PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] Powering a Pico-itx

DaveAtDigital
02-25-2009, 04:26 PM
Hey all,
Like many of you, I picked up a Pico-ITX and am trying to build a rover out of it. I want to use a separate battery for the Pico, but Iím not sure what I need. I have the picopsu and the pico-itx. What's a good battery to use? If I connect a battery thatís higher than 12v, do I need a voltage regulator? Does the picopsu handle this function?
Any info is appreciated, Iím more of a software guy.
-Dave

Adrenalynn
02-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Hi Dave! Welcome to the forum!

You didn't mention which PicoPSU, but unfortunately if it doesn't have "WI" in the model number, it's not a great choice.

If it doesn't have "WI" [Wide Input] - you need to feed it a 12v supply - no higher, no lower. (ie. up to 13.2 under no load, but no less than something like 11.6). If it has WI in the name, then you can generally feed them 6-24v - check the documentation for your unit. Here's an example: http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-60-WI?sc=8&category=981

DaveAtDigital
02-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Hey, thanks for the reply Adrenalynn!

I donít think I have the WI, but itís okÖI can pick up a 12v battery, or get a voltage regulator. This may sound like an ignorant question, but do I need to put anything else in place on the circuit to protect the pico? What would happen if I connected it to a 12v car battery?
Dave

Adrenalynn
02-26-2009, 05:14 PM
You should be ok until the power starts to drop off. Then it's going to get flakey.

anandoc
02-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Obviously Adrenalynn is the top guru around here but I just thought I will put in my two cents since I have been playing around with my picoITX for a bit now. I have a picoPSU 60WI which can take from 6V to 26V. I tried to feed different voltages and found that the picoPSU is quite inefficient under 12VDC input supply. I posted my findings in another thread here. I would strongly advise you to pick up a 60WI if possible instead of what you have now.