PDA

View Full Version : [Project] AVR Board for LegoŽ

Rudolph
02-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Due to a recent desire to stick an Arduino in a Lego project, I've come up with an AVR breakout board that mates with standard Lego bricks. Not a wholly original idea, I'm sure, but I couldn't find anything quite like it. I'm curious if anyone else is interested in having one so I'll try the poll thing too.

There won't be a whole lot to it, certainly not a full-on Arduino clone, but similar and compatible with the Arduino programming IDE.

Specs (subject to minor change):

6x6 stud PCB (approx 48mm square) with mounting holes on two parallel sides
ATmega168
16MHz ceramic resonator
All 28 pins brought out to female headers
6 pin ICSP header (2x3) for "regular" AVR programming
6 pin header for USB-TTL cable (http://ftdichip.com/Products/EvaluationKits/TTL-232R-3V3.htm) or similar (http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8772) (adapter not included)
Reset button
5V regulator (and associated caps) for logic power

Between my measurements and others' notes on the web I've not yet got specific mounting dimensions. As such I'll probably have to get two to three prototypes made first. Hopefully I'll be able to get them ordered up in the next couple weeks.

I'm hoping to have enough feedback by the time the prototypes come back (likely another 3-4 weeks after order) to know whether to try offering a kit. From what I've figured so far the price of the kit will be <= $20 (likely leaning towards the less-than). I may also offer just the PCB for those who already have 28 pin AVRs lying about.

LEGOŽ is a trademark of the LEGO Group of companies which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this project.

No0bert
02-10-2009, 02:44 PM
I would really love to see a picture of this

Rudolph
02-10-2009, 03:04 PM
One of these days, when I actually have one to photograph :)

For now I was just curious about general interest in the idea (not much so far). I haven't even managed to order the proto from batchpcb yet, although perhaps The Boss will okay that this weekend.

I'm also still waiting *grumble* on a futurlec order to finish up the pre-proto. Think protoboard, lego bricks, and superglue...