PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a rookie?

MSK Mech Commander
01-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Hey, I'm new to the TRC. Any advice for building a mech?
I'm planning on using the Bioloid kit for starters. I still haven't decided between the cameras on the mech resources page. I'd like to know differences and advantages.
Also, I'm very new to the whole robotics thing and I don't have that much cash to spare on extra parts.
On another note, I'm planning on going to the 2010 competition. It seems I caught wind of this just a little bit too late to get ready for the first year.
If you know of any texts that can give me a good overview of humanoids or you have good advice yourself, please let me know!:D

Adrenalynn
01-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Naw, you can build it in time!

I won't really get started on mine until March. Bits and pieces next month, but in March I'll be able to focus on it.

DresnerRobotics
01-12-2009, 09:47 PM
I honestly haven't updated the parts list in quite some while, so I'd recommend reading through some of the threads in the Mech Warfare forums and looking at the discussions on guns and cameras, specifically the wireless video thread (on my netbook in the airport, so im not going to hunt it down right now :P ) I think Jes had the winner as far as the best camera for the money, was a Trendnet 110 I believe.

As far as rookie advice... programming, programming, programming. Find a language youre comfortable with and will work with your robot's hardware and learn it as best you can. The stock bioloid software most likely will not cut it for this competition.

MSK Mech Commander
01-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks!:D
Oh, by the way,
I've had some experience with PBASIC programming and the boe-bot.
Do you think that would be a good one?

What's different about the guns? I've seen some references about other guns but all i've seen is the VsTank guns from the parts link

Adrenalynn
01-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Well, the boe-bot is kinda right-out. No wheels allowed. :)

DresnerRobotics
01-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Im pretty sure I've seen a basic micro out there that interfaces to the bioloid bus actually, I think I saw the link on Crust Crawlers site. Certainly could control the bioloid bus with anything that has a spare UART for TTL though.

MSK Mech Commander
01-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Yeah, I thought that might work, thanks.
Adrenalynn: I was just sayin' I had some previous experience with the boe-bot. If I used a wheeled configuration I'd be totally killing the spirit of the game.

darkback2
01-13-2009, 12:44 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Its sort of funny how many people say they don't have much money for robotics on this website...soon enough you will have the bug. You don't know how often I tell my wife that I just need this one thing...really!

As for guns, I got mine from walmart...I know it won't be as accurate as some of the others...probably won't shoot as fast either...but I also didn't have to cut the barrel out myself on the lathe.

I know you can get them cheep from other sources. Walmart just gave me the ability to see what I was getting before I got it.

As for cameras, I think the general consensus is to use wifi cameras. all the other ones are either too heavy or too crappy or both.

You totally have enough time to get something built. Programmed is another issue...but built...definitely.

Perhaps if you ask nicely other people will share their code with you. I would share mine, but I have a quad, and she runs on an ssc-32.

Good Luck.

Chef Omega.

DresnerRobotics
01-13-2009, 01:51 AM
All hail Chef Omega! :D

Good advice all around.

Adrenalynn
01-13-2009, 02:44 AM
Heya, Chef! What's cookin'?

Zacattack
03-12-2009, 07:04 PM
hey, look on the lyncsmotion sight at their bipeds, good starting platform, im going to use one of them when i get started

lnxfergy
03-12-2009, 07:57 PM
I would really say, that for a beginner, there is a good argument to be made for starting with a bioloid kit.

-Fergs

DresnerRobotics
03-12-2009, 08:15 PM
My only issue with the bioloid kit for a beginner is that a solid wireless control scheme hasn't been nailed down yet. At least not anything with fine control.

Whenever I recommend it I make sure to state something along the lines of: "Control solution would be up to you."

Omegaspecter
03-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Assuming The Bioliod kit is reommended would you suggest starting at the Comprehensive Kit or the beginner kit? I realize the beginner kit seems pretty part and servo shy. But is it a good enough place to start if you need between 6-18 severos, also taking into account you have the $99 frame kit? I am thinking the mech units will not require as many upper body sevro' due to not really needing arms, just a turret or a cannon.

Rudolph
03-14-2009, 01:48 PM
The beginner kit has 4 servos. If you need between 6-18 that's pretty shy.

