PDA

View Full Version : Camera and Controller

RedDragonSniper
02-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Is there away to hook some sort of camera upto a controller and then when a picture is taken have it transmit the picture back to a PC? I would like to have some sort of color camera but b&W is fine. No video just pictures.

No0bert
02-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Look into a CMUCam or a AVRCam

Why not cut out the middle MCU? and just buy a wireless camera for 20 dollars and a laptop

RedDragonSniper
02-06-2009, 03:57 PM
What I'm wanting to do is be able to build a camera that is triggered by a motion and then snap three photos and have it transmit back to a folder on my computer. I was hoping to be able to use a XBee Pro for the connections back to the computer. I was hoping to be able to find a cheap camera that can also be used at night.

lnxfergy
02-06-2009, 05:01 PM
An XBEE is pretty slow for photo transmission, for instance, a 320x240 image in 8 bit color would take at least 5 seconds to transfer (assuming no compression....) If you are mounting an MCU out there, its likely to be even slower. For instance, it takes about 20 seconds for the AVRCAM to transmit a frame (which is about a quarter of the 320x240 size I mentioned)

-Fergs

Adrenalynn
02-06-2009, 05:54 PM
A point-and-shoot camera and compatible SDHC WiFi card. USB fires the camera, and then the data gets automagically shipped-out over the WiFi as the card is written to. I've got a few - they're uber-cool.

http://www.gearlog.com/2008/09/lexar_announces_shootnsync.php

http://www.eye.fi/

RedDragonSniper
02-06-2009, 07:35 PM
I saw the Eye-Fi. Which is really cool. I was hoping to build something similar to that. That is why I was looking at some sort of camera that could link to some sort of controller that could transmit back to a computer. Which of course I wanted to do all wireless. The range that I was going to be transmitting would probably be around 1,000 yards which is why I was looking at the XBee Pro since it is a low cost solution to the networking. The speed isn't really an issue to me as long as it can transmit a picture within about 4 hours of taking it.

Adrenalynn
02-06-2009, 08:22 PM
The XBee Pro is probably a good choice then. I would use a Sam7 or Sam9 with USB root host, a point-and-shoot camera, and write drivers for it. The A630 (and many other powershots) are ARM based, and the hacked code to run on the camera is open-source and scriptable. Should make it easier to write your own USB drivers to run on the SAM7 or SAM9 cores.

RedDragonSniper
02-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Thank you that is the information that I was looking for. Now I just need to figure out how to write drivers :veryhappy: