PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] Rover Money $$$$ ?

Moonbase.inc
01-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Do you have the skills to build a quality rover ??? The New York city area team of the Google Lunar Xprize ,is seeking robot builders that can build a rover that can withstand the harsh lunar environment and transmit video back to earth. If you feel that you or your firm have the skills and expertise and time to do this, then send a contact message to us with your info and price. Serious inquiries only.

Adrenalynn
01-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Hi There, welcome to the forum!

I've moved this over to "Project Requests", but I left a permanent redirect to this post in Rovers.

Any further information you can provide? Generally anything that's going to "fly" will have weight/size constraints, time constraints, clean design constraints... I'd like to see some more info on it myself. (I've flown birds in the past and have been on GC teams for flown birds, from that experience with our satellites the constraints were enormous.)

Moonbase.inc
01-14-2009, 02:57 PM
The specs for the rover are 2 1/2 ft long by 1 ft wide, Light weight metal capable of handling temperture issues of 250 + or 250 - 0 ,wheeled , solar powered with a long life, lightweight rechargeable battery, gripper arm,exterior lights and an excellent vision system w/long range zoom, shielded drive motors for charged particle protection , degassed , multi speed capability ( fast/slow), Downlink connectivity of 3.7- 4.2 gigahertz and capable of transmitting a consistant ,powerful clear video signal , star power distribution? good motor driver chips, 0 electrical noise, Autonomous or teleoperated , capable of withstanding an environmental oven, Low cost, Low cost ,Low Cost and anything we forgot or just don't know.Basically what we need is a rover that can survive the lunar night and still function,we had a robot builder from Bangalore india but he crapped out on us and decided to do his own lunar project. ( Hello Doctor Venki ! ) Since we do not have the time to build one due to the enormity of the project we are seeking someone or firm to build it for us.

elios
01-14-2009, 04:51 PM
more info please. Who is paying for this robot? what are the budget constraints. i might be interested.

DresnerRobotics
01-14-2009, 05:21 PM
more info please. Who is paying for this robot? what are the budget constraints. i might be interested.

I think you might want to look into what sort of experience is required for a project like this, no offense. Stuff like this requires a very solid background in... stuff like this. College degrees, years of research, etc.

There is a huge gap between hobby robotics and research/industrial robotics, which is pretty much what this falls under. I've been building bots for a dozen or more years, and wouldn't even attempt a project like this without a (minumum of) Masters degree in a related field.

Likewise, sensitive subjects such as project budgets and funding aren't usually discussed on an open forum, those sort of things are usually kept under wraps.

Adrenalynn
01-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Dear Moonbase Team,

Thank you for the clarifications - that's helpful. Let's talk time constraints, since you're already down the road with one builder. Deliverable I assume is a functional environmental prototype + BOM & Plans. What is your drop-dead for the final deliverable?

To be clear, I doubt I have the time these days to explore your requirements myself (sigh - wish I did!) - I'm just trying to build the project plan here so that those interested will know what they're getting into.

Elios - as was spec'd, you specify the budget. You do realize we're talking about vacuum of space, -200C -> +130C operating temp range, clean-room environment, nitrogen-evacuated parts, etc - right? If there's an oopsie, it's not like you can just bop out and fix it. Before you think about commiting to something like this, you need to appreciate the enormity of the project. Do you know how to build a motor controller that you can drop in boiling water and have it run happily? How to shield it against cosmic radiation [there's no atmosphere to protect it]? You know what happens when you send RAM and ROM into space, right? You need to. Not to be discouraging but think before you leap on something like this. Building an off-planet rover is not like building toy robots. It's about as different as you can imagine. [Note: I've been on space vehicle teams, but I haven't built a rover either, only birds]

elios
01-14-2009, 06:15 PM

being interested doesnt mean that i will be in the team. i meant to say that i was interested in what was going to happen with this; as i have been reading up on these google challenges etc and i think its pretty cool.

We went through the design process at school of a mars rover. it was quite challenging.

Anyway, my physics teacher - Dr Des Duthie - help some students design a mars base. There are thousands of calulations that they did... and it was quite impressive. i think that the outcome was that they won a scholarship to cambrige university - [edit] all expenses paid? they covered the problems of radiation, power, oxygen etc, they developed a self sustaining facility. They had even budgeted it.

Don't forget - The Hon. Lord Ernest Rutherford went to my school.

Adrenalynn
01-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Now if only they had lunar rovers before 1937, he'd have made incredible contributions, I'm sure. ;)

elios
01-14-2009, 06:34 PM
lol. But my dads best mate would help alot. not giving any names... but he was something like the head engineer or something on the Star Wars Project at Raedon or whateva it is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Defense_Initiative

Moonbase.inc
01-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Elios- thank you for your interest. We are seeking a rover that is capable of withstanding the harsh lunar environment- we realize that these do not come cheap-however - we are seeking a person or firm , that would be willing to contribute the rover to the project in exchange for share of the projects profits or .....a "basic rover" for cheap. Perhaps you best mate would be willing to provide a rover in exchange for a sponsorship deal for his firm ? ask him ! - all we know that is if the right person or firm with the skills to build a sturdy and capable rover, and works out an equitable deal- they will make out like a bandit. We are also seeking to have built- an optical telescope , A titanium chess board w/ 2 robotic arms , a lasers and mirrors package and several other sponsor oriented devices-perhaps a video/audio ipod type device- using our existing connections -we are having a fund raiser very soon-what we need to know is how much ? so we know how much to ask for- NYC area team of the GLXP

Quantum
01-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Thats a $20 million prize right?
My guess you would probably spend twice that easily. Then need more.

Chips and processors are going to run in the thousands each alone.

Paul

elios
01-15-2009, 11:28 PM
okay, well he is retired now and is travelling the world on his yacht. i dont think he'll be that interested - if i can make contact with him ;)

Adrenalynn
01-19-2009, 01:33 AM
Moved the Speculation to Here (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=2816) to free-up the recruitment thread.