MSK Mech Commander
08-06-2009, 11:24 AM
OK, new set of questions. Now that the first Mech-Warfare is over, I've heard that when the turret, camera, and guns are added to the frame, it almost becomes immobilized.
Here's what I've been thinking about:

Now that hexapods are allowed, I've been looking at the CH3-R and the Phoenix. I like the Phoenix because of it's speed. Do you think that if I use the Phoenix Comprehensive Kit from Lynxmotion, It'll be able to carry all that stuff?
If in fact I can't carry all that stuff, would some AX-12s fit on the Phoenix frame?
If the AX-12s DON'T fit on the Phoenix frame, should I go back to; the CH3-R w/ upgraded servos, or the Bioloid?
Also, is Toyeast the only place to get the tank guns, or is there another place to get them?

Adrenalynn
08-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Well, I can say re: #2 - no, the AX-12's are a totally different format. and #4 - Mato Toys also has tank guns, such as here: http://matomart.com/prodview.php?p=458

lnxfergy
08-06-2009, 12:26 PM
As to #1, all depends on which servos are used. I'm not sure exactly what a comfortable payload for the pheonix is with each type of servos. I'd suggest checking the Lynxmotion forums, or dropping Jim over at Lynxmotion an email if he hasn't posted such specs. The reality is, the max payload is always gonna be more than a "comfortable level" of payload. Since a mech has to run for 12-15 minutes, you want to make sure that it won't overheat from overload.

As to #2, not without SERIOUS modification, but someone has done it: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=2198 You'll also have to recreate the Pheonix code on something else, or come up with a way for the Basic ATOM to communicate with AX-12s.

As to #3, it's mostly personal opinion. The Bioloid/AX-12s don't currently have a "plug and play" hexapod like the Phoenix/CHR-3 is. More work will be entailed with a Bioloid solution -- but, the work is easier if you later want to expand what the system does (since you can do pose&capture, etc). Either solution will likely work in the end.

-Fergs

darkback2
08-06-2009, 12:55 PM
I believe zenta posted a video of his phoenix carrying 2 KG...Check through the original project thread.

I think the major problem is that you are carrying the load on the servo horn directly...This might cause problems over time with the servo.

DB

nagmier
08-06-2009, 01:35 PM
As to #3, it's mostly personal opinion. The Bioloid/AX-12s don't currently have a "plug and play" hexapod like the Phoenix/CHR-3 is. More work will be entailed with a Bioloid solution -- but, the work is easier if you later want to expand what the system does (since you can do pose&capture, etc). Either solution will likely work in the end.

-Fergs

I'm not a bioloid owner but from what I have seen the comp kit has the "King Spider" config thats a 6 legged design as for payload I have no clue tho so that may still not be an option.

darkback2
08-06-2009, 01:45 PM
A final note to consider as for the bioloid kit...

I've been working on a way to get the bioloid CM-5 to be controlled over xbee and mostly have that figured out..I just need to actually get my hands on the chip I purchased and confirm that things work. It is not a direct plug in solution.

Also, I can currently use the motion editor to make gates, and have my robot walk around, but that comes at the cost of direct control of the servos for the pan/tilt turret. Or.. I can control each servo independently...but then I am depending on all of the directions for each part of the gate getting to the cm-5...which given past experience might be problematic. So...

With the cm-5 you may need to use a separate controller for your gun. I'm not certain of this, but I'm becoming more and and more convinced.

DB

MSK Mech Commander
08-06-2009, 02:56 PM
...I think the major problem is that you are carrying the load on the servo horn directly...This might cause problems over time with the servo.
DB

Would that prove to be a problem if I carried 1kg on it? The max is 2.2kg (also termed, 'robot abuse').

lnxfergy
08-06-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm not a bioloid owner but from what I have seen the comp kit has the "King Spider" config thats a 6 legged design as for payload I have no clue tho so that may still not be an option.

Yes, but the CM-5 is fairly unable to do anything except control the bioloid servos themselves. This makes adding a gun/etc complex -- since you'd have to create an interface board for your gun to connect to the dynamixel bus, or you have to replace the CM-5

-Fergs

nagmier
08-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Ahhh Ok I see your point. I had always considered replacing the cm-5 as part of the initial purchase :D

lnxfergy
08-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Ahhh Ok I see your point. I had always considered replacing the cm-5 as part of the initial purchase :D

Replace with what though? I think that becomes the issue frequently.

-Fergs

nagmier
08-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Yes certainly not going to be the first thought for a beginner, you absolutely correct.

[OT] I have considered using several diff controllers though never settled on one as I really can't afford the system at this point as I have dedicated resources to getting my ROV autonomous but that is another discussion.