real life.

YouTube - 20081228194723
YouTube - 20081228194800

gdubb2
12-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Now that just blows the socks off anything my Airlink can do... Waaaaa

Shoulda..woulda..coulda...

Adrenalynn
12-28-2008, 09:42 PM
That's _excellent_ for a cheap webcam, Jes! Better than most security DVRs, in fact!

DresnerRobotics
12-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Yeah now I'm going to have to go buy one of those...

You said it was Trendnet brand? Model?

edit: nvm: found it, Amazon.com: TRENDnet Wireless Internet Camera Server (TV-IP110W): Electronics

Have you stripped it from the casing? I'm very curious to see the PCB dimensions and weight. Pictures if you do? :D

jes1510
12-28-2008, 10:29 PM
Yeah I'm going to have to tear it down in a day or 2 to prep it for mounting on the robot. I'll post pics and weights when I start. Is there anything else anyone would like to see about it?

billyzelsnack
12-29-2008, 02:11 AM
jes.. For some reason I thought you were running the same cam I had! That's definitely not the case after seeing your vids. Why do you suppose it gets such terrible ratings on amazon?

Adrenalynn
12-29-2008, 02:54 AM
I always have to read behind the ratings rather than just looking at the overall. I haven't looked at the ratings on that camera, but so frequently with this consumer stuff they're written by kids that should have a little bit more discipline and a little less Intarwebz Time.

Ever try to find a reasonable review of a cell-phone? Take a shot at it sometime. It's entertaining (for three femtoseconds)

jes1510
12-29-2008, 08:39 AM
I went through some of the negative reviews on Amazon and most of them dealt with problems connecting to wifi. Being in the design gig myself I went with the assumption that most end users are idiots and assume that most of those problems were user error.

For my end of it I read the manual before connecting the cam and followed it step by step to get it working on my network. It was a breeze and I had no problems whatsoever.

Adrenalynn
12-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Exactly my point, Jes. "We" shouldn't be plagued by the problems that most users have. I've found myself doing technical support on some of the review forums, and have to step away - because 90% don't have "real problems" with "the product"...

gdubb2
01-15-2009, 04:33 PM
:sad::sad::sad:
I've been trying for a while now to build a cable to separate the lens board from the main board on my Airlink AIC-250W camera. The connectors are 26 pin 1.27mm units. I got some male and female 30 pin connectors fram DigiKey to play with. The pin connectors were surface mount thingies, and the plugs were crimp ons.

To make a long story short.. I can't get there from here.. so I gave up. The crimp ons are so tiny it's like shoving a 28 ga. wire up a mosquito's butt and crimping it without damaging the bugs beak. The ones I had the best luck with were using 26 ga servo wire, but then the wire was to large for the connector shell. ( the 28 ga. wire I tried was to brittle)

After buying a new soldering station, I never did even try to solder a wire to the surface mount pins on the male connector. I figure my old tri-focaled eyeballs were a limiting factor, not to mention the caffeine. Oh well, if nothing else, I replaced by crappy soldering irons with a better one. It's still a Rat Shack, but really is a Madell AT201D.

Anyways.. my camera is back together and will be mounted to Bheka as a complete unit. It's really not very heavy and the servos can easily turn it.

Gary

jes1510
01-15-2009, 04:45 PM
I believe I found an off the shelf cable that will work with my Trendnet camera from Digikey. I'll probably order one tomorrow to play with.

Gdubb, what was the part number of the pins and connectors that you bought? I have a couple of crimp tools that may work it they're the right pins. If they'll work then I'll buy enough bits from Digikey to build you a cable.

gdubb2
01-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Hey jes,

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll just mount the whole thing as one piece. Thats one advantage of a quad.. balance isn't near as much of a problem as with a biped. I have a crimp tool that worked, but just dealing with the tiny components was a pain..

Having the camera in one piece kind of makes it more flexible in case it dies. About any make of camera that was the same basic shape could be used as a replacement.

Thanks again
Gary

jes1510
01-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Not a problem man. Good luck!