PDA

View Full Version : Started

Plagueous Noir
01-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Hi gang.

Well; the bug has bit, and I have started construction on my future mech. So excited that I had to post this. :happy:

I went and bought, "Robot Builder's Bonanza", and will get the one that was similarly titled (I think it was microcontroller builder's bonanza or something, a little later after this read.

I have to save up for the things I can't make (servos (lots), controllers, other electronic bits that I don't know how to use yet), but the things I can make, I have started today.
I layed up the carbon fiber plate, that will be used to bolt together the lower torso of me mech.
This assembly will secure the first two servos for the legs, and the 360* servo for torso rotation.
After this assembly is built, I will make the upper torso plugs / molds / parts, then save and purchase the leg servos, and lay-up their brackets after that. (cant wait to make feet).

I don't know how long this build will take, But I want to do a step by step of it's construction.

A question about feet. Anyone make feet that look like the one's on "Mad dog" / "Timberwolf"?
Will feet like that give stability problems, because of the tri-contact patch they give (one at the rear)? Is this something I just will have to try out to actually see if it works?

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, just excited that's all.

jes1510
01-12-2009, 03:41 PM
I believe 4mem8 was building a tri-toed mech modeled after ED-209. Do a search here in the forums and you should find it. His work is outstanding.

Good luck with the mech! Are you planning on competing in the upcoming Mech Warfare?

gdubb2
01-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Things like feet are one of those constantly evolving parts of a robot...well...actually the whole thing will be in a constant state of change, upgrades, downgrades etc. you will wake up in the middle of the night with a whole new idea for some part of it, and that will change something else, which makes yesterdays feet obsolete..

I've tried aluminum plates, soft rubber, hard rubber, and now have UHMW feet on Bheka.

Have fun...
Gary

Adrenalynn
01-12-2009, 03:59 PM
My suggestion, is to spend the least amount of time on the hardware that is practical. Don't underestimate the amount of time it's going to take you to get a working control system going! This event, imho, is going to be made and killed by the programming and your control system. The programming is brutal.

DresnerRobotics
01-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Good to see your excitemen!

Likewise I'm getting in the final parts from Robotis and sending off my brackets to get milled in the next few weeks so I'm pretty excited myself. I'm building based on the Vulture/Mad Dog, and likewise using a 3 toe design. The two front toes are going to be pretty widely spread, and the rear toe will be somewhat wide in hopes that will provide more than enough stability.

What servos do you plan on using?

Plagueous Noir
01-12-2009, 07:34 PM
I can say I not going to make the mech battle. To much jobs for my work, and no way will I have the mech working for then. I probably will have it built, but I have to learn about programming and all that sort of stuff.

I know what ya's mean about all of a sudden thoughts. I just started carving the upper-torso plug, out of pinkfoam. I'll see how far I can get it, in between other non-related builds. Got to get the customer's stuff out and use my available time to build their stuff.

The superstructure and hardware is easy to me, and I know that the real work will take forever. But, I'm not going anywhere. All in good time.

I want to use the hitech (rhymes wid mech) :rolleyes:, 8498 servos for the legs , and I'll likely make a 360 rotater out of some spare servos in the tool box. For arm control (basically just tilt for gun arms), again I'll probably use toolbox servo spares. We'll see. I plan on making the whole structure very light (very strong aswell), so those torque rating should suffice. We'll see,

DresnerRobotics
01-12-2009, 10:11 PM
There is always next year as well ;)

I would suggest checking out the AX-12s if youre on a budget, bang for buck they're about the best deal out there for high torque servos.

Plagueous Noir
01-13-2009, 09:28 AM
Just checked those servos out. They are nice. They're now my choice. at the moment.

Thanx.

Plagueous Noir
01-13-2009, 09:32 AM
Just wondering, I have a cheap nexxtech webcam/mic. It came with my laptop, and I never use it. I dissassembled it this morning.

Could the insides be used for an alright set of eyes / ears? (providing I knew how to do the programming jiggery-pokery).

jes1510
01-13-2009, 09:40 AM
Just wondering, I have a cheap nexxtech webcam/mic. It came with my laptop, and I never use it. I dissassembled it this morning.

Could the insides be used for an alright set of eyes / ears? (providing I knew how to do the programming jiggery-pokery).

It depends. The web cam you have probably connects via USB. That means that it needs to connect to a computer that can act as the USB host with a cable. That means that you have to have either a computer or really big microcontroller physically on your mech. Nearly everyone will be using wireless wi-fi cameras so that the bulk of the electronics (the big stuff) can be handled on the laptop side.

The programming/jiggery pokery gets waaaaay more complicated if you are using a micro controller on the mech to talk to a USB cam. It can be done but I don't suggest it for someone new.

Plagueous Noir
01-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Hmmm.

Just noticed that those ax12's torque is rated @ 10volts. What is it @ 6v?

I really liked my first choice, because they are around the same price, torque is descent, and the bracket-mounting parts on the cases would suit simple construction methods.
Although the ax's come with brackets (injected molded styrene looks like). I guess they should be more that strong enough. I just have a problem trusting other plastics that are not my own concoction. (Ie. fiber-reinforced / property-altering powders in the marix).

More pondering to keep me up. :confused:

Adrenalynn
01-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Don't run them at 6v. Run 'em at 12v. They're *really* happy campers at 12v.

The brackets are more than capable of handling anything that wouldn't destroy the servos.

DresnerRobotics
01-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Definitely run them at 12v, Im not even sure they'll run at 6v.

