PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] Mechanical Structure of Biped

snow
12-30-2008, 12:14 AM
Hi, I am new in robotics, and I am going to do a biped for my final year project,
but I am stuck in how to calculate the mechanical structure:confused:, If someone heres know how to calculate, pls help me.... many many thanks...

lnxfergy
12-30-2008, 12:45 AM
"Calculate the mechanical structure"

I would suggest being more specific. To me, that could mean anything - are you trying to figure out how strong your servos need to be? If so, what is the load they are carrying, what is the configuration of the legs, torso, and arms, are you planning to use any kit parts or do you plan to chop this out of aluminum bar from HD?

-Fergs

Adrenalynn
12-30-2008, 01:33 AM
Or the strength/rigidity of the structure? Or the speed with which it will move? Or... ?

I agree with Fergs - a little more specific would help.

Welcome to the forum, BTW!

snow
12-30-2008, 10:28 AM
Thanks for reply.

I am not going to use any kit parts, actually my questions is.... the length,the width, of the foot and leg, to make it balance, it should have some calculation, right?

I am quite confuse now...maybe I should ask even I know is a stupid question... what is the first things should i do on building a robots?

Thanks a lot.

DresnerRobotics
12-30-2008, 10:53 AM
There isn't, as far as I know, some magic equation that calculates the exact dimensions you need.

Look at it this way: in nature there are plenty of various leg designs, all with different strengths, weaknesses, and purposes. Robotics isn't too far different in that many different designs can be used to accomplish the same goal (mobility) with varied strengths, weaknesses, etc.

If you're doing it from scratch, it would still be beneficial to study existing biped robot's leg design. Most humanoid robots have some consistency from bot to bot, but there are also some non-humanoid biped leg designs out there that work as well. Invention many times is building upon the work of others, so I would recommend researching all that you can about pre-existing bipedal robots, their walking gaits, leg designs, number of actuators, how they shift balance to walk, etc, and go from there.

darkback2
12-30-2008, 02:18 PM
Check out Robot Services group (http://www.robotservicesgroup.com/). They have a lot of reviews of excisting bipeds. Also check out Matt Bauer (http://www.bauerindependents.com/). He is considered one of the best scratch builders in the country...Also check out flame (http://www.3me.tudelft.nl/live/pagina.jsp?id=eaa90b08-229d-4382-a845-19f2581469a1&lang=en).

Also something to consider, as far as locomotion goes, going strieght to a biped as a project suggests to me atleast that you may be biting off quite a bit for a first project. (I really don't mean to sound preachy...but a biped is a pretty hard animal to get a hold of even when it is a kit.

Also are you looking to add anything new to the field? I again don't mean to sound condisending...more asking what your field of research is, and how building a biped will contribute to it. I guess that way I feel we might better stear you in the right direction.

DB