PDA

View Full Version : Mounting electronics to lexan

xero
02-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Hey guys, I am having trouble figuring out an easy way to mount my electronics to a sheet of lexan. I tried buying some spacers but the screw size is to big for the controllers I am mounting. I am trying to mount a ssc-32, a sabertooth motor controller and a serializer. I am a total noob so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

darkback2
02-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Easy way that probably doesn't look that good...velcro. Its lexane so you shouldn't have any grounding problems. Just slap a peice of velcro on the chip, and another on the lexane. Done and done.

Another way...probably the right way is to make a template of the SSC-32's hole pattern, then transfer it to the lexane, then drill out the lexane without cracking it (drill from both sides or scuff the lexane where you are going to drill or use tape and a backing board...) then get those wicked tiny spacer screws that come with the ssc-32 standoff kit thingy which is available from this website, and put it all together.

I'm sure there are reasons not to just use velcro...

DB

Quantum
02-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Make a template on paper or cardboard. Tape it to the lexan and drill your holes. Use a tiny bit for the first hole and go up in size. This will help prevent cracks plus its easier to drill that first small hole than doing your final size.

Then when enlarging the holes increment the bit sizes till your final size. This helps prevent cracks by taking small amounts of lexan out.

Paul

Adrenalynn
02-06-2009, 11:58 AM
On the SSC32, a #4 nut won't contact any pads or joints and makes a good spacer:
#4 screws, nuts, washers are available in numerous lengths from your local big-box home improvement store.

Here's an Arduino mounted with #4 screws through #6 nylon stand-offs with #4 nuts and washers attaching it to the Lexan. #6 stand-offs are the smallest my big-box home improvement stores carry - they work fine though.

I drill my lexan and acrylic on the drill press using minimal even pressure, low speed, lots of time. As long as I don't get closer than about 1/8" to the end of the plastic, I've never cracked it. Being VERY careful, I can get down to 1/16" from the plastic.

#4 hardware goes through a 1/8" hole just fine, although I tend to drill 9/64" just to give myself some "fudge-factor"

Connor
02-06-2009, 02:47 PM
I've made my own standoff's using styrene tubes from the local hobby store. Works great! Any length I want.. and can match the diameter of the standoff to the screw needed. As for the screws, go to your local Home Depot or Lowes and grab you a variaty lengths of #4-40's and #6-32 screws, get nuts and washers to match also. I find having a large number of these on hand makes trips to the hardware sotre less frequent and building much faster!

Thanks, Connor

Adrenalynn
02-06-2009, 05:49 PM
If you're going to buy in bulk, buy from http://www.boltdepot.com/ (thanks Metaform for the heads-up on this awhile back). You can get 500 bolts typically for what you'd pay for 25 from the big-box improvement stores. Also, you can find bolts down to at least #2 there as well as things like chromed fasteners (purdy!) and cap-head screws - things you just can't get at the home improvement stores like Hoes. (Pronouced like it's written - my shorthand for "home depot" and "lowes" ;)

xero
02-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Wow, thanks guys. I am really struggling with all the details right now of building my chassis so thanks for making this part easy on me.