PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] Pressure sensitive dance floor

Snake
02-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Hey yall, I'm trying to build a 12' x 12' dance floor using 2' x 2' squares of plexi. I would like to have the lights under the plexi light up when someone steps on it. I'm having a hard time finding the correct pressure switch for the job. I would like to plug the whole thing into the wall and power it that way. Anyone have any idea of what I could use? Thanks

Sienna
02-25-2009, 06:28 PM
take a look at the construction of dance mats for DDR. Usually, the lexan is bowed up, and an aluminum plate is under them. pressing on the mat causes the lexan to force the aluminum to strike a lower plate, resulting in a "press".

If you want to illuminate the whole system, you might need to use a 2'x2' lexan piece, a 2'x2' aluminum piece (cut with four 11"x11" square holes to give a window pane effect) and a lower aluminum piece cut the same way. That way light can still come through the holes, but you still have a contact switch. The only thing to worry about then is load capacity and supporting the deadspace in the holes.

metaform3d
03-16-2009, 03:58 AM
I think any physical deflection is bad for this project. I'd suggest force sensing resistor films like this (or similar) at one or two corners of each square:

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/3217--2-Inch-Force-Sensing-Resistor-FSR-.aspx

If you use more than one for each square you can wire them in series. You can read them with a microcontroller, although you will need 36 analog inputs which is more than any I'm familiar with. Once you read the trigger resistance you trip a relay. Plugging into the wall is easy if you have the right transformer.

Sounds fun. Good luck!

勉乃助
04-11-2009, 06:45 PM
We have something like what you're describing in the room next to my office. I can't remember at the moment what it was called. I'll see if I can record a video for you on Monday.