The Bioloid brackets are fiber reinforced, and are more than sturdy enough for anything the AX-12s could handle. I'm a big yeti of a man, and would be hard pressed to break one with my bare hands.

Plagueous Noir
01-14-2009, 06:22 AM
Thanx for the advice gang. It's those little tidbits of info that make joining a new community worth while. I hope in the future ( as I learn more), I can "add to the whole" as well.

:happy:

MSK Mech Commander
01-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Wait, so you can put more voltage in the servos than what it recommends, or is that just my misunderstanding?:confused:

DresnerRobotics
01-15-2009, 09:57 AM
No, 12v is within the normal voltage range of the AX-12s. Standard servos usually run at 6v, some at 7.2v. The AX-12s are 'next-gen' servos that operate quite differently from standard servos in that they have an onboard microcontroller and communicate via serial TTL, and also use a motor rated for 12v.

Adrenalynn
01-15-2009, 12:16 PM
I'll probably crank mine down a little bit. The specs in the manual say 7~10v (9.6 recommended). I'm sure they'll continue doing just fine at 12v, I just don't care to push electronics too hard, so I'll probably take mine down to 9.6v - that's an easy battery number anyway.

DresnerRobotics
01-15-2009, 01:17 PM
I'll probably crank mine down a little bit. The specs in the manual say 7~10v (9.6 recommended). I'm sure they'll continue doing just fine at 12v, I just don't care to push electronics too hard, so I'll probably take mine down to 9.6v - that's an easy battery number anyway.

They're notorious for having incorrect voltage specs on their servos. Their product pages wont match their spec sheets, which dont match the manuals, etc.

The power supply that comes with the Bioloid reads about 12.34v running through the servo lines, and that is the stock offering, so they're more than fine running at 12v. I've read somewhere they run at up to 14v, but I wouldn't recommend anything over 12 just to play it safe.

Adrenalynn
01-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Anyone know what motor is actually in 'em?

elios
01-15-2009, 02:24 PM
a one that spins....? ;)

DresnerRobotics
01-15-2009, 03:11 PM
I know the RX series uses some model of Swiss Maxon motors, but I'm not entirely sure whats in the AX.

Adrenalynn
01-15-2009, 03:27 PM
elios>> a one that spins....?

Thank you Captain Obvious. ;)

Plagueous Noir
01-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Up late studying again.

I've come to the conclusion that, since I'm probably going to get the AX-12 actuators, plus some other electronics bits, that the bill will be around a grand.

Couple that with the fact, that the one Bioloid kit is around a grand, and I'm a unknowledged "noob", I may as well just get the Bioloid kit.

I can always concoct all sorts of Mech-type chassis for the hardware at anytime.

So that'sa whada I'ma goinna do.

Now just to liquidate some non-working assets, and git me a bioloid kit.

I read somewhere that there is a new one coming out. I guess I should wait....?

Adrenalynn
01-15-2009, 03:52 PM
I wouldn't wait. No promises on when it's going to come that I've seen, and the changes that I've seen to the design [at robogames] are not anything that make me jump up and down with excitement.

DresnerRobotics
01-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Yar, nothing ground breaking. Some prettier aesthetics if you're building the humanoid model, and a separated LiPo battery pack, which you should probably do custom for a mech anyway.

For Mech Warfare purposes, the new kit really doesn't do a thing.

Up late studying again.

I've come to the conclusion that, since I'm probably going to get the AX-12 actuators, plus some other electronics bits, that the bill will be around a grand.

Couple that with the fact, that the one Bioloid kit is around a grand, and I'm a unknowledged "noob", I may as well just get the Bioloid kit.

I can always concoct all sorts of Mech-type chassis for the hardware at anytime.

So that'sa whada I'ma goinna do.

Now just to liquidate some non-working assets, and git me a bioloid kit.

I read somewhere that there is a new one coming out. I guess I should wait....?

MSK Mech Commander
01-16-2009, 11:44 AM
They're notorious for having incorrect voltage specs on their servos. Their product pages wont match their spec sheets, which dont match the manuals, etc.

The power supply that comes with the Bioloid reads about 12.34v running through the servo lines, and that is the stock offering, so they're more than fine running at 12v. I've read somewhere they run at up to 14v, but I wouldn't recommend anything over 12 just to play it safe.

No, 12v is within the normal voltage range of the AX-12s. Standard servos usually run at 6v, some at 7.2v. The AX-12s are 'next-gen' servos that operate quite differently from standard servos in that they have an onboard microcontroller and communicate via serial TTL, and also use a motor rated for 12v.

Ok, cool. Thanks for the info.:) But how do you increase voltage, is it in the mechanical design or is it in the programming?:confused:

DresnerRobotics
01-16-2009, 12:19 PM
You give it bigger batteries :p

MSK Mech Commander
01-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Ahh the simplicity. Thanks.:)

Ironman
01-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Do the ax-12+ have a "free rotate" setting?

DresnerRobotics
01-22-2009, 02:25 PM
You can disable their torque, physically pose them, re-enable it and read the position. It's called "Pose and Play" "Catch & Play" "Motion Capture" etc. The stock software makes it pretty easy to do this, and its primarily how people create motions for their bioloids.

Ironman
01-22-2009, 03:07 PM
so to answer my question.... yes they do have a free rotation ability.

DresnerRobotics
01-22-2009, 04:03 PM
so to answer my question.... yes they do have a free rotation ability.

Wasn't sure if thats what you meant by it :p