PDA

View Full Version : Pit safety

jes1510
02-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Do we have any regulations on pit safety? I believe that barrel covers should be required at the minimum when not in a match and safety glasses for anyone entering the arena. A visual indicator on when the guns are armed is probably a good idea as well.

An accidental discharge or injury is a great way to put an early end to this competition.

Thoughts?

gdubb2
02-07-2009, 09:38 PM
I would agree that barrel covers and a visable indication of the gun arming are great ideas. There's not much danger connected with the rest of the mech, so we shouldn't need to worry too much there. On the combat bots we had to use the ultra bright led's for power indications..

Gary

jes1510
02-07-2009, 09:49 PM
For those that don't know, this is a barrel cover:
http://www.iisports.com/dept.asp?dept_id=12357

Note that those won't fit because they are made for paintball guns.

Firestorm65
02-07-2009, 09:53 PM
What if you need to work on a weapon system and test it? You couldn't keep a barrel sock on for that. Also, what about other types of weapons? You can't barrel cover a rocket...

jes1510
02-07-2009, 09:58 PM
I would say weapons tests only in the arena. I would also guess that rockets would need to be disarmed with a visual indicator until in the arena. Once again I am not an organizer but this stuff does need to be decided ahead of time so that we can design for it.

Firestorm65
02-07-2009, 10:02 PM
I don't think it's fair to say "wait till the arena to see if you did fix the problem after all". I could see a target range set up for this as a solution. Visual indicators that it's ON not off, b/c then what happens when you disconnect the batteries; not that it is likely capable of firing while disconnected, but that would be an unnecessary drain that could reduce battery life in the arena if they don't swap right before going in.

Connor
02-07-2009, 10:14 PM
My guns came with those orange plastic inserts.. I plan on using that when my mech isn't in the arena. The completey block the barrel, and, have groves to let air escape incase of discharge.

Thanks, Connor

lnxfergy
02-07-2009, 10:16 PM
I don't think it's fair to say "wait till the arena to see if you did fix the problem after all". I could see a target range set up for this as a solution. Visual indicators that it's ON not off, b/c then what happens when you disconnect the batteries; not that it is likely capable of firing while disconnected, but that would be an unnecessary drain that could reduce battery life in the arena if they don't swap right before going in.

A) I have a feeling that weapons can only go live inside the arena, where it is fully enclosed.
B) I have a feeling ample test time will be available, especially if something broke last round.
3) Visual indicators are a battery drain? That 3-10mA for an LED is gonna make that big of a difference? If so: get real batteries.
D) Thank you for volunteering to build a fully enclosed target range..
V) Yeah, I ran out of things to say, but wanted to use Roman Numerals too....

-Fergs

Firestorm65
02-07-2009, 10:17 PM
I could easily build a target range for less than 20 bucks...

Adrenalynn
02-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Fully enclosed ballistics rated range for sub $20? Awesome! Link me to that lexan!

Remember also that we're guests of the event. Whatever their rules, regulations, insurance, religious, etc. requirements are is gospel.

Firestorm65
02-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Who said lexan, you want to see through, that's a feature that costs extra ;)
Seriously though, would it be hard to approve a 2'x4'x4' box, no bottom, that could be thrown over a mech if you need to test weapons? Even out of lexan (only needs to be rated for 450 fps bb's and microrockets, not as bad as some spinners), it shouldn't be outrageous. You really only need the top to be lexan though, the rest could be thin sheet metal or wood.

DresnerRobotics
02-07-2009, 10:56 PM
You can test your weapons inside the arena, or outside of the event in an area that Dave says is okay. Period.

All weapons systems will need to have a visual indicator that they are live. Yes this means an LED, the extra mA is something we can deal with granted you're not using Nicads from the 90s. I'm using some Tiny Bright Lights (http://flightlights.net/RcHeli.htm).

Weapons should have a physical disarm/arm switch, preferably with a safety cover.

Weapon barrel covers are also a must.

I'll get this stuff added to the rules on the site soon. These are all mandatory for competing, that's final.

Firestorm65
02-07-2009, 11:04 PM
I think we are misunderstanding again. I am agreeing with you, not challenging you. I am only suggesting a way to cheaply get a "safe" area outside of the arena. I misread the meaning of this
"I would say weapons tests only in the arena. I would also guess that rockets would need to be disarmed with a visual indicator until in the arena", so I clarified by saying they SHOULD have lights when LIVE, merely disagreeing with having lights on to show it is off or safe. And I do understand that I have only suggestions for solutions, not any weight in a verdict.

DresnerRobotics
02-07-2009, 11:50 PM
Right, but my time and resources are going to be pretty limited and devoted towards building the internal arena inserts.

If you want to take the time and money to build a safety firing box out of lexan, get it approved by Dave, and find some place to store it after the games, by all means. I'm just not going to devote resources to it when we have the arena itself to test in.