PDA

View Full Version : The cost to compete.

Firestorm65
02-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Last step towards approval involves getting a reasonable budget. I think $7000 is reasonable to build a top contender. I wanted to know approximately how much other people have spent on their mechs as further support for this number. If you don't feel comfortable with sharing how much you spent, could you at least give feedback on this number?

Edit: If you disagree, please include WHY as well. Note I am building a biped and have no parts whatsoever or anything that can be stripped for parts. Parts you already had should be considered part of the cost, just because they aren't brand new doesn't mean they were free.

Adrenalynn
02-10-2009, 11:57 PM
About $250.

Firestorm65
02-11-2009, 12:01 AM
Expanding question, if I'm off, why?

jes1510
02-11-2009, 12:14 AM
I'm in for around $250 as well.

DresnerRobotics
02-11-2009, 12:49 AM
I think a better way to get the answer you're looking for would be to ask: What's the average cost of a fully equipped biped using RX series servos. You're looking for an estimate on a high end biped, and a lot of people are building on a much lower budget.

I'll disclose the approximate cost of mine (since it can be easily estimated anyway), including labor for the metal brackets I'm looking at over $9500, approaching $10k quickly, for my RX-64 based mech.

My 2nd one, which is being built on somewhat of a budget, will probably land in the $1200ish range.

Firestorm65
02-11-2009, 12:53 AM
I guess I do have a problem with lacking clarity in this kind of setting. I would appreciate feedback on the cost of building a HIGH-END, BIPED close to the max 5 kg. Thanks Tyberius.

Sienna
02-11-2009, 05:03 AM
Don't forget airfare, lodging, food, etc for the competition itself.

lnxfergy
02-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Don't forget airfare, lodging, food, etc for the competition itself.

Or tools that may be needed - it's questionable whether University tools could leave for the competition... most of the labs I've seen end up buying their own equipment...

-Fergs

Firestorm65
02-11-2009, 01:53 PM
I don't think the screwdrivers, voltmeters, and all those kind of tools will be a significant impact on the budget even if we couldn't borrow them. I don't know if you are referring to other equipment, but we certainly won't be building parts there or anything requiring crazy expensive equipment.

Only other thought is the controller (computer). If the University doesn't offer, even though I know they have laptops available, I could just use my laptop, or any other team member's. Who (in science especially) goes to college without a personal computer anymore?

sthmck
02-11-2009, 01:56 PM
I dont. There are labs full of them. All I need is a 8gb thumb drive.

darkback2
02-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Hey Firestorm,

I would look at it more like this, if you are looking for or budgeting for a project, then you should already know what the project will be, and have a plan for how it is going to get put together. If you kow that, then you can total the cost of all of the parts. I would throw in an extra 20-40% for cost overruns, and then try to figure out a basic budget for travel/food/incedentals and what not.

If you are building a 6 degree of freedom per leg biped, then you are looking at about $275 or so per servo for the legs...if you want to build a robot like tybes that is...so for legs alone your looking at over 3 grand without spending a dime on brackets wires batteries controllers, a frame and the rest of the robot.

I guess my point is, don't just throw out a number...7k...make some hard decisions, and make a budget.

Oh...and for me...under $100

DB

lnxfergy
02-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Hey Firestorm,

I would look at it more like this, if you are looking for or budgeting for a project, then you should already know what the project will be, and have a plan for how it is going to get put together. If you kow that, then you can total the cost of all of the parts. I would throw in an extra 20-40% for cost overruns, and then try to figure out a basic budget for travel/food/incedentals and what not.

If you are building a 6 degree of freedom per leg biped, then you are looking at about $275 or so per servo for the legs...if you want to build a robot like tybes that is...so for legs alone your looking at over 3 grand without spending a dime on brackets wires batteries controllers, a frame and the rest of the robot.

I guess my point is, don't just throw out a number...7k...make some hard decisions, and make a budget.

DB

This planning is especially important when making a pitch. Having complete plans, including a thorough costs analysis + a build schedule + a roadmap of who will be involved and how they will be involved, can make the difference. Asking for money for a well thought out, well planned endeavor is always more successful than asking for handouts...

Many technical grant proposals are 2-3 times the length of the later paper that describes the work that took place...

-Fergs

LTGunner
02-11-2009, 07:40 PM
In the Program Management biz, we do two things: Develop the project cost & a work breakdown structure (or plan).

