PDA

View Full Version : Target Plate Color

gdubb2
02-07-2009, 12:55 PM
I was going to ask about target plate color since I was unsure how the color of the plates could affect those of us using lasers for targeting.

So I dug out a book of various colored construction paper, and a bright red Sparkfun box to test the laser on. It seems that with my particular lasers (Walmart laser pointers) and my camera (Airlink AIC250W) it just doesn't matter. It sees the laser dot as an off shade of white, or pink. At any rate it seems to be very visable no matter what color the background is.

So, I figured I would still post a thread about it, in case someone else has concerns or knowledge that we should all be aware of.

Gary

DresnerRobotics
02-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Unless we have a specific need for coloring them, they won't be. For those of you using any sort of machine vision to assist in tracking/aiming, please bring an appropriate color of tape or clear tape + colored paper. Plan is to put this on the target plates on a per-case basis. Basically, I don't want to tell everyone to go paint their target plates X color for Y person, if others using vision based tracking are using different colors, or if no one is for year 1.

Bottom line, if you're using a vision base setup, bring your own supplies to mark your opponents target plates, and make it an easily removable solution.

Firestorm65
02-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Are target plates required to be opaque? As long as it is clearly not the same color as rest of the body.

DresnerRobotics
02-07-2009, 08:14 PM
I dont care what color target plates are, since we can add colored tape to them as needed.

Sienna
02-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Will there be rules on permissible "intrusion" into the target plate for the marking? E.g., for those of us with clear "cockpit" style target plates, which our camera is behind, is there going to be something that says "your mech must accomodate a 1/2" post-it style coloring around the edge of the sensing area"?

sthmck
02-08-2009, 12:06 PM
I was wondering if we have to have a target plate where the camera is going to be. I was going to have the camera off the body of the mech, and wasn't really planning on making it large enough for a target plate.

DresnerRobotics
02-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Will there be rules on permissible "intrusion" into the target plate for the marking? E.g., for those of us with clear "cockpit" style target plates, which our camera is behind, is there going to be something that says "your mech must accomodate a 1/2" post-it style coloring around the edge of the sensing area"?

Well I'm with you on this one, as my front target plate will also be shielding my camera. My plan was exactly that, like a 1/2" border around the outside of the target plate.

sthmck- I don't think that's a requirement. I mean, we don't want people having guns and cameras mounted on extensions so they can fire around corners without fear of taking damage, but otherwise just use your best judgment.

Adrenalynn
02-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Yup. My camera will also be behind my target plate.

lnxfergy
02-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Yup. My camera will also be behind my target plate.

I concur.

-Fergs

Adrenalynn
02-08-2009, 02:19 PM
It seems with the limited space and payloads MOST of us are working with Andrew - putting the target plate over the camera is a near must. That said - it's also more "realistic". If you wanted to "kill" your opponent in a mech, you'd concentrate your fire on their eyeballs - ie. the cockpit.

gdubb2
02-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Since I've mounted my camera in all it's cheesy glory, I ended up with the large focusing ring back on the lens. There was enough room to add 3 layers of .015 plastic between the ring and lens. It didn't seem to degrade the image much. Of course the image starts out pretty poor. I could add more, but feel that this will preclude me having to mount the camera behind a target plate.

Gary

A_Clawson
02-21-2009, 05:45 PM
If the camera is mounted on a pan-and-tilt assembly, then is the target plate still allowed to be mounted in front of the camera?

A_Clawson
02-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Is there a standard size which the target plates must be?

lnxfergy
02-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Target plates should be 3"x3". I believe that the size is a little flexible, but surface area is not, so you could use 2.75"x3.4" or so if you needed...

As to your question about the panning... if your camera is panning and tilting your guns are likely turning too, so yes you can mount your target plate in front of the camera. Basically the one main rule here is that your target plate should move with your guns.... so that if you can shoot them, they can shoot you.

-Fergs

Promagic
02-24-2009, 11:18 PM
so that if you can shoot them, they can shoot you.

-Fergs

So by this logic we could have a shield, however as long as its covering the target plate we shouldn't be allowed to shoot, right?

Before I read the rules I was hoping I could have a shield on my left arm that I could use to cover tender places like the camera when things got too hot, never really thought the target plate would need any additional armor. Of course I understand where you guys are coming from, if i saw a bot with a thick metal shield around its target plate shooting at me, that would be so cheap.

I'm in this game for the flavor, victory a hard earned desert

DresnerRobotics
02-25-2009, 01:24 AM
No shields.

Promagic
02-25-2009, 07:43 PM
No shields.
Lol, I know... They wouldnt work very well anyway.:rolleyes: