PDA

View Full Version : Mech Warfare FAQ- Please Read if Participating.

DresnerRobotics
01-27-2009, 09:41 PM
There is a lot of info floating around in various threads, as well as on the Mech Warfare site itself...

If you plan on competing this year, or the next, here's what you need, and need to know.

A Mech- Duh.

Target Unit Board- This is the board that will connect to the 2-4 target panel sensors, and relay damage taken to the scoreboard PC. These are available at cost, fully built and tested for $25. If you are going to participate you are required to purchase one of these. You need to send me a PM to reserve one, no money is being taken at this time. I will inform you when I'm ready to order the parts, money can be sent to me via paypal. You will also need an Xbee ($19) and 2-4 sensors ($9 each) for a complete onboard target scoring system, totalling $62-80. These are available at the Trossen store, and more details will be published on building your target panels once the boards are closer to completion. If you're ordering the sensors/Xbee from Trossen, we can coordinate and ship out your Target Unit Board with your order to save on shipping.

Your own laptop/monitor for viewing and controlling your mech. Try to show up with everything you'll need to compete. I will have equipment onhand, but I'd prefer it if everyone was self sufficient. If you do not have a laptop, I will have a spare handy.

Airsoft Ammo. I'm not providing this, it's BYOBullets.

Spare parts, batteries, brains. Stuff breaks, especially when we're shooting at it. Expect to have part failures, breakage, etc, and plan accordingly.

Robogames Registration and Entry Fee- This is a $35 entry fee which covers admittence to the event, table space and chairs in the pit, as well as the electricity you'll use there. This is paid to Robogames and registered on their site. We just have a place holder listing right now, once I finalize the rules and send them over we'll be open to register. I will keep you informed.

Optional:

MechDAR Board- This is an optional HUD sensory system being developed and provided at cost for the members of the TRC. This uses the same AVR board as the Target Unit Board, but has different software and sensors. More information can be found on the MechDAR thread. (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=2832) You need to send me a PM to reserve one, no money is being taken at this time. I will inform you when I'm ready to order the parts, money can be sent to me via paypal. You will also need a laptop/desktop to run the HUD software, two Xbees ($19), an Xbee USB Explorer ($20), 5x IR sensors ($11-15 each), a Maxbotix EZ3 Sonar sensor ($30), a servo for panning ($15), and a pan sensor mount ($6) for a complete MechDAR system, totalling about $200. These additional parts are available at the Trossen store and a shopping list as well as a setup tutorial will be published in the near future. If you're ordering the sensors/Xbee from Trossen, we can coordinate and ship out your MechDAR Board with your order to save on shipping.

Beer. Robogames is a beer friendly environment. :D

Who/When/Where:

Dates:Fri-Sun, Jun 12-14, 2009 Where: Fort Mason, San Francisco
Map & directions (http://robogames.net/directions.php)

We're going to be sharing the arena with the Ant & Beetle weight combot guys, so we're going to be in the pits with the rest of the combat crowd. I would suggest showing up early each day, and expect after-hours gaming as well.

Hope to see everyone there! Cheers!

Adrenalynn
07-29-2009, 12:44 PM
New 2010 Rules Draft Discussion Here: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=3445