PDA

View Full Version : How can I fry my Axon?

Resilient
02-14-2009, 05:58 PM
So I am getting to work making my first project that I may also enter into the junkbot competition.

I am working on making some light sensors to use with my Axon and want to make sure I don't fry anything.

For example, are there any pins on the 5V regulated 0-15 that would be bad news to connect wrong?

Like when I forget to put a resistor in a circuit with a LED, it blows up... I don't mind so much because its a $0.25 LED. On the other hand if that same thing can happen to my Axon board I need to be a little more careful that I don't do it.

I have an OK grasp of basic circuits, but the signal wire is basically new to me and I am not entirely sure about the workings of the Axon yet.

I learn best by experimenting, I just want to make sure I don't kill anything too expensive while experimenting. :happy:

Adrenalynn
02-15-2009, 12:07 AM
Oh yeah, you can certainly kill an MCU. Putting power where it doesn't belong. Pulling too much power from a pin that you shouldn't. Probably numerous ways.

Generally you'll just pop the pin or the pin and surrounding pins. I've had AVRs with a dozen dead I/O before. ;) They still keep going, just not on those dead pins.

societyofrobots
02-19-2009, 04:47 AM
To be honest, no one has reported frying a single Axon yet.

The only dumb mistake anyone made so far was forget to unplug USB while running away from the PC with the robot. He ended up ripping out the USB connector . . . but I helped him solder it back on and it still works.

And as Adrenalynn said, if you plug something in wrong to a pin, that pin alone will fry. I made that mistake twice back when I was first prototyping the Axon. Considering the number of pins on the Axon, I doubt it'll bother you much =P

The two worst things you can do:
- plug a battery into the ADC regulated line . . . this will kill your Axon . . . only plug battery into Bat
- reverse power into the 3.3V output header . . . this will kill USB

Otherwise all damage you do will be minor.

darkback2
02-19-2009, 05:09 AM
I encourage you to enter the junkbot competition. All bots are welcome. Just remember...be cheap! and have fun!

Good Luck!

DB