Heres a BASIC example of a simple Mech Project Plan:

Cost

Mech Platform (six servo bi-ped) $XXX.xx
Servo Controller $XX.xx
Microcontroller $XX.xx
Airsoft Cannon (s) $XX.xx
Power Supply / Battery (s) $XX.xx
Sensors (s) $XXX.xx
Software (Servo Sequencer) $XX.xx
Remote Controller / Wireless $XX.xx
Miscellaneous hardware $XX.xx
Test assets (as needed) $XX.xx
Logistics support (repair parts / tools) $XX.xx+
Optional Equipment $XXX.xx
Servo Upgrade $XXX.xx+

Work Breakdown Structure

Mech Warfare Bi-Ped Project / Overall Project XXX Days
o Prototype / Mech Planning XX Days
CAD / Simple Line Drawing
Component Availability
Resources
o Procurement XX Days
Research
Product Identification
Order & Delivery
o Mech Bi-ped Development XX Days
Assembly
Power Distribution
Servo Alignment
o Software Deployment XX Days
Testing
Software De-Bugging
Iteration Testing
o Remote Control XX Days
o Weapons / Sensor Package
Sensor Integration
Weapon Testing
Weapon Integration
Targeting
o Weapons & Sensor Integration XX Days
Alignment & Parallax Adjustment
o Mech / Weapons / Sensor Integration XX Days
Initial System Testing
o System Level Iteration Testing XX Days
Final System / Operational Test

Firestorm65
02-11-2009, 09:10 PM
I did a part list breakdown $3200 for the sensors, a couple hundred for sensors, etc... I don't have the list in front of me. I guess I just wanted to know if other people were in the same ballpark to see if I was ignoring something important/including unnecessary things.

Promagic
02-11-2009, 10:56 PM

DB
I don't have the depth in my money puddle to go buying "top of the line" servos and brackets. However I do have 5 or so working cheap servos and an old BRAT from lynxmotion.

There are three sides to a successful project: Budget, Labor "patience + experience", and total time spent on the project. you could spend 7k and get all the best stuff and build a kickass bot in a week or you could spend two years on it and use parts around the house, a lot of creative thinking, and some proper inventing and come up with a bot just as much kickass as the rest of them.

Adrenalynn
02-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Promagic - I agree.

I'm uncertain that infinite dollars equals infinite success in a venue such as this. What I almost always observe in competition is that a little money spent to augment a lot of creativity and intelligence wins the day.

Firestorm65
02-12-2009, 12:11 AM
I agree execution is far more important than cost of the components. I happen to be looking to build something that can easily carry it's own weight and a good sensor suite. I think I'm good and I'll sit back and just read until descent progress has been made on our mech.

metaform3d
02-12-2009, 12:58 AM
I'm uncertain that infinite dollars equals infinite success in a venue such as this.Ya think? I've spent more that I should have and come up with crap. Patience, experience and skill are pretty much everything in this hobby/craft.

Adrenalynn
02-12-2009, 02:23 AM
Haven't we all... Haven't we all...

I spend more money on stuff that never makes it onto a bot than I do on the bot parts themselves.

Zacattack
03-12-2009, 06:46 PM
im looking to buidl one for about 1000 $

DresnerRobotics
03-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Go the quadrapod route. Check out the ones from Lynxmotion, you can piece them together with SES. Much more cost effective than a biped.

MSK Mech Commander
05-13-2009, 03:14 PM
im looking to buidl one for about 1000 $

You're using a lynxmotion scout biped right? How'd that come to $1000?

I'm thinking maybe $1200 for complete package. Hoping under.

DresnerRobotics
05-13-2009, 03:41 PM
You're using a lynxmotion scout biped right? How'd that come to $1000?

I'm thinking maybe $1200 for complete package. Hoping under.

Connor would be the best source of information for making a Scout competition ready. He's using 5990s, and its barely enough for what he is loading onto this.

Adrenalynn
05-13-2009, 04:10 PM
5990's are around $125ea. 9 * 125 = $1125. Realistically, you're probably looking at 12 * 125 = $1500.

elios
05-15-2009, 05:08 PM
man... lynxmotion is cheap over there......... im looking at spending, like, 1100 NZD just to get the scout. WITHOUT anything else. just the 599USD scout..................... argh!

[edit] if only there was a cheaper way.......