PDA

View Full Version : [News/Announcement] Robogames '09

ooops
01-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Looks like they have removed the "tentative" from the tentative date on the website. I gather that means the dates are set. Sooooo, never to soon to start planning!

2009 Int'l Event

Dates:Fri-Sun, Jun 12-14, 2009Where: Fort Mason, San Francisco
Map & directions (http://robogames.net/directions.php)Cost: $20, $15/kids 7-17
Free for kids 0-5 and active-duty military
Buy tickets now! (http://robogames.net/buy.php)

Adrenalynn
01-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Stickied! Thanks, Ooops!

DresnerRobotics
01-09-2009, 05:30 PM
You know I'll be there. I think the TRC in general will have a pretty large presence there.

Alex said he's buying us all drinks too!

Adrenalynn
01-09-2009, 05:33 PM
We all workin' the booth again? That was pretty fun.

ooops
01-09-2009, 07:42 PM
How does it work bringing non-competition bots into Robogames? Obviously I will be sending/bringing Tramp. But is there a "protocol" to follow? Can you just drive any bot in the door?

jes1510
01-09-2009, 07:53 PM
I was also curious about how many people are we allowed to have on a "team" for mech wars. My brother, his wife, and my wife want to come along.

Adrenalynn
01-09-2009, 08:24 PM
I'll respond to Ooops and suggest you talk to Tyberius or Alex offline. Assuming Trossen will have a booth and everything is like last year, robots bearing the Trossen stickers are likely to have a prime view of the event courtesy of the Trossen Booth... I'm thinking our arm-controller 'bot will have to make an appearence just because it's looking too darned mean not to. By that time it's event should be over and I should be able to borrow it back and add autonomy and remote video...

Of course, not my place to make those statements, so talk to Tyberius or Alex.

gdubb2
01-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Hey jes..
No worries.. I'll most likely be solo, so there are as many spots on "Team Maggot" as I'm allowed..That is, if folks don't mind the maggot stigma. Bwaaahaahaa

I've been "Team Maggot" since Battlebots the spring of 2001.

Gary

robologist
01-10-2009, 12:24 AM
Was there many forum members here in some of the competitions from last year? What types were entered if so? What contests might be entered this year? Might be fun to build something for, if I could make it.

Adrenalynn
01-10-2009, 12:28 AM
Biped competitions, Art Bots, Bartending, as well as some community-built "display 'bots" in the Trossen booth.

It was fun meeting people and hanging-out

metaform3d
01-11-2009, 04:31 PM
RoboGames is all very casual, bordering on chaos. Robots off the street were welcome last time, and having more robots driving around adds to the festivities.

If you want to compete you have to register and pay some fees. I heartily recommend the art competitions since entering gets you a free pit pass. If you have a robot odds are good you can program it to draw or make music. A lot of other competitions cost around $35 which is still better than $55 for a three-day pass, and you get to explore the pits. "Best in Show" is a $35 category that lets you enter any bot at all.

If you are competing for the first time you should get some coaching from someone who has done your event before. This is important! There's very little in the way of central organization and no written instructions, schedules or other materials at the show itself. The only way to know what you need to be doing at any time is to talk to someone who has experience, and do it beforehand since once you're there everyone else will be too busy with their bot to hold your hand.

I did not see MechWars on the event list. Is that because it's only an exhibition game this year?

ooops
01-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Great advice!

DresnerRobotics
01-12-2009, 12:54 AM
Mech Warfare isnt on the list of events yet because David Calkins' little one just arrived and he's been quite busy to say the least.

I dont believe there will be a fee to participate though, as its year 1 launch.

Alex
01-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Looks like they have removed the "tentative" from the tentative date on the website. I gather that means the dates are set. Sooooo, never to soon to start planning!

2009 Int'l Event

Dates:Fri-Sun, Jun 12-14, 2009Where: Fort Mason, San Francisco
Map & directions (http://robogames.net/directions.php)Cost: $20, $15/kids 7-17
Free for kids 0-5 and active-duty military
Buy tickets now! (http://robogames.net/buy.php)

SWEEET! Thanks for the heads up ooops! Last year was a blast and I'm sure this year will be just as fun (and much bigger by the looks of it) :D

We haven't finalized our plans on what we're (TR) doing this year at RoboGames, but I'm sure it'll be some good times with all the TRC members who come out!

ooops
01-12-2009, 09:07 AM
We haven't finalized our plans on what we're (TR) doing this year at RoboGames, but I'm sure it'll be some good times with all the TRC members who come out!

Hopefully in your plans you are increasing the fuel (alcohol) budget:)

FryGuy
01-12-2009, 02:21 PM
From what I have heard, the contract has been signed, so the date is set. I'm going to be running the ant/beetle/flea event in all likelyhood, and maybe there will be a shooting gallery event as well. As for bots off of the street, I think they are allowed, but if you register, it ends up being cheaper. Keep in mind though, that registration is essentially free, as your table/chairs cost $35 to rent per team for the weekend (I think it's 1 6' table + 2 chairs = $35), so Mr Calkins doesn't make any money on your attendance.

The Mech Wars event will probably show up as soon as the registration is up.

MissySB
05-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Hey Trossen Robot Peeps, we're looking forward to haviung you come out to RoboGames! I noticed people had questons about non competing robots - go ahead and bring 'em, although we have a very nice Robot Open category which includes everything that does not fit anywhere else!

I also have an offer for you people still on the fence about RoboGames:

So, here's the deal: RoboGames usually has a very limited number of laminated-gold, all access, food and beer heaven passes for $750.

Pricey, yes, but they are in demand. With each ticket you get tours of the combat pit and other off-limits areas of RoboGames, up close and personals with robot builders and drivers, tickets to the Friday night private sponsors and builders party, the best seats in the house for the events you want to see, and free food and drink the whole weekend.

The kicker: You don't necessarily have to pay 750 bucks.

For this upcoming week, you have your chance to score a family 4-pack of these tickets on Ebay, for whatever price you can snipe, beg, negotiate, or strategize. Bidding starts at a measly $100 or the whole 4-pack.

This offer is only being made public to the Trossen Community and the RoboGames twitter stream, so get in on the bidding now to secure your spots!

Click on this cutely shortened URL and let the clawing and elbowing begin!: [Mod Note: The Cutely Shortened URL Resolutely Laughed At The Clever MissySB Evilly. But you can click this link to get there. -A] (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=130306739389)

MissySB
05-18-2009, 11:15 PM
This is important! There's very little in the way of central organization and no written instructions, schedules or other materials at the show itself. The only way to know what you need to be doing at any time is to talk to someone who has experience, and do it beforehand since once you're there everyone else will be too busy with their bot to hold your hand.

This is very good advice. We are going to have more paper programs available this year, but you can find the complete schedule and rules for all events here on the events page: http://robogames.net/events.php

Adrenalynn
05-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Moderator's Note: I edited MissySB's post to get a working link to the ticket auction. You can now follow it.

darkback2
05-19-2009, 10:11 PM
so I believe the limit on a team is 2 or 3...not sure which...but the reason for that was to avoid having teams enter something like static artbots and have 20 member teams....which has happened in the past...There was a kid there with his dad last year in artbots drawing...but they had to pay for a ticket to get his mom through the door...

Another thought...is if your going to have a huge team...I now times are tough...but you may want to have people that aren't "real" team members make a small donation just because they do seam to be hurting for money...I know the event is usually relatively well attended, but I'm also sure things like t-shirt and food sales will probably be down this year also...Then again if they are already sponsering you then?!

I don't know though.

DB