PDA

View Full Version : Unusual tools, or can you be friends with your dentist?

sunithaya
01-11-2009, 11:31 PM
I thought it might be interesting to have a thread about tools that defy any formal category and that could be useful to find out about them, where and how to get them, what new uses people have found for them etc.

Here is my first contribution, and why I am friends with my dentist, as much as I hate paying him a visit! (and a bill!!!) LOL!

Every time I do however, I remind him that I do sculpture, miniature work, electronics etc and tell him that the best tools for this are the ones he uses for torturing his fellow humans.

Usually, as soon as one of the dentist's tools get slightly worn they must be replaced, and they normally get discarded. What a waste! they are perfect for so many uses, from disassembling electronics to getting the stubborn hazelnut chip stuck in your back molars.

They are made of the very best and hardest steel and they come in so many shapes that you WILL find the right one for your need.

Here is a picture of some of mine:

They also have the best spatulas for adhesive mixing not to mention very exotic mixtures (ask him/her for left-overs, assure her it is not to fix your brother's teeth, those adhesives are absolutely awesome, specially for small repairs). As an interesting anecdote, I once went to a store that sold dentist tools and I was actually denied the right to buy any of them, even after explaining what I wanted them for, they demanded to see a "license". After getting quite angry and mentioning that I did not need a license to buy a weapon at Walmart they still refused to sell me the tools and mentioned that I could use them for torture, really!

ĈON
01-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Years ago, I worked as a sterile processing technician at a local hospital. As a result, I got my hands on a lot of nifty instruments and devices. I have a nice collection of various clamps and forceps, as well as laproscopic instruments that are great for delicate maneuvers in hard-to-reach places.

SteamBoat
01-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Years ago, I worked as a sterile processing technician at a local hospital. As a result, I got my hands on a lot of nifty instruments and devices. I have a nice collection of various clamps and forceps, as well as laproscopic instruments that are great for delicate maneuvers in hard-to-reach places.

And you would never use those for torture. Right?

MArk B.

ĈON
01-16-2009, 10:37 PM
:veryhappy:

...only to torture toys, of course.

Adrenalynn
01-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Sometimes recalcitrant robots need a little waterboarding. Or so I've always found. Mainly 'cause they don't have fingernails (generally)