PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Bot [was: Need to Control a Ridiculous Amount of Servos?]

SteamBoat
12-30-2008, 06:30 PM
The mind wanders and sometimes it gets somewhere.

So, there are six strings on a guitar. Thirteen frets/notes in an octive. 6x13<84 Servos can be used to press strings. Six left to strum/pick.

I so wish I had more time.

MArk B.

Adrenalynn
12-30-2008, 06:38 PM
That's one way. Another is to run it like a CNC or printer. A head sliding on a bar, five solonoids (so you can fret), one to five actuators to pick/strum. Depends what style of music you want it to play.

SteamBoat
12-30-2008, 07:02 PM
I was thinking along those lines too but more than five solenoids. The goal would be to semi-replicate what a human hand could do. That means a span of up to six frets at one time. Could be realistic and stick to five. I can do a full bar chord and stretch the pinky up to the fifth fret up on the neck. (I think) That would take 6x5 or so. Then move this hand up and down the neck. Disadvantage would be it would have to compress as it moved up the neck but that's manageable.

Picking/strumming hand would be fun to do. Lots of things to try.

Bending strings would be neigh impossible with slides kind of tough.

OH! Don't forget the automatic tuner!

This guitar stufff belongs in another thread. For that matter, it belongs in a new forum called "Mental Masturbation". A place for things that it would be really cool to do but have little or no possibility of ever getting done (by me) because there are too many other cool things to do.

MArk B.
Did I tell you about the robot for climbing and trimming trees?

SteamBoat
12-30-2008, 07:07 PM
And I reply to myself.

Another way to do it AND use six solenoids would be to create a grid of six slides in a "hand". One over each string. The slides could span six frets or so. Each solenoid would get moved up and down the slides of the hand to form the chord. The hand would move up and down the neck depending on the root note for the chord.

MArk B.
Can I do it 'til I need glasses?

Adrenalynn
12-30-2008, 07:33 PM
And a new thread it shall have! :)

More after dinner... ;)

darkback2
12-30-2008, 11:59 PM
I remember seeing a thing for people who wanted to play the guitar. It fit over the neck, and it had a bunch of buttons on it. Pressing the bottons depressed plastic tabs on each of the strings for the chord that the bottons called for. All the player had to do then was play. Seams like you could rig up 8 servos to pull or push down on the bottons...then use six more to pluck the strings. You could also use another one to actually strum for strumming stuff.

Its called the EZ guitar or something like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE49-yDxf0Q
DB

ooops
12-31-2008, 12:32 PM
This guitar stufff belongs in another thread. For that matter, it belongs in a new forum called "Mental Masturbation".

So does that make Adrenalynn our DR. Ruth?

revoltage
01-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Would be an interesting project...I have a guitar but never really learn to play it...in fact waiting for college to end to get busy with it

SteamAutomaton
04-28-2009, 10:28 PM
The mind wanders and sometimes it gets somewhere.

So, there are six strings on a guitar. Thirteen frets/notes in an octive. 6x13<84 Servos can be used to press strings. Six left to strum/pick.

I so wish I had more time.

MArk B.
Dear Steam Boat:

I found this link you may be interested in. http://www.mechanicalmusicpress.com/history/articles/banjo.htm I think that might be the mechanism you are looking for.

From one steam nut to another ;),
Steam Automaton