PDA

View Full Version : Swarm bot brain

Firestorm65
03-06-2009, 09:13 PM
What do I need in order to control two motors, two IR sensors, and one UVsensor? Microcontroller or microprocessor? Additional circuit parts? I need to keep the total circuit under $5, and be under $2 if at all possible. My processing needs are extremely modest, but I will need to program it. So I admit I don't know enough to know what I need, my only experience has been with an arduino with a full board and now I want to make an embeded system on a swarm bot as cheap as possible.

What specs are important for me to compare? And I can only buy parts off of Jameco, so that limits my options.

lnxfergy
03-06-2009, 10:13 PM
What do I need in order to control two motors, two IR sensors, and one UVsensor? Microcontroller or microprocessor? Additional circuit parts? I need to keep the total circuit under $5, and be under $2 if at all possible. My processing needs are extremely modest, but I will need to program it. So I admit I don't know enough to know what I need, my only experience has been with an arduino with a full board and now I want to make an embeded system on a swarm bot as cheap as possible.

What specs are important for me to compare? And I can only buy parts off of Jameco, so that limits my options.

I thought we just had this thread... 2 motors (one direction only) = 2 transistors, rating to depend on motor. 2 IR = 2 analog inputs (assuming GP2D12 or similar, if its just a digital on-off device, then 2 digital ins), UV sensor -- which one? only UV sensor I know of is the UVTron, which is like $65 -- but only requires 1 digital IO -- preferably an interrupt one. As for a processor that does all that, cheapest AVR with a serial port is $4 qty 1. Transistors, $.50-$1. The sensors are gonna costs you of course. I don't think its possible to build an IR sensor (even a digital one) for under $5 -- and a $5 one is gonna be a pain the butt to build, figure $5 each for IS471F based, or $10 each for GP2D12 or similar. The GP2Y0D340K might be the ticket at $6...

UV sensor though is tough. Like I said, UVtron is $65-70. You can build an IR-photodiode device, but it's gonna require sheilding to not set off at sight of the sun. Decent diodes that won't require a huge amount of amplification will run $0.80-1.00 each (and they might only have a 60degree cone of detection).

To program an AVR, you'll need an ISP.

-Fergs

lnxfergy
03-06-2009, 10:13 PM

Just saw this... good luck.. sensors from Jameco?

-Fergs

Adrenalynn
03-07-2009, 12:59 AM
[Mod Hat On]
This does look awfully familiar.

I was going to merge it, but it doesn't seem worth doing so since we're really just rehashing. Let's try to keep thread-splatter down...

I'm going to go ahead and lock this and you can redirect in your other thread.

Thanks!