View Full Version : [Question(s)] Grounding Strap - whatcha call it?

01-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Back in the day, everything used these conductive pseudo-straps. The had springy rake-like teeth with kind of a "lazy 'C'" shape. They were used between metal components that would contribute electrical noise if they weren't properly electrically coupled. They were everywhere, but seem to be a vanishing breed now.

So - what the heck do you call those. I suddenly find myself desperately needing 'em for something for which they were never designed. ;)

01-12-2009, 11:17 PM
Uh, I've always called them grounds straps. I have a pack of Alligator clips here from Harbor freight that has a couple of them in it if I'm thinking of the clips you're thinking of.

Is this it?
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/7/6/7/screenshot_thumb.png (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=887&c=3)

If so I think they are in this pack, unfortunately I threw away the cardboard so I can't verify the #:

01-12-2009, 11:28 PM
Sorry - I didn't describe it well. It looks more like this:

only one row instead of two so that it presses against the metal it's joined to.

[I found that by searching on: electrical clip springy grounding thing] :o

01-12-2009, 11:32 PM
Ah yeah I know what you're talking about now. We've used them in equipment racks before. I have no idea what they are called.

01-12-2009, 11:37 PM
Exactly a good place to find 'em. And exactly what they're called would be good for me to find 'em outside of an equipment rack or a mainframe/mini I don't wanna gut. :)

01-13-2009, 02:23 AM
Perhaps "Finger Stock"?

http://www.allproducts.com/ee/ajato/finger_stock.html for one pic example, or http://www.electronicsurplus.com/ccp69721-4-1-4-l-copper-finger-stock-for-shld--coppertex-b-4877.htm for another

01-13-2009, 03:27 AM
Think maybe that is it, and only found Mouser (http://mouser.com/catalog/636/921.pdf) and Mouser2 (http://mouser.com/catalog/636/922.pdf) to have some. Interesting hardware bit that might come up needed.

01-13-2009, 03:35 AM

+Rep all around!

Rudolph - how the heck did you know that?

That's the funny thing, you can find anything that you can call by its proper name. No name, no joy...

01-13-2009, 03:42 AM
I've found more sources now calling them EMI Spring Fingers, and EMI Finger Strips, and similar. Just a couple words opens the flood-gates. :)

[edit] "finger gasket" is a good search term.

Mommy Want!

EMI shielding gasket gives good returns too.

01-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Hmmm ... ashame you don't know anyone in the communications industry that would have lots and lots of those just laying around. If you did know some one I would say PM him and see what he can do;)
BTW I have heard them called "grounding clips" by the super-highly trained communication industry insiders.

01-13-2009, 11:03 AM
I probably would have sent a late night plea to someone in the communications industry even before I posted, figurin' he'd know where I could put grubby mits on 'em fast - but said insider was probably _sleeping_, go figger. :tongue:

01-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Rudolph - how the heck did you know that?

I wish I knew why/when that bit lodged up there. At least I should be able to remember why/when the EMI part was stored alongside it :)

01-13-2009, 12:01 PM
I understand - I've got a bunch of those myself. I'm impressed though!