PDA

View Full Version : Software question.

Quantum
01-12-2009, 03:34 PM
I have never written any software for the PC. At least nothing that I currently have in mind.

I want to write an application that would simulate a gait program and where you can edit and see the results on your computer.

I have seen similiar programs done one recently about a biped on lynxmotion site.

My question, is Visual Basic 2008 the way to go or is there something else out there.

Paul

Adrenalynn
01-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Personally, I'd suggest doing it in C#. I think you'll be happier long-term, given the organization of the languages. If you have more experience on MCs, then you'll come up faster in C# too since it smells a lot more like C99 and C++ than the mess that is VB.

Quantum
01-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Its been awhile since I wrote anything in C.

Does any one have any good book recomendations.

jes1510
01-14-2009, 10:52 AM
"The Absolute Beginner's Guide to C" is pretty good. You can find it at your local Borders I think. Pick one up in the store and leaf through it. Preference for these types of books varies from person to person. Browse the shelves and buy one that fits the style that you can understand better.

Adrenalynn
01-14-2009, 03:15 PM
I'd suggest considering C# in this instance, unless you're going to microcontrollers. On the PC side it's pretty light-weight compared to many languages, but has a lot of library (thanks to Microsoft) to handle the pretty stuff. If you want effectively drag-and-drop interface you'll be needing to bump your head on the C++ learning-curve instead of C, practically. C# address that with Visual Studio Express (free for non-commercial). A fun C# book is "Practical .NET 2.0 Networking Projects" Some fun learning projects in there, and it helped bring me up to speed. Then a really good desk reference is "Pro C# 2008 and the .Net 2008 Platform" The first is a kind of "cookbook" which I learn well from, the second is a straight-up hard-core reference book.